Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/14/2008 4:17:41 PM EDT
Anyone use this software?  My base bought 100 licenses, and I got one.  Still don't know what language I'm gonna take, thinking of one that will give me an extra $1k a month...but not sure which they are.  I'm guessing Pashtu or Arabic maybe...

ETA language choices...

Arabic Version 3

October 14 2008 - September 25 2009

Chinese (Mandarin) Version 3

Danish Version 2

Dutch Version 2

English (American) Version 3

English (British) Version 3

Farsi Version 2

French Version 3

German Version 3

Greek Version 2

Hebrew Version 3

Hindi Version 2

Indonesian Version 2

Irish Version 3

Italian Version 3

Japanese Version 3

Korean Version 2

Latin Version 2

Pashto Version 2

Polish Version 2

Portuguese (Brazil) Version 3

Russian Version 3

Spanish (Latin America) Version 3

Spanish (Spain) Version 3

Swahili Version 2

Swedish Version 2

Tagalog Version 2

Thai Version 2

Turkish Version 2

Vietnamese Version 2

Welsh Version 2
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT, anyone?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing Arabic would probably come in handy.

I wish I had that program to learn French.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
What industry are you in? Ive found learning Spanish makes me more flexible with who I deal with in Aurora, not to mention all the Chicas
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Russian course, level's 1-3

Ive gotten through most of level one. It is a lot easier to learn with it then when I took Russian in college
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Mandarin or Arabic.  Learn it well enough and you might just be able to write your own paycheck one day.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh.

I thought this was going to be about the actual Rosetta Stone.

No experience with any language-learning software, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What industry are you in? Ive found learning Spanish makes me more flexible with who I deal with in Aurora, not to mention all the Chicas

I'm AD USAF, pharmacy is my trade.  Kinda looking for one of the languages that pay the extra money...but then I'd have to deploy even more I'm sure.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm AD USAF, pharmacy is my trade.  Kinda looking for one of the languages that pay the extra money...but then I'd have to deploy even more I'm sure.

How did you go about getting a license for this? I'm PCS'ing to Germany in January and would like to try this out!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you go about getting a license for this? I'm PCS'ing to Germany in January and would like to try this out!

Base education sent out an e-mail offering the course, they bought 100 licenses and the first 100 to reply got a slot.  Since I'm mainly a chairborne ranger now days and always at my desk...I got one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Military? Definately go for Arabic...notice all the hot spots for the past couple decades have been in the Middle East...
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Military? Definately go for Arabic...notice all the hot spots for the past couple decades have been in the Middle East...

But you've got pashto, arabic etc...they speak quite a few languages over there.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#12]
They should all just speak English
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Make sure it something you can use, because unless you can you will lose lots of it quick.  I'm still trying to learn Japanese after 2 yrs it,  and only using it ever y few months I loose to much to be useful.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#14]
French, but its probably not a $1k/mo one.

Almost every officer (or doctor) in the Middle East was either educated in an English speaking country or in France, so you'd be able to talk to them.  Plus its a very common language elsewhere in the world and closer to English than most of the other choices so it'll be easier.

Or look at Turkish, almost anyone in the Northern part of Iraq will speak it.

Quoted:
Its free in AKO if you've got an account.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Pick the one with the prettiest girls

I like RS, it's a limited vocabulary but darned if I don't remember it.  I think I like the Pimsleur audio lessons better, for learning phrases I might actually use.

Don't neglect your online studies... Chinesepod.com and Spanishpod.com are good (if you're into those languages)
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#16]
IIRC unless you are in a linguist position with a critical language you cannot get the full FLPP rate. Before deciding I would talk to you education center to see if you can get in to take the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery.) This is what they use to rate what languages you are most likely able to learn, the higher the score, the harder the language. Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean are considered the hardest ones to learn.

Most likely if you don't score well enough on the DLAB (over 100) to be eligible for one of those languages you are going to have a very hard time getting enough out of just Rosetta Stone to be able to score well enough on the DLPT to receive pay.

Don't get me wrong, Rosetta Stone is probably the best program of that type out there, but to do well enough to get paid you will probably need more than just it. I know several people that spent a year plus in intensive training at DLI and just barely do well enough to receive pay.

PS: Anyone in the Army, you can access all of the Rosetta Stone programs from free on AKO.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I need to take a language in college.

I am considering Rosetta Stone to take along with the courses...

Top of my list is German, followed by French, then Russian.. depends on which one I want to learn more weighed against what would be useful.

I have no desire to learn Spanish.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
IIRC unless you are in a linguist position with a critical language you cannot get the full FLPP rate. Before deciding I would talk to you education center to see if you can get in to take the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery.) This is what they use to rate what languages you are most likely able to learn, the higher the score, the harder the language. Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean are considered the hardest ones to learn.

Most likely if you don't score well enough on the DLAB (over 100) to be eligible for one of those languages you are going to have a very hard time getting enough out of just Rosetta Stone to be able to score well enough on the DLPT to receive pay.

Don't get me wrong, Rosetta Stone is probably the best program of that type out there, but to do well enough to get paid you will probably need more than just it. I know several people that spent a year plus in intensive training at DLI and just barely do well enough to receive pay.

PS: Anyone in the Army, you can access all of the Rosetta Stone programs from free on AKO.

I'm still gonna give it a shot...I'm usually a quick study.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#19]
So anyone actually use this software?  I'm gonna grab a microphone tomorrow and start, hopefully it will be pretty good.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Arabic.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Arabic.

Did you use the software?  I'm usually a quick study, but never done online language learning before.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm doing the Spanish (Latin American) course right now, I'm not in the Military though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm doing the Spanish (Latin American) course right now, I'm not in the Military though.

How is it?  Is it pretty easy or pretty hard?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Almost every officer (or doctor) in the Middle East was either educated in an English speaking country or in France, so you'd be able to talk to them.  Plus its a very common language elsewhere in the world and closer to English than most of the other choices so it'll be easier.

Quoted:

Kharn

Hows it free?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#25]
get the danish one.. then you can talk to geese!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#26]
British
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is it?  Is it pretty easy or pretty hard?

Well I just started it yesterday and so far its very easy. You don't have to concentrate much, it's more like a game. You kind of instinctively figure it out as you go along.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Hows it free?

Log into Skillport and go from there.  There are links on the main page and a FAQ on the left side.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#29]
They dont have Mexican?

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Hows it free?

Log into Skillport and go from there.  There are links on the main page and a FAQ on the left side.

damn.. I get out and then all the cool stuff becomes available
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Hows it free?

damn.. I get out and then all the cool stuff becomes available

They're thinking about retention now, but if Obama gets in, we're all fired.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Learn Mandarin ... it will come in handy in the coming war.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Hebrew or Arabic would definitely be my top choices.

ETA Swahili is actually suprisingly useful as well, and it is a lot of fun.  

-Ben
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd like to learn Arabic and Farsi.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

-Ben

Is that the one where you have to make clicking sounds?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Since they don't have Urdu, take Hindi.  It is close to Urdu.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Farsi or Arabic.

This book is the best book for learning to write in Arabic script.  As for a learning program, I can't really recommend one except to say that I have seen Rosetta Stone and I didn't really like it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Farsi or Arabic.

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51P8HV8FCAL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This book is the best book for learning to write in Arabic script.  As for a learning program, I can't really recommend one except to say that I have seen Rosetta Stone and I didn't really like it.

I think I might try the Chinese...I have a year to learn it, so maybe I'll get it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Make sure it something you can use, because unless you can you will lose lots of it quick.  I'm still trying to learn Japanese after 2 yrs it,  and only using it ever y few months I loose to much to be useful.

That's cause' you can't spell lose.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Arabic, I tried the Rosetta Stone. I'm taking it at my college right now.

It was ok, but you really need to learn the aphabet and writing on your own.

Go with Modern Standard Arabic or Egyptian Arabic.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Hows it free?

As soon as I typed that, I got onto AKO and did some Googling on there.  I found it and just started some Spanish exercises.

Sucks you cant download them to use offline.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Ben

Is that the one where you have to make clicking sounds?

No...something in Swahili would be like this:

Jambo!  (Hello) Una an deliaja? (How's it going?)  Poa! (Fine!)

You are thinking of the minority tribe in Zimbabwe (the Shona are the majority, and their langauge is close to Swahili, relatively speaking).   Even the Shona who grow up around them don't understand them.

Swahili is one of the most widely spoken languages in Africa, and the most widely spoken African peoples language.  (By that, I mean, Arabic in the north is not being counted).

-Ben
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I have no desire to learn Spanish.

Develop the desire. If you're staying in Florida or most anywhere else in the US it would be the most useful language to learn.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Hows it free?

As soon as I typed that, I got onto AKO and did some Googling on there.  I found it and just started some Spanish exercises.

Then it would be too easy to pirate.  Not that it can't be done now, but that would make it even easier.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Japanese and russian are cat 3 last time I checked; Arabic, Mandarin chinese and Korean were cat 4.  Chinese and Korean had the highest failure rates, other than the experimental language programs.  And to the one successful Kurmanji linguist...tough shit, friend!

If you can do even a limited amount of modern standard Arabic, you will be much more useful to the DoD.

Spanish is the most widely useful non-english language on this continent, excepting a few specific ethnic enclaves.  

From a former 1N3, the DLAB is not a reliable gauge of language learning potential.  

Oh - in closing, the language programs at BYU appear to be more successful than DLI, oddly enough.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#46]
No Yiddish?

Go for Welsh!  The deployments would be choice!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Hows it free?

Then it would be too easy to pirate.  Not that it can't be done now, but that would make it even easier.

Eh, you could easily make a standalone player for that computer but s'all good.  I guess I'll have to learn the languages before my CAC password expires.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Hows it free?

Eh, you could easily make a standalone player for that computer but s'all good.  I guess I'll have to learn the languages before my CAC password expires.

I picked Chinese...wish me luck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Hows it free?

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Hows it free?

Bastard.

Hey, at least it's free.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top