Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2008 10:56:41 PM EDT
I found this article written by a person who is a believer in the "Diversity is our Strength" crap, Yet finds in his research that the concept is complete and utter bullshit--What most of us already know.

Give it a read and let me know what you think.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/08/05/the_downside_of_diversity/
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#1]
What do I think - the author said it best -

But on a topic as charged as ethnicity and race, Putnam worries that many people hear only what they want to.

"It would be unfortunate if a politically correct progressivism were to deny the reality of the challenge to social solidarity posed by diversity," he writes in the new report. "It would be equally unfortunate if an ahistorical and ethnocentric conservatism were to deny that addressing that challenge is both feasible and desirable."
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:31:50 AM EDT
[#2]
He's got to use weasel words or his career would be destroyed. It's a perfect example of Double Think. Big Brother would be pleased.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Think
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:44:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He's got to use weasel words or his career would be destroyed. It's a perfect example of Double Think. Big Brother would be pleased.

Thanks, but I read 1984 before... 1984.

I am continiously told that no arfcommer has any problems with diversity.  This thread seems to suggest otherwise.  I am interested in what policies or procedures you would like to see implemented based on this study - nothing "weasely" of course, I'm sure.

How much diversity is acceptable to you?  In what kind of workplace would you prefer to work?  What kind of neighbors would you prefer to have?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:58:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am continiously told that no arfcommer has any problems with diversity.  This thread seems to suggest otherwise.  I am interested in what policies or procedures you would like to see implemented based on this study - nothing "weasely" of course, I'm sure.

How much diversity is acceptable to you?  In what kind of workplace would you prefer to work?  What kind of neighbors would you prefer to have?

I do not believe in any policies whatsoever.

Frankly, I don't give two shits about my neighbor's race, gender, or ethnic backgrounds. All I want is a nice clean, quite, crime free place to live.

I do not believe in Affirmative action or any race based groups such as the NAACP or the KKK. It's all racism, all the same to me. When you start comparing groups of people based on skin color and ethnic background it's wrong, no matter who it benefits.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:11:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Clearly we need some inspiration to overcome our backwards tribalism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEOkxRLzBf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOEU87SBTU&feature=related
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:26:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I see diversity as the natural byproduct of a free and fair society.  By fair society, I mean a meritocracy (or capitalism); not the liberal kind of fair.  I do not see diversity as an end; it is simply something that will happen if we remain free.  It has already happened to a large extent and that is because we are relatively free.  Liberty and justice are the goals, not diversity.

Obviously, the government forcing diversity does NOT ensure a fair society.  Diversity does not prove a society is fair or free.  It can be an indicator.

I am interested in what policies or procedures you would like to see implemented based on this study - nothing "weasely" of course, I'm sure.

The end of EOE and affirmative action for publicly traded and privately owned companies.  Not much else, I don’t know what other policies might be relevant.  People should be free to live and work where they want and employ who they want.

How much diversity is acceptable to you?

I do not have a preference.  I live in a suburb with large black and Mexican populations.  It makes no difference except I get angry when I see able bodied people on food stamps or WIC at the grocery store.  I would only like to live in an area with conservative majorities because I don’t want to live under liberal policies and high taxes.

In what kind of workplace would you prefer to work?

meritocracy

What kind of neighbors would you prefer to have?

People who work for their money and therefore belong in my neighborhood; not section 8ers relocated from some Chicago ghetto.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not believe in any policies whatsoever.

Frankly, I don't give two shits about my neighbor's race, gender, or ethnic backgrounds. All I want is a nice clean, quite, crime free place to live.

I do not believe in Affirmative action or any race based groups such as the NAACP or the KKK. It's all racism, all the same to me. When you start comparing groups of people based on skin color and ethnic background it's wrong, no matter who it benefits.

We seem to be perfectly in agreement.  I don't believe in forcing diversity by policy.  I also do not believe it is a negative thing to have - which other posters seem to have insinuated (not you, though).

As I have said before, humans are inherently tribal.  The study does not surprise me.  I also believe that succombing to tribalist thinking is akin to succombing to any other animal instinct and is a sign of low intellect and a disgrace to the potential of humanity.

There are those who would argue for setting aside the concepts of a meritocracy and individualism for a tribal mindset, that the diversity that the meritocracy may produce is harmful.  It is to such people - should they exist here - that I focused my question.

Perhaps some of the infamous Beslan thread participants?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#8]
"I see diversity as the natural byproduct of a free and fair society."

I agree with this.  I do not agree with quotas of any kind but . . .

Each and every day every human being makes snap decisions about others based on things that may not have any application to the individual.  These judgments sometimes stick.

I mean things like this:
Are they Fat.
Are they Tall.
Do they have an accent.
Do they have a speech impediment.
Are they Southern.
Are they a racial Minority.
Do they seem to be gay.
Are they obviously of a religious minority.
Do they speak as if they have a college education.
Are they dress as if they are middle class or better.

The list goes on.  We make a judgment.  The judgment may affect the economics of our transactions.  A fat southerner who dresses and speaks poorly will make less money on average than a thin midwesterner who speaks and dresses well - on average.

Is it right - No.  Do I have a fix - No.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top