Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2001 7:29:06 PM EDT
I have a line on a Winchester M1 that appears to be in good to very good condition. What should I look for as far as wear and damage on the gun? How can I tell if it is a frankengun? Assuming everythng checks out what would be a fair price for it (the guy is selling it for $639)? I know CMP is cheaper, but I want a Winchester, and as I understand it, CMP does not take requests. TIA.
Kyle

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
After you've shot say 5-7 rounds from the en-block, can you "top-off" during a pause in action?  How is this done?

DaMan  
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:15:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:22:55 AM EDT
[#4]
After reading this thread I'd say just follow raf's advice.  One more thing, believe me, you can reload an M1 [i]very[/i] quickly - these are really cool rifles.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Kyle-
Almost all of the M1's in the inventory the CMP is drawing from have been arsenal-overhauled at least once. I doubt those armorers paid more than passing attention to who made the parts they installed during the overhaul process, so it's not unusual to receive an M1 directly from the CMP with mixed manufacturer parts. Having said that, the M1 I got from the DCM back in the '80's has all Springfield parts. I've seen some real nice M1's from the DCM/CMP, as well as a few dogs that made Blue Sky M1's look good. If you find a good Winchester rifle, I think the price you quoted is a good one. If it has a few parts from a different manufacturer, you can do some shopping and change them out for Win. parts later. Point is, if you do find an all Winchester M1, there's no way to document that all the parts are original to that rifle.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info.

I am not really concerned about the gun having mixed USGI parts, just non GI or non USGI spec parts. I figured at that price the gun had to have been rebuilt by an armorer at least once.

Kyle
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Even if its mixed and matched its worth it if the gun is in good condition, The main thing is the barrel. Everything else can be easily replaced.
Look to see if the stock is tight on the action. Also look at the lugs on the trigger gaurd. If the stock is old and oil soaked the action wont lock up tight when you put it together.
I bought one, an H&R, the other day with a perfect like new barrel. The guy who had it claimed it would not shoot very accurate. I changed out the stock and put a new trigger gaurd on the trigger housing. Now it shoots 3/4 inch at 100 yrds with lake city ball. Its a keeper but not a collector grade gun.
If you enjoy messing with old guns Garands are great. Lots of guys mess with them and most are only to glad to share there knowledge with another shooter. I myself am no expert and I always like to learn more when I can.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a line on a Winchester M1 that appears to be in good to very good condition. What should I look for as far as wear and damage on the gun? How can I tell if it is a frankengun? Assuming everythng checks out what would be a fair price for it (the guy is selling it for $639)? I know CMP is cheaper, but I want a Winchester, and as I understand it, CMP does not take requests. TIA.
Kyle

View Quote
You live in Spokane don't U. If you do and it's the one at NORTHWEST COLLECTOR ARMS it's a good deal. I gave it a good look over and it's a CMP Danish WIN-13 serial 1,63 mil with its original Winchester barrel. The only Win parts are the recvr and barrel and I believe most of the trigger group. If I didn't own 3 Win M1's already I would have bought it ! I would call this M1 a shooter grade..
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#11]
What I love most about my Garand is how, at the range, it is always the center of attention. There can be a dozen guys shooting space guns and people will ignore them and come up to me to look at my M-1. Especially the older guys who carried one in WWII or Korea. They're always good for a story or two about the old days...

Matt
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]
... Us poorboys whom can only afford a mixmaster still praise the rifle.
Bought a "mutt" for $400. I was gonna sell and buy a CMP but the deal was in my face at the time.
I'm not really one for "value" as much as I am for quality, reliability and functionality.
I must say, for $400 this tough old ugly mutt bastard is not up for sale!
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kyle

View Quote
You live in Spokane don't U. If you do and it's the one at NORTHWEST COLLECTOR ARMS it's a good deal. I gave it a good look over and it's a CMP Danish WIN-13 serial 1,63 mil with its original Winchester barrel. The only Win parts are the recvr and barrel and I believe most of the trigger group. If I didn't own 3 Win M1's already I would have bought it ! I would call this M1 a shooter grade..
View Quote

Yes, I go to school in Spokane, but that is not the Garand I was talking about. Do you remember the price on it? It would be nice to have a back up in case someone buys the other M1.

Kyle
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#15]
OK slasher, well you also said to look out for bent op rods.  Well a *really* bent op rod is a problem caused by using heavy bullets, but the M1 op rod is supposed to be slightly bent, if it were straight it wouldn't work.

Hey, if we're gonna jump on peoples, uhhhh, stuff . . . [;)]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Wiggins;
NWCA wants 650 $ and it's a consignment , It's the best deal on a Winchester in town. The only other Win M1 I've seen at gun shops lately is at All American Arms, It's a clunker piece of krap import BLUE SKY Winchester M1 that has a shot out barrel and some non GI Korean replacement parts for Somwhere around 600 $, I hope this isn't the one your looking at.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw the one at All American Arms when I went pick up my FAL receiver, and it is $639, but not the same as the one I am looking at (which is currently in Mapple Valley). Thanks for the heads up.

Kyle
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Slasher,
Some guys are better shooters than others.
To bad you don't live around here close so I could show how good this rifle shoots. It surprized the hell out of me when I started shooting it.
You are not the first guy who claimed BULLSHIT
when I told them about it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll try and hit the range tommorrow. It's been windy as hell the last couple of days so I might have to try this weekend. I will send you a target.
I shot my best group with it off of sandbags on a calm day. I doubt I can match that shooting prone. I don't have a scope but I am using a national match rear sight and a front sight post that is about .060"
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the advice, but after doing some quick math I decided that it just isn't worth it to buy the Garand from NWCA (the guy in Mapple Valley sold his this morning), because after sales tax it would cost a little over $700. The new plan is to qualify for CMP, spend a extra hundred to buy two of the Danish Garands, and then I have a new rifle and a nice father's day gift for my dad.

Thanks again.

Kyle
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top