Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2008 8:00:01 PM EDT
I am looking for some polarized sunglasses that double as protective eye ware. I am outdoors alot Shooting or Fishing and I am ready to step up from the $15 Wal-Mart cheapos. I can't afford or will not spend $250 for Oakley's so what else is out there that you use and like?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I scored some nice Oakleys from Steep and Cheap for ~$67.  Keep an eye out for the deals.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Oakleys for $65 on ebay.

You said polarized. I got nothing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]
$10 pair of Smith&Wesson from Tractor Supply.

I lost the pair I got from Dillon
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
$10 pair of Smith&Wesson from Tractor Supply.

I lost the pair I got from Dillon

This.  I love mine.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]
OAKLEYS

/thread
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Native.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Oakley Polorized Half Jackets - $160.00.  My all around glasses.  They meet ANSI Z87.1 spec as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Found a good pair of Smith VT-Is at steepandcheap for $57.
Normally about $170 online.

Polarized, titanium frame, comes with 3 interchangeable wraparound lenses, (full light, low light and clear) polishing cloth/bag, and zippered hard case that holds everything.

I stopped wearing my Juliets for these.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What Juliets do you have?  Those are my personal favorites.  I don't wear them a lot, mainly because I don't want them to end up looking like my half jackets, but they are by far the most bad ass sunglasses out there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What Juliets do you have?  Those are my personal favorites.  I don't wear them a lot, mainly because I don't want them to end up looking like my half jackets, but they are by far the most bad ass sunglasses out there.

Plasma, Fire Iridium (Think X-Men).

They look badass, I just beat the crap out of them at work, and the Smith VT-Is are MUCH lighter.

I need to send the Oakley's back to have the "lenses replaced".

Every time I have done this they have thrown my old ones away and shipped me a brand new pair for what new lenses would have cost me at the mall.

I have received 5 new pairs this way for the cost of lenses and $6 shipping to them, they cover shipping back.

You have to call Oakley directly and play dumb "I don't trust myself to replace the lenses, can I just send them in?"

Don't tell anybody.

Edit: did not mean to hijack the thread.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You have to call Oakley directly and play dumb "I don't trust myself to replace the lenses, can I just send them in?"

Don't tell anybody.

Edit: did not mean to hijack the thread.

Nonsense. Just call in and say you need your X metals refurbished. It's $51 for new lenses (non-polarized), flex coupler, and earsocks. This goes for all models.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Take a look at Dragons, They have been my favorites for along time now. My first pair were run over on the beach by an blind idiot of a lifeguard on a quad. both arms popped off. After looking at um i popped the arms back on and you couldn't tell it had happened, didn't even scratch the lenses.

After about four years of hard use the side emblems fell off but didn't affect the use of the shades. I bought another pair of the same sunglasses a week ago and I'm still loving them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Whatever glasses you end up getting, if they are for shooting they should meet ANSI impact standards.  If they don't you do not want to use them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Whatever glasses you end up getting, if they are for shooting they should meet ANSI impact standards.

How do you know if they do or not?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:20:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whatever glasses you end up getting, if they are for shooting they should meet ANSI impact standards.

How do you know if they do or not?

Have to check manufacturerer specs.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I wish Oakley would make a frame that accepts Halfjacket lenses but are thin over the ears.  I wear crappy glasses while shooting because my Halfjacket frame is uncomfortable under my Peltors.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#17]
If you are military, police, or a first responder of some sort you can get the following from US Standard Issue.

Half Jacket Polarized:  $75.00
Straight Jacket Polarized:  $85.00
Minute Polarized:  $80.00
M Frame Polarized Lens (Lens Only):  $60.00
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I wish Oakley would make a frame that accepts Halfjacket lenses but are thin over the ears.  I wear crappy glasses while shooting because my Halfjacket frame is uncomfortable under my Peltors.

Kharn

Yeah I hear you there.  I have Peltor Tac Sports and I was able to find a way to wear them and the half jackets but it is a pain.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Kharn

+1.

I find the half jacket frame to stop my pelotors from getting the proper earseal needed for hearing protection.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:36:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I got a brand new pair of Wiley-X Romer II's off of ebay for around $30.  Came with three sets of lenses, smoke, clear, amber.  You can buy additional colors if you want.  They work great and are military approved!

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:46:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Native.

This.

They don't manipulate their market prices as hard as Oakley does, and they usually go for cheaper.  Good shades, all polarized.

I picked up these, 'cept in a tiger eye frame with copper tinted lenses for $65 or so from Campmor on sale:

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Another vote for Wilex X
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Native.

Native.  They're the best, they're all polarized, have interchangeable lenses, look great, feel great, and if you break 'em, you can send them back to Native for a free replacement pair, minus $20 s/h.  I love mine.

ETA: I have the Dash XP model.  They have different models to fit different sized faces.  And they're only about $100.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:57:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I have two pair of Oakley's they are great glasses, I read a review in Field and Stream about them. They actually stand up better on the impact resistance test than most shooting glasses.

The bad part is a ran over a pair of them and broke one of the arms (yes that is all I broke), but sure as hell you can't just buy an arm you have to purchase the whole frame. Oh well...
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Kharn

The flak jacket won't accept HJ lenses, but it is flatter over the ears.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top