Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2001 2:54:56 PM EDT
In August I picked up a $200 Russian SKS to play with.  Choate stock, shell deflector, cheapo scope.  Today was the first time I've been able to shoot it with all the new goodies. Not exactly breathtaking accuracy, but I don't expect that with an SKS.  It hit cans and other things reliably at 50 yards for a few hours.  Eventually, however, the recoil must have eventually been enough to shake loose the screws on the Norinco scope mount.  I wondered why my shots were going all over the place, then when I went to check the scope, it was wobbling all over the place.  So I came back home and super-glued the screws in place.  Hope that stops them from coming loose.  Also, the shell deflector only did it's job some of the time.  A few spent casings ended up hitting the scope anyway, so I cut a piece of bicycle innterube to protect the scope.  All in all a fun day, and once I fix those few problems, everything should be cool.  

P.S. anybody else ever shoot a 2" thick Biology textbook with a blackpowder .45-70?   F*cking AWESOME.  Instant confetti.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds pretty cool, where can I get one?
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Williams peep sight on an AK for awhile.  It was cool until it broke off, something the original crude AK sight would never do.  The peep itself was mounted on what amounted to a brittle leaf spring.

"Super glue?"  They make this neat stuff nowadays called Loc-Tite, a bit less extreme (and permanent) than super glue.  [:)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

P.S. anybody else ever shoot a 2" thick Biology textbook with a blackpowder .45-70?   F*cking AWESOME.  Instant confetti.  
View Quote

Noooo, but I did blast an old copy of my wife's Physician's Resk Reference (prescription drugs manual), about four inches thick in hardcover, at the range with my Brown Bess musket the other day. BOOM!!! Neat .75 cal holes in front, blasted to bits in the back- hoo-ah!! >:^D
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I was trying to adjust it and the flimsy brittle piece of metal, to which the peep is attached, simply snapped.  Something that cheesy shouldn't be on an AK.

After some experimentation, I prefer the original, albeit crude, AK sights.  Sure the sight picture sucks, but you could adjust those sights with a sledge if need be.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I installed one of those peep sights on that SKS I did all of that "easy" stock work on. Well, the guy said the sight install would be "easy" too. Ha. It was a pain in the ass  getting the spring to stay compressed while getting the roll pin in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top