Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2001 4:38:36 AM EDT
Took a road trip yesterday over to Ft Benning to check out the Army Infantry Museum. Talk about a good use of my tax $$. Free to get in , 3 floors of nothing BUT guns , armour , swords , and anything and everything from our nations wars. The most awsome displays IMHO was a show case that contained the Advance Infantry Combat Rifles that were tested by the Infantry Board in the early 90's. This disply also had the very first Colt M4 rifle , I recall it was serial # 184 (do not know why the # was not 1). There was a 2nd display case with the very first production M1 Garand , M14 and M16A2 , all serial # 1 . Man , talk about major drool , one of my buddys about "creamed" over the M4 , another spent 10 mins trying to figure out how to get the others out of the building w/o beening seen. O'well we had to leave them under glass. We them went down Victory Street for a quick visit to "Ranger Joes" Surplus store. Picked ou a few neat items then headed home. If you live within a couple hours drive of Benning you must go see this place , I think it might be AR15.com Heaven on Earth.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good man.

Got any more info???

I think I might like to check that out.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Garandman , Free to the public , open 7 days a week , need about 5 hours to really see & read all the displays , another hour to check out all the Armor vehicles outside. We only had 4 hours due to Sunday hours (12:30 - 4:30)and were a little rushed to see it all. Check out the Ft. Benning web site for business hours museum is open. 5 of the guys went (3 AR15.com members) and we all decided not to carry. I am a LEO in Alabama and I even decided not to carry for concern that we would be searched prior to entry onto the base(we are at war). On entry to the base we did have to stop at a Military Police gate , I had to show my drivers lic , vehicle registion and proof of insurance. We were not searched nor was the vehicle. I guess we did not appear to be any threat to our nations security. Obey the speed limit on post , lots of MP's running radar , stay out of the housing areas. I showed the guys the Airborne School , and we saw the 250 ft jump towers ( I saw them from the top down in 1980). Ranger Joes is only about 2 miles outside the Victory Street gate. Leave post and go to the traffic light , turn right , go a block or 2 and on the right. There is also a used surplus "Rags Joes" next door that we did not have time to see , but I was told a great place for used military and police equipment. Ranger Joes only sells new stuff. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:23:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have fired M4, serial #13 and #17 at Fort Polk in 1994. I had heard that they had number 1 at Fort Benning; but #184 ain't it.

That does sound like a wonderful museum. Your next stop should be the museum at West Point. I have been to that one and it something to see as well.

High Performance Tactical Gear!
[url]www.Lightfighter.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#4]
BTT  --  So everyone can learn of this museum.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...went down Victory Street for a quick visit to "Ranger Joes" Surplus store.
View Quote

I had forgotten about the museum.  Now that you've reminded me it is one of the best 3 the others being the Army Aviation museum at Ft. Rucker and the Armor Musuem at Ft. Knox.

BTW, It's Victory Drive not street.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top