Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2001 4:29:15 PM EDT
Normally, I only play multi-player first person shooters.. I prefer dod and firearms...

I recently was without ISP and decided to play Half Life. I had owned the game since before it was reliesed (pre-perchase). I had never played the game single player for more than an hour. If you haven't tried it  you should. I hadn't played a game so obsesivly since Diablo was reliesed.  

The ending was a real bummer though.

Anybody else ever play this?

Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Normally, I only play multi-player first person shooters.. I prefer dod and firearms...

I recently was without ISP and decided to play Half Life. I had owned the game since before it was reliesed (pre-perchase). I had never played the game single player for more than an hour. If you haven't tried it  you should. I hadn't played a game so obsesivly since Diablo was reliesed.  

The ending was a real bummer though.

View Quote

I finished it too.  So which choice did you make?  I saved the game right before I chose so I could choose one and then reload it and choose the other.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The first time I chose to tell him screw you...

I didn't believe he could offer me a fight I couldn't win. Funny how wrong I was.

I was disapointed to simply be hired.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the weird section where you are on the other side of the dimensional rift. Specifically, I'm in a chapter titled "Nihilinth", where you're in this pit with this giant E.T.-esque creature that alternatively shoots blue bolts that inflict damage or a green bolt that transports you to other locations that you have to get through. Occasionally, he goes up the pit and appears to regenerate via 4 crystals that are on the pit walls. I destroyed all of these, and kept lobbing at him, which weakened him. But, he doesn't die. How do I get through this level?
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
That's the end.  Destroy the crystals, as you've done, then wait for the alien's head to open up after shooting at him.  At that time, jump up with one of those catapult pads and hit the inside of the head with explosives (grenades or rocket launcher).  That's how you kill him.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yes!  Great game.  I also saved before the ending so I could go down each path.  I especially enjoyed the female assassins, and was completely taken by surprise by what happens after you clear the first level they are on.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I never finished it.  Got to the part where he went to the alien world at the same time I discovered TFC.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
"It's time to choose, Mr. Freeman.  It's time to choose...".  It would have been [b]so[/b] satisfying to be able to kill the G-Man.  The SOB...

I'll never forget the first time I played.  I fired it up and the intro began and my jaw dropped.  I still consider it the best first-person-shooter single-player experience.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of course!  I think it's the best game ever made.  From start to finish it is amazing.  I even like the ending.  A lot of people said it was an incredible let down, but I think it fit the game perfectly.  How else do you end a such a great game?  You kill some big baddy and everyone says you're a hero?  This left uncertainty and plenty of directions for a potential sequel.

Speaking of a sequel...has anyone heard if there will be a half-life 2?  it's about time.  The original came out about 3 years ago.  I think valve is still working on team fortress 2....
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I never finished it.  Got to the part where he went to the alien world at the same time I discovered TFC.  
View Quote

TFC is great.  I've played TeamFortress since it was on the Quake 1 engine.  TFC is so much better.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been waiting for TF2 since TFC came out.... I was playing TF before that...

I cant believe I waited nearly 3 years to finish this.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Of course!  I think it's the best game ever made.  From start to finish it is amazing.  I even like the ending.  A lot of people said it was an incredible let down, but I think it fit the game perfectly.  How else do you end a such a great game?  You kill some big baddy and everyone says you're a hero?  This left uncertainty and plenty of directions for a potential sequel.

Speaking of a sequel...has anyone heard if there will be a half-life 2?  it's about time.  The original came out about 3 years ago.  I think valve is still working on team fortress 2....
View Quote

You guys have been spending too much time on the range (blasphemy?)  There have been TWO "sequels" released already.

1.  Half-Life: Opposing Force:  You play a soldier.
2.  Half-Life: Blue-Shift: You play a cop.

Both are not true sequels...same story line but you play different characters in the line...new scenes, new weapons...they are different games.

Both were fun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

You guys have been spending too much time on the range (blasphemy?)  There have been TWO "sequels" released already.

1.  Half-Life: Opposing Force:  You play a soldier.
2.  Half-Life: Blue-Shift: You play a cop.

Both are not true sequels...same story line but you play different characters in the line...new scenes, new weapons...they are different games.

Both were fun.
View Quote

Yes, I have those.  I don't consider them sequels in any sense.  They were fun, however, and I recommend them.  To anyone who hasn't played them, you don't have to buy them separately.  If you buy "Half-Life: Blue Shift" it comes with "Opposing Force"

Both of these were made by a different software company (Gearbox, I believe).  I still can't understand what's taking Valve so long on TF2....  But I guess Half-Life was a year or two late as well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Exellent game. Finished it several times. I've also been in two TFC clans and my brother is the head honcho of a major TFC tournament league.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Exellent game. Finished it several times. I've also been in two TFC clans and my brother is the head honcho of a major TFC tournament league.
View Quote

Which league?
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried to play that game again and within 15 minutes it gave me motion sickness. I guess I will have to get some more ginger candy to keep me from barfing if I want to try it again.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I never got through the end of half life or opposing force, started playing TFC and counter strike
hope to get some more counter strike in once school is out
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Which league?
View Quote

STA. Goes by the name Beserker.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#20]
There is a little joke about TF2 coming out. they will keep putting out patches until finally it says when finally installed

"Congratulations you now have Team Fortess Classic 2"
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Any of you guys remember Duke Nukem 3d?  Now there was a great ending to a game.  Duke rips the end bosses head off, pulls out a newspaper and sh1ts down its neck while reading the paper.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#22]
If you thought the ending of Half Life was bad, there is even less of an ending at the end of Blue Shift. Either way the Half Life games are all freaking awsome.

Counter Strike is the best LAN party game in history!

Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who normaly harbors disdain for FPS...lol
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#23]
i was dissapointed in Half-Life. to me it did not measure up to the hype. Metal gear solid 1&2 has a much better story and endings.

if i was Gordan Freeman; i would have blasted that weirdo G-man type guy. i think he was an alien in disguise.

i enjoyed Opposing Forces more then either the original or Blue Shift.

Global Operations should be better than Counter-strike. with more accurate weapons instead of a 50 round 9mm M4 using .223 mags and a beretta m92f that ejects empty shell casing through the barrel.

Half-lib

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top