Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2008 5:25:23 PM EDT

A Cariboo, B.C., man who was attacked by a bear says he used a stick to put up the fight of his life after he realized he was likely in a fight to the death.

Jim West, 45, was out walking last Saturday morning with his two dogs near 70 Mile House, about halfway between Kamloops and Williams Lake, when he came face to face with an angry mother bear.

"I turned [when] I heard a grunt. All I saw was eyes full of hatred … I had no option … So I stuck my foot up and tried to kick her in the face," he said.

The bear then attacked him, knocking him to the ground, and West soon found himself on the losing side of an ill-matched fight.

"I rolled onto my stomach and clasped my hands at the back of my neck. She tore into my skull at the back of my head, moved over and bit me on the left side of my body, on my ribs and left arm," said West.

Knowing he would likely soon be dead unless he fought back, the injured West managed to get to his feet and picked up a stick about as thick as his arm.
Bear's skull crushed

"I said, in effect, bring it on sweetie. I took one step forward — smash!" said West.
Jim West demonstrates how he swung at the oncoming bear with a stick he grabbed off the ground. Jim West demonstrates how he swung at the oncoming bear with a stick he grabbed off the ground. (CBC)

"I swung the stick and broke it over her head. She kind of stood there and shook it off, like she was stunned," he said.

"I realized if I didn't continue the attack she would knock me to the ground again and I would not get up.

"I swung my piece of wood like a sledgehammer driving spikes and I kept swinging till she was lying flat on the ground and there was blood coming out of her nose," said West.

The five-foot-nine man eventually crushed the bear's skull with the stick, killing it.

West then walked a kilometre and a half to a local lodge, where he was transported to hospital. The gashes in his body took 60 stitches to sew up.

The incident surprised even conservation officers, who say West is lucky to be alive.

Unfortunately, two young bears had to be euthanized because they would not survive the winter without their mother, West said. And while he regrets the deaths of the three bears, he believes he did what he needed to do to survive.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/10/08/bc-bear-attack-survivor.html

This guys get the...

Award...
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't think that was possible.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Bear in mind, this guy found a plan worth sticking to.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought the guy who took on a bear with a 3" pocket knife and won was badass. This guy took on a bear with a STICK and bludgeoned the fucking thing to death.

Davy Crockett would be taking notes from this hard-core motherfucker.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I didn't think that was possible.

Well the bear dident smash its own head, now did it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Note to self...DON"T fuck with Mr. Jim West.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Unbearable!

What......no charges for animal cruelty?
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Impressive.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought the guy who took on a bear with a 3" pocket knife and won was badass. This guy took on a bear with a STICK and bludgeoned the fucking thing to death.

that was a big stick though.

if the man took a twig and somehow came out on top in this fight, id give him the balls of steel, but he took a fucking log and got lucky!

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well played, sir,well played.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll be here all night.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a public apology to the ARFCOM member who wanted to kill a bear with an aluminum baseball bat. You were right and I was wrong. Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I always look forward to these.

This one is really good!
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Yow, so he basically killed 3 years by bashing it's skull while being attacked.

I won't be fucking with him
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This is a public apology to the ARFCOM member who wanted to kill a bear with an aluminum baseball bat. You were right and I was wrong. Sorry.

FUCK YEAH!!!!

I remember that thread, and I was saying I could kill one with a bat too! ALL YOU ASSHOLES berated me, and everyone else that said it was definitely possible...eat some MF'n crow!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Daniel Boone too!
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUCK YEAH!!!!

I remember that thread, and I was saying I could kill one with a bat too! ALL YOU ASSHOLES berated me, and everyone else that said it was definitely possible...eat some MF'n crow!!!

Well you have my apologies.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#18]
This is why WE are the top of the food chain!

for him!

OutFarkingStanding!

Hessian-1
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Everyone knows that bears can only be killed by nuking from orbit........
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if the man took a twig and somehow came out on top in this fight, id give him the balls of steel, but he took a fucking log and got lucky!

OOOOOOOOK Mr. Badass.

Beating a Mother bear with CUBS to death after it attacks you is frikkin badass no question about it. Get back to us when you do the same.

Don't care if it's a twig or a club, Momma has big teeth, claws, outweighs you, is far FAR stronger, and taking a stick and whacking it to death is pretty impressive, especially after she has already chawed on you pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#21]

"I swung my piece of wood like a sledgehammer driving spikes and I kept swinging till she was lying flat on the ground and there was blood coming out of her nose," said West.

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUCK YEAH!!!!

We got bludgeoned worse than that bear did

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No shit!  

Wait - he killed the 3 bears? Goldilocks is avenged!
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

First thing I thought of.

People at the lodge must have known this guy was coming from miles away due to the clanging.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I want Mr. West on my team.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shut up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit!  

1 physically, 2 by proxy
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUCK YEAH!!!!

I do believe the original poster said he would rather have a bat than a gun though.

I didn't think it would be possible to kill a bear with a bat and for that I am wrong.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow - I am officially impressed.  Thanks for posting the story.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit!  

Mr. West has seen enough movies to know the hiers will grow to avenge the death of their mother.

What he doesn't realize, is one cub was missed.

The brewing of a new epic battle has begun.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Two things:

This shows the importance of "NEVER GIVE UP!" when it's on,fight like a devil and you may just surprise yourself.

And if you dig through old books you'll see LION hunting with a spear and sword was once popular.

This guy can fight by my side anyday
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Thats one tough canuck. I'd buy him a molson!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUCK YEAH!!!!

I do believe the original poster said he would rather have a bat than a gun though.

I didn't think it would be possible to kill a bear with a bat and for that I am wrong.

It was a bat, or a gun with 1 bullet IIRC
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Unfortunately, two young bears had to be euthanized because they would not survive the winter without their mother, West said. And while he regrets the deaths of the three bears, he believes he did what he needed to do to survive.

I sincerely hope he gets a nice rug and a couple of ottomans out of this deal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shut up.

no.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#36]
After seeing the thread title, I really expected this thread to be full of Chuck Norris sayings.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUCK YEAH!!!!

It was a bat, or a gun with 1 bullet IIRC

I'm thinking a gun with 1 bullet, that's big enough to be used as a bat.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I only have one question.  Was he wearing pink Crocs?

Bring it on sweetie!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#39]
in before....                    BREAKING NEWS!!!

Bears all around the country come together to advocate the ban of sticks, its for the cubs!!

Good job! Bear sausage anyone?
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I remember that thread!
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#41]
he gets to keep his man card for life
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

And if you dig through old books you'll see LION hunting with a spear and sword was once popular.

IIRC the Maasai still do it as a rite of passage
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

"I turned [when] I heard a grunt. All I saw was eyes full of hatred … I had no option … So I stuck my foot up and tried to kick her in the face," he said.

I started laughing there,  this guy is a freakin badass
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Killing bears..so easy a cavemen can do it....
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC the Maasai still do it as a rite of passage

This is why when I tell people I carry a sword as last-ditch back up in the woods and they look at me like I've gone off the deep end I look at them like this

Guns are fine,I carry one everytime I go for a walk in the woods around my place,but it's still a mechanical object and can break-and it can run out of ammo.....

Odds are I'll kill any animal before I run dry,but it could still go "click" on me,think about that.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#48]
i have read at least 3 seperate stories right here on arfcom of men killing bears with simple hand tools.

the human brain is the strongest weapon on the planet. when used properly no living thing known to man can defeat it.

edit: and i remember the bear vs baseball bat thread, and even posted in it.

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
he gets to keep his man card for life

No shit, huh.

He could run around in a pink banana hammock singing songs from, "The Sound of Music" and that story along with the scar still make him a stud.

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bear is in the SKULL, not the MIND.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top