Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2008 4:48:34 PM EDT
Someone gave me a 533 MHz PowerPC G4 w/ 768 MB SDRAM.  It is running Mac OS X Version 10.3.9
(All that is from the About this Mac)

I need to upgrade this thing's OS desperately.  Almost everything internet related is stunted. What are my options???
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Mac help lists the requirements for 10.4 leopard as

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

Mac specs
You may be SOL.
I'm limited currently with 10.4 OS  as my machines a 800 MHz ppc.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#2]

OS X likes RAM.  Lots and lots of RAM.  My laptop came with 512Mb and the first thing I did was dump the old DIMMs and install 2GB and I could probably use more.

Don't expect the 533MHz PPC to be blindingly fast by today's standards, but with more RAM and the latest OS it should be very serviceable.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can run Tiger which is 10.4 you will be good to go with everything modern.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Can I add ram or is that it?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Almost everything internet related is stunted.

What browser are you using?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#6]
do the free update and get Tiger 10.4.9, its good enough for 99% of mac peoples uses

Also, get firefox 3 on that, it uses less memory
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Can I make a suggestion? If you aren't dead-set on using OS X on that older machine, you might want to install the PPC (Power PC) version of Fedora Linux on that machine. Linux is a great alternative when you want to get as much use out of older hardware as possible.

I'm running it in a dual-boot configuration on a 1.33GHz Powerbook with 768MB of memory and it flies on this machine. While that may sound fast compared to yours, keep in mind that the bus speed (speed at which the processor accesses main memory, etc.) is also only 167MHz. It should perform reasonably well on your machine as well.

PM me if you need/want any pointers with installing it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top