User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/15/2008 12:10:16 PM EDT
politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

October 15, 2008
Electoral Map Update: A red state swings toward Obama
Posted: 04:00 PM ET
Obama is picking up more electoral votes in CNN's electoral map.

(CNN) – For the first time in the election cycle, CNN’s Electoral Map shows Democrat Barack Obama moving over the 270 electoral vote threshold needed to win the White House. The hotly contested state of Virginia moves from “tossup” to “lean Obama.” North Dakota moves from “safe McCain” to “lean McCain,” and New Jersey moves from “lean Obama” to “safe Obama.”

As a result, 13 electoral votes swing from the tossup column to the Obama column. Obama now leads McCain by 103 electoral votes, up from 90 when the CNN Electoral Map was last updated on October 7. CNN now estimates that if the presidential election were held today, Obama would win 277 electoral votes and John McCain 174. There are 87 electoral votes up for grabs. Again, 270 electoral votes are needed to win the White House.

Obama continues to make gains on the Electoral Map — and chip away at McCain's territory — thanks to results from states that typically support Republican presidential candidates.

"Virginia hasn't gone Democratic in 44 years," noted CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. "But a number of polls — including our own — now show Obama up double digits there. And, as the map shows, if Obama holds that lead, it may be enough to put him into the White House. Conversely, McCain really can't afford to lose Virginia's 13 electoral votes. That state is a key part of the Republican electoral coalition."

The GOP ticket has spent much of the week stumping in traditionally red states where Obama seems poised for an unexpectedly strong showing, including Virginia and North Carolina.  A new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released earlier Wednesday showed Obama with a 10 point lead In Virginia.

"Of course, it's important to remember that the CNN Electoral Map is a snapshot in time," said Silverleib. "We are not predicting an Obama win on Election Day. We still have twenty days to go, and that's an eternity in politics."

The CNN Electoral Map is based on analysis from the CNN Political Unit and takes into account a number of factors, including polling, state voting trends, ad spending patterns, candidate visits, and guidance from the campaigns, parties, and political strategists. The list will be updated regularly as the campaign develops over time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
CNN ... yeah ...
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
That's actually pretty conservative.

Realclearpolitics.com has had Obama with over 300 electoral votes for about a week now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#3]

The CNN Electoral Map is based on analysis from the CNN Political Unit and takes into account a number of factors, including polling, state voting trends, ad spending patterns, candidate visits, and guidance from the campaigns, parties, and political strategists who the commies at CNN are pulling for. The list will be updated regularly as the campaign develops over time.

Fixted
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
What percent is the minority population in Virginia?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#5]
virginia will NEVER go obama!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Tell your Obama leaning neighbors you'll see them at the polls on the 5th.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They said the same thing about Webb in 2006.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Obama's coming to Roanoke on Friday. I'm willing to bet the staff at the Roanoke Times are creaming in their jeans to be so close to the Messiah.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck Obama and his wife.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

he won by a few thousand votes, and george allen was not well loved.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Calling people monkies does not help a campaign.  A little of Allens home life slipped out in a big way.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Obama's coming to Roanoke on Friday. I'm willing to bet the staff at the Roanoke Times are creaming in their jeans to be so close to the Messiah.

they got REAL rednecks down there
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#13]
How about we wait until election day to determine the winner?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Has ACORN been busy in Virginia?  The only way o'bamma wins is by voter fraud.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

he won by a few thousand votes, and george allen was not well loved.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Calling people monkies does not help a campaign.  A little of Allens home life slipped out in a big way.

And calling The One a great guy that we don't have to be worried about IS helping?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Tell your Obama leaning neighbors you'll see them at the polls on the 5th.

Better yet tell them you'll see them after the polls.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And calling The One a great guy that we don't have to be worried about IS helping?

that one statement that macain made, showed me he,s caved and thinks he cant win.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Webb is a shitheel no doubt, but to my knowledge he has not voted for gun ban legislation.  That is about all "WE" can hope for out of him.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You've obviously never been to Northern Virginia.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#21]
2006 party ID in Virginia was R 39  D 36  I 26

Compare that with the samples used in recent Virginia polls

campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZTA5ZDAxNmZjMzIzNDM0NDU1MGUyMGJhY2I3MmM2ZGU=
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

North Carolina is supposed to go Obama also.

Nothing more than CNN bullshit trying to spin the polls in their favor.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I think McCain has given up in VA , I have not seen ANY McCain ads on TV / radio . I hear/see maybe 3 or 4 Obama Ads a day
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Obama is leading by about 10 points here. You have a large AA population that typically doesn't vote, that will vote this time. By November both of our senators and our Governor will all be democrat. Warner is leading Gilmore by 30 %.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I live in the middle of commie central Alexandria and I see slot more McCain signs now than I saw Bush signs in 2000 or 2004.  Granted I still see more Osama signs than McCain signs, but I think the percentage of McCain vs Obama signs this time around seems greater than Bush Vs Kerry/Gore did.
Thats just my local observation.
I just don't see Virginia going blue, I put it down to selective polling by the MSM.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Webb was a decorated Marine and former Republican. Allen took a student deferrment and became a lawyer. With the LARGE numbers of active and retired military in VA, Allen just didn't 'click'.

Even with all the .gov libs in NoVA, I have a hard time imagining VA going to Obama. It's a far more conservative state than polls or demographics reflect...
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I think McCain has given up in VA , I have not seen ANY McCain ads on TV / radio . I hear/see maybe 3 or 4 Obama Ads a day

Uh, he was in VaBeach area earlier this week....right?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Calling people monkies does not help a campaign. A little of Allens home life slipped out in a big way.

That's BS I didnt know what it meant either. Sounds like ka ka, baby talk for shit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I saw a stand set up at a Metro station in Alexandria. They picked their location well  

If they're to be found in VA, it'd be Alexandria, Richmond, or Hampton. All wretched hives of scum and villainy..
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Apparently CNN doesnt poll outside NOVA.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, he was in VaBeach area earlier this week....right?
they were in richmond monday drew 30,000
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#32]
If Virginia goes for Obama, i'll move to Alaska.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#33]
No wonder VA is turning blue...

Norfolk woman charged with election fraud over applications
Posted to: Crime Elections Norfolk

By Debbie Messina
The Virginian-Pilot
© October 15, 2008

NORFOLK

A 22-year-old Norfolk woman who worked for a national voter registration organization was indicted Wednesday on three counts of felony election fraud.

Cassandra McNair is accused of turning in voter registration applications to the Norfolk voter registrars office that contained false information.

She worked for Community Voters Project, which has been accused of turning in fraudulent voter-registration applications in other states.

Amanda Howie, spokeswoman for the Norfolk Commonwealth’s Attorneys office, said other cases of potential voter fraud are still under investigation.

It’s the second round of voter fraud charges in Hampton Roads this election season. In July, three people were charged in Hampton. Those cases are pending in court.

Meanwhile law enforcement officials are still investigating questionable voter registrations in Virginia Beach and Portsmouth.

While accusations of voter registration fraud is widespread in several other battleground states, Virginia has escaped much of the national scrutiny.

“There is no history of this kind of thing happening in Virginia and no one expects it at this time,” Gordon Hickey, Gov. Tim Kaine’s spokesman, said. “If there are isolated incidents, we urge people to contact local law enforcement or local registrars.”

Republican Party of Virginia Chairman Jeff Frederick disagrees. “I hear an incredible amount of stuff in regards to registration,” Frederick said Wednesday, adding that he’s not aware of anyone else being charged in Virginia.

More on "Community Voters Project" and ACORN fraud here:

here
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't believe the polls wrt VA.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Palin was just in VB and Richmond this past Monday
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've obviously never been to Northern Virginia greater Fairfax.

My area of NOVA, votes strong Republican in every election.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I don't want to say given up... but maybe took VA for granted?  

I'd put the ratio of TV/radio ads @ 7-1 Obama.  You can not watch TV for 15 minutes and not see an Obama ad.  I might see one or two McCain ads a night.

Yards signs in my area are 2-1 Obama, and I live in an 'economically diverse' part of town.  

What has my attention are the startling number of 'Veterans for Obama' bumper stickers on 395/95 heading home every night.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't believe polls, ever.  Who do you think came up with statistics?  That's right, Obammunists.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd put the ratio of TV/radio ads @ 7-1 Obama.  You can not watch TV for 15 minutes and not see an Obama ad.  I might see one or two McCain ads a night.

Yards signs in my area are 2-1 Obama, and I live in an 'economically diverse' part of town.  

What has my attention are the startling number of 'Veterans for Obama' bumper stickers on 395/95 heading home every night.  
fake ass vets
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Old Virginia is going to be sad if Obama is elected and starts canceling defense spending.  The state of VA lives or dies by defense spending.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Old Virginia is going to be sad if Obama is elected and starts canceling defense spending.  The state of VA lives or dies by defense spending.  

Oceania, Newport News, etc.

Yep. He'll screw that state in the ass with a cattle prod.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've obviously never been to Northern Virginia greater Fairfax.

My area of NOVA, votes strong Republican in every election.

Newly illegal alien free Prince William County?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe they're veterans of the anti-war movement?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#44]
FUCK POLLS!

At this stage they are designed to supress the vote.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery to the media spin machine.  

We decide this shit, not them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#45]
My grandfathers would are turning in thier graves.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:53:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I still see some, even last night.  None on the major networks though, just cable stations.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:03:25 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Its money,Obama simply has more of it right now and has been using it to spam the hell out of every radiostation in NOVA from what I can tell. I have quit listening to the radio as I'm absolutly sick of hearing his nonsense.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:05:44 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The wife didn't even know anything about it until I told her last night.  Her reply was "Well, I guess it is going to be real quiet Friday afternoon"
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its money,Obama simply has more of it right now and has been using it to spam the hell out of every radiostation in NOVA from what I can tell. I have quit listening to the radio as I'm absolutly sick of hearing his nonsense.
I am getting mass mailings every day from the Obama campaign.  I am talking really nice quality mailings that must have cost an arm and a leg to produce.  This is what happened when Obama rejected public financing and McCain was to take it.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:13:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Bullshit
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top