Link Posted: 10/15/2008 3:42:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck partner, keep your head down.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 3:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:01:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There are some unconfirmed reports of things happening here in town that I am trying to have confirmed by my guys or the folks in my phone trees at the various embassies I protect.

I am not near anything that would be a target, but I'm rather concerned about my Thai friends here.  There is not much I can do other than what we are doing already.  My Thai nurse lady-friend is already holed up, but there is very little I can do for her at all should anything happen her way.  Her apartment is VERY close to a high-ranking individual in the Defense Ministry, so if something happens there, it would be with their approval.  He has more armed guards with AKs outside his house than anyplace in town other than the PM's house.

The last time we had rioting and assaults on Thais here was when a Thai actress made an offhand remark that the Khmer people took umbrage too.  It resulted in a LOT of damage.  We'll see what happens now, I guess.

Your thai friends should attempt to be ready to gtfo of there and into Thailand on a moments notice, IMO.  By any means possible, they should be ready to leave/leaving right now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:03:32 AM EDT
[#5]
same same

but different

Now I'm kind of bummed that I didn't visit Preah Vihear

stay safe
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:07:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:13:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure that your lady friend will appreciate you being on the ball.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:14:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
There are some unconfirmed reports of things happening here in town that I am trying to have confirmed by my guys or the folks in my phone trees at the various embassies I protect.

I am not near anything that would be a target, but I'm rather concerned about my Thai friends here.  There is not much I can do other than what we are doing already.  My Thai nurse lady-friend is already holed up, but there is very little I can do for her at all should anything happen her way.  Her apartment is VERY close to a high-ranking individual in the Defense Ministry, so if something happens there, it would be with their approval.  He has more armed guards with AKs outside his house than anyplace in town other than the PM's house.

The last time we had rioting and assaults on Thais here was when a Thai actress made an offhand remark that the Khmer people took umbrage too.  It resulted in a LOT of damage.  We'll see what happens now, I guess.

Your thai friends should attempt to be ready to gtfo of there and into Thailand on a moments notice, IMO.  By any means possible, they should be ready to leave/leaving right now.
They are all complying with the information being provided them by the Thai Embassy.  Planes are supposedly on standby in Thailand to evacuate the Thais here, but this isn't going to be a normal evolution.  

Standing by to stand by.

Aye, stay safe over there also(you and your friends).  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Mind yer topknot KPEL....

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Different day, same shit.

When I was in Thailand in '87 the same stuff was going on. I knew one guy who'd been on the border, his unit was mortared and probed (he caught some shrapnel in his upper back); and hung out with a former Thai Marine who had some interesting stories to tell about border raids not only from Cambodia; but also Laos.

And there was a pretty big firefight on the Burmese border just one or two years ago.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Kinda off-topic, but could you give a clear picture of what's happening in the Thai gov't nowadays?

Being 10,000 miles away and trying to decipher what my Thai friends are telling me is pretty tough - who's the bad guy here? Are the Bangkok riots over?

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Thais have all their men receive some military training between 18 and 21, from 6-24 months, depending on various factors.

Really?  I'm married to a Thai national, but I don't think any of her family has done any military service (though they are basically hick farmers from Issan who never went to school).

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Will this affect the price of your hookers?

Seriously, I needz them..

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#17]
What is your line of work there, kpel?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is your line of work there, kpel?
Management for a security firm.  You?

About to be building windmills here in the states. Might enlist after college. Good luck to you over there and stay safe.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Thais have all their men receive some military training between 18 and 21, from 6-24 months, depending on various factors.

Really?  I'm married to a Thai national, but I don't think any of her family has done any military service (though they are basically hick farmers from Issan who never went to school).

Here's from the Royal Thai Armed Forces WIKI page:

According to the 1997 constitution military service is a duty for all male citizens and at age 21 those who have not undergone reserve training are subject to a draft. Volunteers are subject to six to eighteen months service depending on their education while those chosen randomly are subject to twenty-four months in full-time service.

Current census is over 17 million men of military age.  The population of Cambodia is around 14 million, total.  Around 25% are under the age of 21.

It sounds like if you don't volunteer, you could be subject to a random draft (based on need).  My wife says that none of her brothers in law ever served, and that she knows only a couple people from her village who did.

I don't think it's mandatory for all males (though it may be "duty" if called to serve).

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Meh.

Common stuff on the Malay/Thai border too when I lived there in the mid 90's
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#27]
hey Kpel-

are the Cambodians doing road building up near Preah Vihear?

You could have landed B-52s on the new road going up toward Kbal Spean north of Sisophon
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
!

Are you an American ? If yes, why don't you get on the next thing smoking for the USA ?

Jeebus, first you almost lose your nuts and now this ? GTFO
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Mind yer topknot KPEL....

That's right.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BASTARD!!!I was trying not to bring that up...  Just had surgery Monday, had the tube removed yesterday, had some fluid extracted today, and more to look forward to tomorrow.  If you want my ex-'s number, I'll IM you so you can get her stalking ass away from ME!

LOL!  Glad you're progressing nicely in your recovery.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Generals from Thailand and Cambodia are to hold talks in an attempt to resolve a border dispute which led to soldiers exchanging shots and rocket-fire.

Cambodia claims two of its soldiers were killed on Wednesday in clashes near the ancient Preah Vihear temple.

The fighting prompted Thailand to urge its nationals to leave Cambodia.

Tensions have been high since July, when hundreds of soldiers on both sides faced off metres apart, but both sides say they want a peaceful solution.

Thailand and Cambodia both claim they own the area around the temple, which became a Unesco World Heritage site in June, reigniting lingering nationalist tensions.

The two countries have failed to reach a settlement, despite several rounds of talks.

Cambodian Foreign Minister Hor Namhong said the talks scheduled for Thursday were a good sign. He described this week's clash as "an incident between soldiers and not an invasion by Thailand".

UN General Secretary Ban Ki-moon said he was "deeply concerned" by the violence and urged both sides to show restraint.

'Good neighbour'

Both sides claim the other opened fire first on Wednesday, in an exchange that lasted about an hour.

Cambodian Foreign Minister Hor Namhong said two soldiers had been killed and two wounded while Thai officials said five Thai troops had been wounded.

Cambodia also claimed that 10 Thai soldiers had been captured, but this was denied by Bangkok.

After fighting broke out, Thailand alerted air force jets and readied transport planes to evacuate Thai nationals from Cambodia.

But Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat said the fighting was "small scale" and that he was committed to reaching a settlement over the issue with Cambodia, which he described as "a good neighbour".

'Death zone'

The military stand-off began in July when Cambodian troops detained three Thai protesters who had entered the site illegally.

More than 1,000 soldiers from both countries moved into the area, digging trenches into the rough terrain around the temple.

TEMPLE DISPUTE TIMELINE

1970s-1990s: Khmer Rouge guerrillas occupy site

2001-2002: Thai troops block access over water row

July 2008: Unesco lists temple as a World Heritage Site

July 2008: Thai FM quits after court rules he violated constitution for backing Cambodia's Unesco bid

July 2008: Both sides move troops to temple area

August 2008: Troops withdrawn after high-level talks

October 2008: Fighting erupts around temple area

Cambodia claimed that Thai troops had recently returned to the area after both sides agreed in August to withdraw their personnel.

Thailand has denied that its troops entered Cambodian territory.

But on Tuesday, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen threatened to turn the area into a "death zone" if the Thai troops did not withdraw.

The dispute centres on 1.8 square miles (4.6 sq km) of scrub near the 900-year-old Preah Vihear temple.

The temple is only accessible from Thailand and the area around it is heavily mined - a legacy of Cambodia's long war against the Khmer Rouge guerrillas.

An international court awarded the temple to Cambodia in 1962, but land surrounding it remains the subject of rival territorial claims.

Disputes between the two countries date back centuries when the Thai and Khmer monarchs fought each other for territory and power.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Good Luck brother!
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#37]
If it interferes with the drug trade, it will suddenly cease.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
1:  Somchai, the current PM, is still a relative of Thaksin, so the PAD won't accept him.  Even if he walked on water, fed the poor, gave his money to the Buddhist monks, and lived in a cardboard box, the PAD would still scream about him being a stooge.

2:  Sondhi, the rabble-rouser who has been the mouthpiece of the PAD, as well as most of their top leadership, turned themselves in after warrants being issued for sedition.  As this is a capital crime, the charges were reduced in exchange for them turning themselves in willingly.  It will be interesting to see how their trials go.  The justice system in Thailand works a hell of a lot faster than in the States.

3:  Queen Sirikit attended the funeral of one of the protestors who was killed last week.  The meaning of this is that the King does not want any more fatalities, and that there WILL be peace between the PAD and the government.  The Thais take ANY "hint" from the King very seriously.  He is not just loved, he is REVERED.

4:  The PAD got their butts kicked in the election, and are doing what they can to immobilize the government because it's corrupt.  Seeing who is involved in the PAD, that's the pot calling the kettle black, and is worse because at least the People Power Party won the election fair and square, which is rare in this part of the world.  Expect more mass demonstrations with people bussed in from all over the country.  Gee, I wonder who is paying for that, eh?  (PAD is starting to look like the Thai version of Acorn).

5:  The Preah Vihear situation will probably unite the Thais.  As the Thai military completely outnumbers, outguns, out-trains, and damned straight out-classes the Cambodian military, the Khmers would be wise to consider the consequences.  The Thais have all their men receive some military training between 18 and 21, from 6-24 months, depending on various factors.  They have more military trained men than the entire population of Cambodia.  Cambodia has some Mi-8s, and maybe some An-26s.  The Antonov's I've seen were not airworthy.  The Thais have plenty of C-130s, F-16s, F-5s, turboprop Dakota conversions, and UH-1N/Twin 212s.  The list goes on.  

Thanks for the 'translation'.

I hate to see the turmoil there - There's something spooky about being a more-or-less sheltered American, and flipping on the news one night to see shots of a riot/demonstration/bombing taking place in places you've walked through before.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Kinda off-topic, but could you give a clear picture of what's happening in the Thai gov't nowadays?

Being 10,000 miles away and trying to decipher what my Thai friends are telling me is pretty tough - who's the bad guy here? Are the Bangkok riots over?

This is from Strategypage.com

Three Different Wars At Once
October 16, 2008: The armed forces commanders have assured the government that there will not be another coup, but at the same time, the generals refuse to provide troops to deal with the anti-democracy mobs. This leaves the government with only one option, to call in pro-government mobs from the countryside. Another option, of course, is to surrender to the demands that the government be run by officials from the urban minority (that considers itself morally superior to the majority that elected the current government, and thus more worthy to rule.)

Thai and Cambodian officers met on the border and agreed to work out procedures to avoid any future gun battles.

October 15, 2008: Thai and Cambodian troops fired on each other, leaving two Cambodians dead and seven wounded. At least seven Thais were wounded in a firefight that lasted about 40 minutes. There are several thousand troops in the area.

October 14, 2008: Cambodia demanded that Thai troops be withdrawn from disputed territory on the border, otherwise there will be war (a small one, anyway.) In response, Thailand sent more troops to the border.

October 13, 2008: The police chief told the government that he would not use his anti-riot forces to break up future anti-democracy demonstrations. However, the police will defend their headquarters and other police facilities. The police are led by urbanites who often agree with the anti-democracy demonstrators.

October 7, 2008: In the capital, anti-democracy demonstrators again tried to shut down the government, but for the first time the riot police were sent in and used force to clear away the rioters. Two died and over 400 people were injured, out of over 5,000 involved. The rioters had attempted to shut off electricity and water to parliament and government buildings.

October 6, 2008: On the Cambodian border, two Thai soldiers were wounded by a landmine. It's unclear whose mine it was.

October 5, 2008: Police have arrested the leaders of the demonstrators who have occupied government compounds since late August. The demonstrators represent urban activists who wish to overthrow the elected government and replace it with one run by a more righteous and anti-corruption minority. The government has been unable to negotiate a peace deal with the anti-democracy demonstrators.

October 4, 2008: Thai and Cambodian military commanders met on the border to work out arrangements to prevent further clashes. The Thais insisted that Cambodian troops entered Thai territory and opened fire first.

In the Moslem south, a pickup truck full of gunmen opened fire on an army patrol, killing two soldiers. The trend in the south, however, is less violence. In any event, most of the civilians down there with guns are gangsters, not Islamic extremists.

October 3, 2008: After over a month of quiet, Thai and  Cambodian troops exchanged fire for a few minutes on the border. One Cambodian and two Thai troops were wounded. There has been a confrontation over exactly where the border is, and who controls land near an ancient temple.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top