Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2001 11:46:51 AM EDT
Wapun State Correctional Facility, Wapun Wi.
[url]http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/dec01/3593.asp[/url]
Wiccans are also recognized by the US Army as a legitimate religon and claim to not worship Satan... The do worship what they call "The Horned God"
aka known as Satan...
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#1]
So?

If you don't like what they have to say don't listen to them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard on the radio this morning that they fired her.  I don't know if that's a fact or not, but if so she'll end up rich as hell after sueing the state.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Burn the witch!  She turned me into a newt!
[NI]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]
"taxpayers shouldn't be forced to accept this hocus-pocus"...?  But ancient fairy tales from a bunch of sheep herding Jews are perfectly fine?  Or maybe just the hocus-pocus about a Jew hippie carpenter who got hisself executed by the system?
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#6]

I predict that "RiffRandall" will have a short life here............

Just an opinion.........

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 1:57:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:28:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm putting on my flame proof suit before I post this [;)] Wicca is one of the oldest religions there is. It translates to "craft of the wise". The reason the horned God has become associated with Satan is because when Christians came into popularity they took the gods from the old religion and demonized them. The horned god has nothing to do with the Christian concept of Satan. The Wiccan Rede is actually a beautiful piece of writing that has much in common with the basic teachings of the bible.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:02:16 AM EDT
[#9]
What Larry said.

But I'm afraid this will degenerate into a screaming match anyway.

Blessed be.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:19:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmmm...

Maybe this witch can show the inmates that popular morality play by Harry Potter, to show ther inmates how to use their powers for good, and not evil.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:38:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"taxpayers shouldn't be forced to accept this hocus-pocus"...?  But ancient fairy tales from a bunch of sheep herding Jews are perfectly fine?  Or maybe just the hocus-pocus about a Jew hippie carpenter who got hisself executed by the system?
View Quote

Quoted:
....when Christians came into popularity

larry dude -

I was gonna do this big long post about TRUE Christianity NEVER having been "popular" but Riff makes my point better than I ever could.

[:D]

And Jesus Christ said it better than ANYONE could - "If they hated me, they will hate you also."

NO, NO ONE gets into TRUE Christianity with the desire of becoming "popular."

Now there's ALOT of FAKE Christianity that does rank on the "popularity" scale.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I have some good friends who are Wiccans.  They don't even believe that Satan exists, much less worship him.  For my part, I believe their religion is no more true than any other; but, they, as a group, are far less prone to self-righteousness than believers from some other "mainstream" religions (e.g. Islam, Christianity) are.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#13]
>larry dude <

It's dudette,LOL[:D]

>I was gonna do this big long post about TRUE Christianity NEVER having been "popular" but Riff makes my point better than I ever could.<

My apologies, I didn't phrase that as well as I could have. What I was trying to say is that Wicca is a religion that is older than Christianity. When Christianity became more predominate, the spiritual leaders of the time used the gods from what they considered to be the pagan religion, Wicca, and demonized them. It worked pretty well too. People are still relating the Horned God with Satan.

>NO, NO ONE gets into TRUE Christianity with the desire of becoming "popular."<

I agree 100% with you on that but will also add that no one gets into any religion whole heartedly with the desire of being popular.

>Now there's ALOT of FAKE Christianity that does rank on the "popularity" scale.<

I hear that one!!
What I am trying to say is that Wicca is actually a very old religion/belief system that is based on the same principles that the majority of organized religion is based on. To compare Satan with the Horned God is ridiculous.As it says in the Rede, Ever mind the rule of three, what ye put out comes back on thee. Basically it means Do unto others. The main difference is that Wicca instructs that what you put out comes back three times over. By the way, I was raised Catholic and I am not a practicing Wiccan but I have the greatest respect for true followers. It is a beautiful religion as well as a peaceful one.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

NO, NO ONE gets into TRUE Christianity with the desire of becoming "popular."

Now there's ALOT of FAKE Christianity that does rank on the "popularity" scale.

View Quote

Crap... I can't beleive that I'm going to ask you this.  I've spent almost an entire semester not getting into it with you but now I've got to ask.  

What do you consider "TRUE" Christianity?  And what forms of popular Christianity do you consider "FAKE"?  

We can take this up in another thread if you don't want to overrun 9divdoc's post.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:33:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Wicca is one of the oldest religions there is.
View Quote

How old is the oldest written copy of the Rede?

It seems as though the Wiccans are, in a sense, trying to have things both ways.  On the one hand, they maintain that they're practicing a peaceful, "positive" religion.  On the other hand, they claim to be a continuation of an ancient tradition that most likely was [b]not[/b] very sweet and gentle.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What do you consider "TRUE" Christianity?  And what forms of popular Christianity do you consider "FAKE"?  

We can take this up in another thread if you don't want to overrun 9divdoc's post.
View Quote

Well, quite simply-

TRUE Christianity follows the Holy Scriptures, the Textus Receptus accounts of the lifestyle both demonstrated and taught by Jesus Christ.

FAKE Christianity does not. In reality, it has MORE to do with individual people than it does organized religions.

let me illustrate by example -

Jim Baker and Jim(?) Swaggart ran their mouths about God and Chrsitianity, but when it came down to it, they were just money hungry adulterers. I can't say whether they were saved or not, but they SURE were FAKE in their Christianity. They DID NOT follow Christ's example.

Hope that helps explain my daffynition of "real" vs. "fake."

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, quite simply-

TRUE Christianity follows the Holy Scriptures, the Textus Receptus accounts of the lifestyle both demonstrated and taught by Jesus Christ.

FAKE Christianity does not. In reality, it has MORE to do with individual people than it does organized religions.

let me illustrate by example -

Jim Baker and Jim(?) Swaggart ran their mouths about God and Chrsitianity, but when it came down to it, they were just money hungry adulterers. I can't say whether they were saved or not, but they SURE were FAKE in their Christianity. They DID NOT follow Christ's example.
View Quote

So are you saying that there are true and false Christians or are you saying that there is true and false Christianity?  Your above examples have left me confused.  Baker and Swaggart both preached scripture and had/have large Christian followings from many people who consider themselves to be following the word of God.  Sure they were money hungry and sure they were adulterers but that doesn't make them much different than many great "Christian" rulers in history.

And it seems to me that one of the fundamental principles of Christianity is that one can have an individual, personal relationship with God.  This has absolutely everything to do with the individual person and almost nothing to do with organized religion.  

Again, you've left me confused about your position.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So are you saying that there are true and false Christians or are you saying that there is true and false Christianity?  Again, you've left me confused about your position.
View Quote

Sorry. Let me try again.

There is true religion, which is internalized and charachterized by obedience to God, by following the example of Christ. Such religion gives God all the credit for the morality one may achieve in their lifetime.

Also, there is false religion which is external, built on pride, showy, and stresses one's own personal moral accomplishment.

re: individuals -

There are true and false Chrsitians based on which of the two religionss above they practice.

And it seems to me that one of the fundamental principles of Christianity is that one can have an individual, personal relationship with God.  This has absolutely everything to do with the individual person and almost nothing to do with organized religion.  

View Quote

Well said. A good addition to my thoughts.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#19]
There is an assumption that she would win a lawsuit against the state if fired for her religion.  I think in this case that is probably not true.

One defense to a discrimination action is that there is a bona-fide occupational qualification (BFOQ) that requires discrimination based on a protected characteristic.  It has been applied primarily in the case of actors and such.  I think that it can be argued that since a chaplain is hired to minister to the spiritual needs of prisoners, at least moderately accepted religious beliefs are an appropriate requirement.  Wicca is not a generally accepted religion, and therefore the witch is really only optimal to serve the spiritual needs of a very small portion of the imprisioned population.

A court might also consider the motive of the warden in hiring her.  Use of a state office to make a political statement is a misuse of that power.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Wiccan Rede is actually a beautiful piece of writing that has much in common with the basic teachings of the bible.
View Quote

Yea, minus all that "unimportant" stuff like "I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life...".  Right?

I am tired of the weak-minded dribble that compares various religions (Islam, Wicca, etc) to Christianity in order to make them appear more acceptable.  Sorry folks, Islam and Wicca have NOTHING in common with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Period.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yea, minus all that "unimportant" stuff like "I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life...".  Right?

I am tired of the weak-minded dribble that compares various religions (Islam, Wicca, etc) to Christianity in order to make them appear more acceptable.  Sorry folks, Islam and Wicca have NOTHING in common with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Period.
View Quote

I only wish that one day we'll finally recognize and come to the realization that Christianity was the official and only intended interpretation of the word religion in the first ammendment, and start ridding this great nation of infidels.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I only wish that one day we'll finally recognize and come to the realization that Christianity was the official and only intended interpretation of the word religion in the first ammendment, and start ridding this great nation of infidels.
View Quote

Hmmmm..

Patrick Henry disagreed with you.

He indicated that it was the loving and tolerant nature of Christianity toward the existence of other religious belief (while maintaining the right to debate their specific tenets) that made America such a great nation, and indicated that THIS was the intent of the first Amendment.

But then, you were laying down bait anyway.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

[b[I predict that "RiffRandall" will have a short life here............

Just an opinion.........

View Quote
[/b]

Maybe so but what he said is true.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Who cares? I have more important things to do than tell people what/who they can/can't worship.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hahahaha!! That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen here. LMAO!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Aaaand the cycle of self righteous religious lecturing/posturing begins anew.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Aaaand the cycle of self righteous religious lecturing/posturing begins anew.
View Quote

Uhhh, if you are gonna make a post like this, you need to name names, so I can know if I need to flame you, or to wait for others to do it.

I mean, pick a side dude. Don't just stand in the middle and claim moral superiority SIMPLY because you are trying to look like "the voice of reason."

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Now who's baiting who?
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Now who's baiting who?
View Quote

Alls I'm saying is I want to know if I was flamed, or the other side was being flamed. In short, what the #@!! is he saying????

None of these sneak attacks. Be a man. Mean what you say, and clearly say what you mean.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#30]
[;D]"Alls I'm saying is I want to know if I was flamed..."

Dude, you crack me up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
[;D]"Alls I'm saying is I want to know if I was flamed..."

Dude, you crack me up.
View Quote

Well, mission accomplished then.

"I'll be here all week. My CD's are in the gift shop."
[BD]

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#32]
It was merely a smart-ass comment, poking fun at all.
But I do have a question for you.

When you stated:
TRUE Christianity follows the Holy Scriptures, the
Textus Receptus
View Quote
accounts of the lifestyle both demonstrated and taught by Jesus Christ.

Were you refering to specific edition of the new testament?  

Or were you making a reference to your own belief (and those of your denomination) that the new testament is true

I normally would take the statement Textus Receptus as refering to a specific edition of the new testament.  But I guess depending on denomination it could differ.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wicca is one of the oldest religions there is.
View Quote

How old is the oldest written copy of the Rede?

It seems as though the Wiccans are, in a sense, trying to have things both ways.  On the one hand, they maintain that they're practicing a peaceful, "positive" religion.  On the other hand, they claim to be a continuation of an ancient tradition that most likely was [b]not[/b] very sweet and gentle.  
View Quote

I truly don't know how old the Rede is. I'm sure that through the years the religion has evolved as most do. There are so many different sects and branches of Wicca just as there are many branches of Christianity. My only point was that Wicca is a valid belief system and generaly not as it is portrayed in the media.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When you stated:
TRUE Christianity follows the Holy Scriptures, the
Textus Receptus
View Quote
accounts of the lifestyle both demonstrated and taught by Jesus Christ.

Were you refering to specific edition of the new testament?  

Or were you making a reference to your own belief (and those of your denomination) that the new testament is true

I normally would take the statement Textus Receptus as refering to a specific edition of the new testament.  But I guess depending on denomination it could differ.
View Quote

The textus Receptus, or "received text" doesn't really belong to any give denomination. Its more the compilation of books  and texts that early church councils and later, to a much smaller extent, the King James Version authors determined to be "Holy Writ."

Oddly, these church councils were part of an organization that later morphed into the Catholic Church. And many here can assure you I am no fan of the Catholic Church. But the early church councils did, IMO a fair job, of determining the "canon" of Scripture.

BTW -

Textus Receptus is the basis for which NUMEROUS different translations, used by numerous different demoninations, were translated out of.

In short, textus Receptus is "community property" between denominations.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#35]
[I]The new chaplain at Waupun Correctional Institution, a Wiccan named Witch, insisted Thursday she is qualified for the job...[/I]"

So if she is a witch...

and witches burn like wood...

and since wood floats like a duck...

then logically...

if she ...

weighs the same...

as a duck ...

she's made of wood...

and therefore...
the Army can build a bridge out of her!  [bounce]

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just an opinion.........

View Quote

Actually I thought that his point was very interesting?

Why exactly do you predict a short shelf life?
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now who's baiting who?
View Quote

Alls I'm saying is I want to know if I was flamed, or the other side was being flamed. In short, what the #@!! is he saying????

None of these sneak attacks. Be a man. Mean what you say, and clearly say what you mean.

View Quote

If it is of any help Garandman....consider yourself FLAMED!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just an opinion.........

View Quote

Actually I thought that his point was very interesting?

Why exactly do you predict a short shelf life?
View Quote

Sometimes it's not what you say, but HOW you say it.  I believe he was trying to say that no particular religion deserves to be "recognized" any more than another.  I agree with that.  I just wouldn't have said it the way he did.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Is this a bad place to bring up the "cult of the DJoaS" comment again?
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#40]
i cant resist

"BURN THE WITCH!" "YEAH BURN HER"
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Even Wiccans admit the truth of the satanic roots of modern day Wicca

[url]http://maxpages.com/auburnwitch/Satanism_And_History_Wicca[/url]
Wiccans themselves admit to satanic origins.....
 All Pagan religons are satanic/luciferian in nature..whether its vishnu, kali
quetesquotal moloch baal or the taliban makes no difference demons and satan have appeared throughout all human cultures in all time frames as a variety of entities..Wicca is another lie wrought by the father of all lies..the horned god satan or one of his lieutenants ..matters not..
  [url]http://www.watchman.org/profile/witchpro.htm[/url]
There is but one God ..the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob...and there is but one name under Heaven whereby man must be saved.. and that is the Lord Jesus Christ.. but this is not given to everyman to know..many have hardend their hearts and many have had them hardend..
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

looks like the start of our own "Taliban"
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Here we go (G-Man...I ain't throwing rocks at you)....To present the other side of the story... many early christian offshoots had less
than attractive practices also...ophidians---snake worship(as in the Serpent) or cenobites--an early sect involved in ritual self-mutilation....does this mean the current christians believe in the deity as incarnate in the serpent or beating themselves silly? In some other religions, they do not recognize or worship the devil-satan, lucifer,
beelzebubba...etc. But inside the christian world, any worshop not following the principles of the day are seen as outside the pale and therefore devil-worship. This attitude, largely,
in my opinion, stemming from catholic historical events of scapegoating, seems to take away from the primary purpose of Iesus's teachings.......
but then, again I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top