Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2001 9:03:29 PM EDT
My wife and I are going to have our first child in a few months and while browsing the local gunshow together I noticed her examining some gun safes that one man was selling there.

I said it would be something I would like and it would be a good idea and SHE AGREED!!!!!

I didnt show my hand ( but I was jumping up and
down inside ! ) and now I am shopping for one.

I would like to hear from fellow members about their safes.  

I want something pretty heavy.  

I know an older man from where I used to hunt that had a nice one but someone wheeled it out of his house when he was gone on vacation.

We looked a a Browning and some others.

I do not want to pay alot for a name but I do not mind paying for quality, if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions??

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at an AMSEC Cascade.  IMHO, it's the best value for your money.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks RichinCM    I will do it!

Anyone else ?
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Fort Knox.  Whatever safe you'll get, get the biggest one you can afford.  I outgrow mine in a few months.

Go here to browse.....It will give you some idea.

[url]http://www.ftknox.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Look in a shotgun news in the rear and you see some ads for gunsafes.  Also, checkout the more recognized gun safe's home page.  

[url]www.libertysafe.com[/url]
Fort Knox
American Security
etc...

Then there are a few I found while searching for gun safes.

[url]www.deansafe.com[/url]
[url]www.swiftsafes.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:05:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I got the 30" one from Sam's Club.
It says Winchester on it, but is made by Granite Gun Safe.
It is fire lined and weighs 625lbs.
It cost $899. Which was about $960. out the door.
Me and a neighbor brought it in and set it in possition through obsticals on the far side of the house with no problem useing a few 16" sections of 1/2" pipe as rollers.
Not a bad looking safe at all.
I was really surprised that my wife thought it was a great idea.
I like mine.
Good luck.
Andy
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a 16-gun FORT KNOX that has 18 squeezed into it. AR-RIFLE'S right about getting the biggest one you can afford 'cause you will outgrow it. It's a good solid safe though. I just wish my wife would leave me some room on the only shelf it has in it!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#8]
just avoid any safes that lock with a key or have a combo of 3 digits or less. Kids will find keys and a 3 digit combo (not dial, but like you'd find on a brief case ) is not much of a challenge to a child. One final warning gun safes have been known to cause guns to breed and multiply, so yes get one bigger than you need.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Fort Knox is the way to go, provided there is someone near you to deliver it for a reasonable fee (under $250-300 depending on stair situation).  As far as i know they have the best fire rating at 1680 degrees for 90 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Try Zanotti safes. These can be broken down for ease of transport with their patented Interlock(tm) design, but still highly rated.

[url]www.zanottiarmorsafes.com/specs.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#11]
USMC_LB,

Sorry, I forgot to post a link for you.

[url]http://www.amsecusa.com/catalog/GUNSAFE.PDF[/url]

[url]http://www.deansafe.com/amsec/cascade.html[/url]

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Fort Knox 6031 set up in a 28 gun configuration.. I love it.. Check them out.. I like the keypad lock better than the dial..

later,
    hawkin
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't forget, always have a [b]working[/b] flashlight on top of your safe.  It would suck to have someone cut your power and you can't get into your safe because you can't see.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't forget, always have a working flashlight on top of your safe. It would suck to have someone cut your power and you can't get into your safe because you can't see.
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!.....Funny but so true!...I'll make a note of that. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Got a AMSEC teton 6032 555lbs., I love it more everyday. The peace of mind you get owning one, you owe it to yourself if all you have is one gun. I am still looking for something new to put in it. Now what to do with my christmas bonus humm...
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I too have a ZANOTTI, and love it!

A major beneficial factor with the Zanotti safes comes into play for those that do not have a main floor location in which to place their safes...  The Zanotti comes in sections, so they can be very easily carried up or down stairs as necessary.

Here is a better link for them:  [url]www.zanottiarmor.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll give a second,third or whatever on the AMSEC safes.  They are a real value.  Everyone that has said to buy the biggest safe you can probably knows that when a safe company says that their safe holds X# of guns THEY ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT SCOPED AR's.  My rule of thumb is three regular rifles(bolt actions/lever actions/shotguns) equal one AR.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Champion, made in Utah, and it is fabulous.  25 gun capacity, in theory, but the ARs do eat space.  Again, get the biggest you can afford as a bigger model is ultimately cheaper than two.  The Champion 25 weighs 810 lbs, beautifully finished with a bank style handle.  Fire protection is 1300 degrees for 1 hour, double most safes.  They offer a door mounted handgun holder that is basically a velcro door cover that comes with 5 holsters attached by the velcro.  You lose no shelf space with the handguns. Further, they do not have welded edges that are suspectible to breakage with a sledge.  They also have the S&G dials, with keys, not a key lock but a key lock to keep the dial from turning when locked by the key, and glass relockers to prevent drilling.  Champion also has a lifetime warranty, your house burns, you pay shipping and they replace free.  It gets broken into, you pay shipping and they replace free.  Great product you will enjoy for a lifetime...
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Cobalt.  3/8" door, 3/16" sides, top and back.  700+ pounds.  It was a SOB to get in the house.  Bolts all the way around.  There will me no getting into it with a chisel.  Its too heavy to be carried out.

I wanted a National Security.  3/4" door with 3/8" sides.  1600 lbs.  $2700.  It was a monster.  It also had a key operated day lock.

I like my Cobalt, but the local place stopped carrying them, which sucks because I now need a 2nd.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Give me LIBERTY or give me death!![:D]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:19:53 AM EDT
[#22]
http://www.smithsecuritysafes.com/intro.html

Smith Safes, look on the internet. I'm pleased with mine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:17:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wanted a National Security.  3/4" door with 3/8" sides.  1600 lbs.  $2700.  It was a monster.  It also had a key operated day lock.
View Quote

Here ya go.

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/032/ZV/vb/Gz/g013823.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:22:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey!  I didn't see any flashlight!
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I appreciate all the replies and tips...  especially the flashlight on top

I have another question.  How tough are the electronic combinations.  Could someone whack it with a hammer and it not work anymore ?

Thanks  Tim
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey!  I didn't see any flashlight!
View Quote

Look again eagle eye.  One is standing up in the middle and the other is to the right laying down.  They are both cheap but I check them each month.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Probably, Tim.  But that could happen with a regular dial safe too.  Nicer safes have got internal lockup features so when the safe door is undergoing attack, the locking mechanism freezes up and cannot be manipulated or opened period without a locksmith doing it.

I bought a Liberty eight years ago and I liked it so much I have another bigger one coming later this month.  Firelining is very important, so is bolting down the safe to the floor.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I appreciate all the replies and tips...  especially the flashlight on top

I have another question.  How tough are the electronic combinations.  Could someone whack it with a hammer and it not work anymore ?

Thanks  Tim
View Quote

If they whack it with a hammer, bye bye combo lock.  Same with a dial combo though.  The dial might withstand a hammer blow a little better but if they hit it once, they will hit it again and destroy both of them.

The digital combo is easily removed and is attached by a ribbon to the circuit board.  If someone steals it, you can buy a replacement pretty easily.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Are you just keeping out your future kids, and any passing dopers, or are you keeping out pros who are after your guns & diamonds & gold?

If just the kids / dopers, buy a less expensive one, and bolt it to the floor.  

Go to AMSEC's site & read about the TL-15.  I'd love this one, but wouldn't have any money left for guns.  Plus I'm not sure it wouldn't go right thru the floor.

I got the Sam's safe this weekend.  We took the door off, and brought it into the house on a furniture dolly.  Watch for the ball bearings if you take the door off.  We had to take it off a 2nd time coz we missed one.

Mike
[+]:D][>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I built my own 22 gun safe for about $500. Compares well with most $2000 safes. I had been kicking the idea around in my head for years, but finallly did it last winter. Spend whatever is necessary, it will pay for itself in peace of mind.

Fred
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Fort Knox with the optional fire door.  Like the safe and only regret that I did not get the electronic lock.  Like the others have said: Bolt the safe to the floor & buy the biggest you can afford.  Remember it will be with you a long time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds good to me.  I was wanting the electronic combo but wasnt sure how it stacked up vs. a dial combo.

Now to pick one !   I will post back here once I have narrowed the candidates.

Thanks again for all the info  ;)
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:03:39 AM EDT
[#33]
DO get a safe. (As big as you can.)

DO NOT get a safe from "Sportsman Steel Safe Co." in SoCal.

Absolutely the WORST customer service I've had EVER, and I'm usually not a complainer or an unreasonable person.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Take a look at this site, they list many manufacturers and prices.  I've purchased here before and they are reasonably priced.
[url]http://www.deansafe.com/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top