Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2008 6:32:38 AM EDT
Is it common for CR123 batteries to just die. About a week ago I was using a Surefire G2 that has hardly been used. The light was nice and bright, turned it off for a second, and when I went to turn it on again it blinked once and was done.

I had a Fenix P2D handy so I tried each battery in that. One worked fine and one was dead. I left the good one in the Fenix and it's been fine until today. One second it was good to go and the next it just blinks once when I hit the button.

If I put the bad one in with a good one in a two cell light I get nothing.

Normal?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Stop changing the batteries in the shower!
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I have noticed on several lights that use 123s that the light stays reasonably bright until they die and then nothing.

Several brands.  The light doesn't get dim, it just doesn't work any more.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Surefire batteries are prone to having a bad one every now and then.  More so than some other brands but they are still a very good bargain.  You just have to weed out the occasional bad one like you did.

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#4]
When they die, they simply die.  None of that getting dimmer and dimmer crap.

You are usually running pretty close to 100% output until it goes tango uniform.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is it common for CR123 batteries to just die. About a week ago I was using a Surefire G2 that has hardly been used. The light was nice and bright, turned it off for a second, and when I went to turn it on again it blinked once and was done.

I had a Fenix P2D handy so I tried each battery in that. One worked fine and one was dead. I left the good one in the Fenix and it's been fine until today. One second it was good to go and the next it just blinks once when I hit the button.

If I put the bad one in with a good one in a two cell light I get nothing.Normal?

What you will get is a fire. Most if not all cr/dl123 are internally protected.Your G2 is a battery eater don't expect more than about 25mins run time total on a pair of 123 primaries.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Normal?

Mixing old and new CR123 batteries is a bad idea.  These batteries are designed for high-drain, and you can get in trouble if you aren't careful  Check out this link:
Backpacking Forums
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You are usually running pretty close to 100% output until it goes tango uniform.

+1  It is a feature.  Standard flashlights get dimmer and dimmer until worthless.  Surefires just plain work until the batteries die.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Normal?

Mixing old and new CR123 batteries is a bad idea.  These batteries are designed for high-drain, and you can get in trouble if you aren't careful  Check out this link:
Backpacking Forums

Thanks all!

I wasn't trying to get by cheap and leave it that way with one good and one bad, just wanted to see if I'd get anything at all.

If the G2s have that short a runtime then it's possible that these batteries had reached the end of their short but brilliant life!
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh, and be careful about buying cheap 123s on eBay.  Try to stick with name brands.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I've used 123's for a few years now and have noticed the same thing.I use Surefire batteries and one other brand(forgot the name)and both have just gone out when they are depleted.I guess this is just how it works with these batteries.I just carry a spare set with me for my light.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#11]
go rechargeable....
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No.  The graphs I've seen have an incredible drop initially then a long flat area at 50-65% output.  Then they just die one day.  You do get a brighter beam with new batteries, it only lasts for a minute or two though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  The graphs I've seen have an incredible drop initially then a long flat area at 50-65% output.  Then they just die one day.  You do get a brighter beam with new batteries, it only lasts for a minute or two though.

Correct they get dimmer almost immediately and then the discharge rate is relatively flat to the point where they expire. Surefire has no magic inside of their incandecents. It is direct drive,no regulation. LED is a different story almost all LED from repected manufacturers are regulated.

To the OP buy an LED drop in pill when your incandecent bulb assembly dies(which probably wont be too long) then you can have some extended run times,better,cleaner,brighter light and you will probably never replace it.

You can buy any brand cr/dl123 you want for under $2 a pop including Duracell and Eveready by buying in relatively small quatities.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have noticed on several lights that use 123s that the light stays reasonably bright until they die and then nothing.

Several brands.  The light doesn't get dim, it just doesn't work any more.

Regulated circuitry.  The light will work as long as there's enough ass left in the battery to give it full brightness, and once it drops below that it won't work at all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#15]
The lithium technology has a very flat curve (as noted above) after the initial surface charge is dissipated.

They also generate significant heat during discharge.

Once they die, the cooling is pretty quick and at the lower temp any slight reaming charge is not usable.

It is the penalty you pay for the high power density.

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
go rechargeable....

I have never seen rechargeable 123s.  Where can I get them and a charger?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#17]
i have had 2-3 pairs of surefire batteries that were relatively brand new just in 2 or 3 days time being in the light just die (light not left on or anything)
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I squirrel my "dead" 123s away for running in Inova LEDs I let my kids play with. They get plenty run time out of them and I'm not wasting new batteries for flashlight hide and seek etc.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
go rechargeable....

The chinese sites have them.  Do some research though, not all rechargeable batteries work with all lights.  I've got a small cheap chinese light with a rechargeable 123.  I'm sort of just waiting for it to explode though.

ETA- 123's or any other lithium battery have failure modes that include explosive venting.  Most have safety features which try to minimize the risk.  If they get too hot through discharge they can just conk out.  Surefires draw pretty hard on them.

batteryjunction.com bought out amondotech, the main supplier for the Titanium brand 123 cells.  They sell 'em for a buck each, and they sell 'em in connected packs of 2 and 3 cells as well.  Great to keep used cells together.  I always tossed my Surefire-dead cells in an Inova X5.  Still lots of life in 'em for that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#20]
i remember reading the lights have some kind of regulator thingy so that they work at full brightness or dead
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
go rechargeable....

Deal Extreme: Batteries
Deal Extreme: Chargers

Note that rechargable 123s typically have only half the capacity of standard non-rechargeable 123s - which can make for pretty short run-times in high-powered flashlights. However, they're great for applications where you only need to use the light for relatively short periods before you get a chance to recharge it, or where you can carry a few spares.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#22]
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13810    2 pack of soshine CR123 3v batterys
I have bought the 800ma green batterys on this site and they are dead after 6 months and the soshine are still working. you can get the 3.7v cr123 soshine batterys on this site but I have not tried them yet.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.770  the soshine battery charger 12vdc car plug and 110vac.

this place also has CREE LED upgrades for shurfire flashlights.
this place has free shipping, but it takes 10-14 days to get your stuff.
padkychas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top