Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2001 1:36:21 PM EDT
I have always wanted a Tommy gun and thought now would be a good time to pursue one.

I know the weapons history and I know that Khar now owns Auto-Ordnance.........what I never see much of is talk regarding these weapons.

Are they so outdated............infamous.........or disliked that no chatter is generated or is there something I am missing.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to any pros and cons of this carbine?

Thanks Guys.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The Thompson machine gun is a pleasure to shoot, if you have never tried one on I highly reccommend it.  The Auto-Ordnance Thompson, while being a nice weapon, is just a HEAVY .45cal semi-auto rifle.  There are better.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto the "Heavy", even in it's lightest config.  I can't see it being that much fun to shoot if your arms are screaming for mercy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a sentimental attachment to the Thompson, go for it, but you can do better such as an Uzi in 45ACP. I picked up an all steel one at a gun show, oh man was it heavy for a pistol caliber rifle. Even the aluminum version wieght a ton, I think it was something like 2 pounds lighter than the steel.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Like they said. Heavy, real heavy. Like 9 or 10 pounds heavy. For a pistol caliber carbine, That's heavy. If you want a .45ACP carbine look for the Marlin camp carbine in .45 ACP. Ruger makes the PCR carbine in .40 and 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You had it right...."I've always wanted a Tommy gun, but...."
If you're looking for a civilian-legal, historical firearm to collect and shoot, the Thompson's will fill the bill.  If you're looking for a defensive arm, there are lighter, more modern guns out there.

Since most of would like to have a full auto TSMG, but either can't afford one, or live where they are a no-no, the semi version will do just fine.

The Thompson's are a HOOT to shoot, and are reliable, and accurate.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
The Auto-Ordnance Thompson is a swell fun gun. I have an A-1 Deluxe and an A-1C (lightweight). The 1927 A-1 is heavy (as mentioned) but it is made out of steel and wood. Hang a drum mag on there and it is really heavy. Who cares? You aren't a wimp are you? The A-1C is lighter and is fine for young ladies to shoot. I know, you want the M1 carbine, I'd like to have one of those too. They shoot surprisingly well. One thing for sure, everyone that sees them knows what they are. I've got a violin case and everything. Great fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top