Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2008 6:17:14 PM EDT

Even if you leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door, there is still a chance that housekeeping may come in to tidy up anyway while you are gone, and therefore no matter what you assume, between the mattresses is not a safe place to hide your piece since they make the bed for you.  Thank goodness it was still there safe and sound upon my return.

disclaimer:  I can't carry onto this particular job site, and, my transportation is being provided, so neither were options.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Small safe to carry along with you might be a good idea if this is a common problem for you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
eta pic of said piece

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
It's safe to assume that

(1)Housekeeping doesn't habla Ingles.

(2)Do not disturb signs mean you have something worth stealing in the room.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Small safe to carry along with you might be a good idea if this is a common problem for you.

if the safe is portable, so is the gun in it.

most hotels have small safes in the room nowadays.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
IBTYNABGP (In Before The You Need A Bigger Gun People)
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Even if you leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door, there is still a chance that housekeeping may come in to tidy up anyway while you are gone, and therefore no matter what you assume, between the mattresses is not a safe place to hide your piece since they make the bed for you.  Thank goodness it was still there safe and sound upon my return.

disclaimer:  I can't carry onto this particular job site, and, my transportation is being provided, so neither were options.

Do NOT EVER put a Gun under the Matress!!!
My Father taught me that 30 years ago when he walked in my room and went directly under my matress to retrieve his 38 snubby that I always borrowed.  I said "Dad, how did you know it was there"  He said "That's where EVERYONE puts them!!"  lol

Put the piece in a side of your luggage!
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I had that crap happen to me when I was a contractor on the road in FL (Iwas a FL resident and had a CCW).

I had even called the front desk and asked for NO room service.

Got back to the hotel and had a message on the vmail saying the Cops wanted to talk to me.....

Maid entered against my wishes and made the bed, found the gun.

Maid freaked out, the LEOs came and "confiscated" the gun, and everyone I spoke with at the hotel was convinced it was illegal to have a gun with you, period.

Went to the station,picked up my gun, and found another hotel.

My mistake.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes, some people I know would put something that small into a padded envelope, taped shut (not sealed, just taped) with a rubber-stamp of a ficticious biological laboratory in the upper left corner, and maybe even some tiny biohazard stickers on it...

This package could be left out in plain view and was never touched.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Roll of duct tape. Piece of cardboard for a holster. Under side of desk, table, bed rail, etc.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
It has taken some hotel staffs weeks to find dead hookers under the mattresses
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Picked this up recently, since I have a CHL.  Figured it might come in handy in just the sort of situation you are describing.  The gun compartment has a zipper that locks with a key and appears pretty sturdy.  Looks like any normal, average planner from the outside.  Wouldn't attract too much attention if you had to leave it in your hotel room unattended.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Picked this up recently, since I have a CHL.  Figured it might come in handy in just the sort of situation you are describing.  The gun compartment has a zipper that locks with a key and appears pretty sturdy.  Looks like any normal, average planner from the outside.  Wouldn't attract too much attention if you had to leave it in your hotel room unattended.

i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/omega62/CCWPlanner1.jpg

i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/omega62/CCWPlanner2.jpg

i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/omega62/CCWPlanner3.jpg

i'll take three
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'll take three

CCW Planner
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sometimes, some people I know would put something that small into a padded envelope, taped shut (not sealed, just taped) with a rubber-stamp of a ficticious biological laboratory in the upper left corner, and maybe even some tiny biohazard stickers on it...

That sounds like it's just asking for a SARS scare
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that would get you Homeland Security in your hotel room looking for bioterrorism.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'll take three

CCW Planner

Rink no worky.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'll take three

CCW Planner

Rink no worky.

Sorry.  Try this one...

Hopefully This Works
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that would get you Homeland Security in your hotel room looking for bioterrorism.

probably not if it was addressed to say, "National Center for Employee Drug Testing" or some such.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are really motivated, most lower-end hotel/motel chains have the a/c-heater unit below the window. Pop the front cover off and tape the weapon inside there. While you are doing that, take the filter thingy off and wash it in the bathtub with the shampoo they give you. Some nasty stuff comes out of there and it generally helps with the smell of the room (if it's really musty)
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]
If it's not possible to carry it, I prefer to hide it in the car and would never leave a gun in a hotel room, even in a lock box.  It may be possible to put the gun in a small nondescript lock box and then in the hotel safe at the desk.  Mags/ammo in car or pocket.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have two and am sending in for CHL soon
Mine do not have all the stuff they just serve to make it not seen.....
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That is a nice little carry pouch. However if I was going to be looking through peoples shit while they were gone I would DEFENATLY find that and look through it. I like the duct tape idea. In a hotel the maids know every little nook and cranny hiding spot that is in their rooms.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a nice little carry pouch. However if I was going to be looking through peoples shit while they were gone I would DEFENATLY find that and look through it. I like the duct tape idea. In a hotel the maids know every little nook and cranny hiding spot that is in their rooms.

The zipper on the gun compartment locks with a key.  I tried fiddling with mine while it was locked and the lock appears very strong on it.

It's not an ideal solution, you're right, but it would be better than nothing.  I like the air conditioning idea too.

EDIT: P.S.  From now on, if I am checking into a hotel, I am going to demand to know if "ak4784" works there first!  Ha ha.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top