Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2001 8:54:16 AM EDT
I have always wanted a Winchester 94 30/30. I suppose it's because all of my cowboy heroes carried a Winchester. I have Browning lever guns and a Winchester 22 Mag also, but I never bought a 30/30 94 Winchester.

Those that shoot 94 Winchesters, what brands/bullet grs. do best for plinking and pests. Thanks ahead of time and Merry Christmas to all.

Just got my new tool home. I like the way it carries and how fast it is to shoulder, very handsome rifle. Should have gotten one of these a long time ago. For now I bought 2 boxes of Winchester 150 GR. Silvertips .  Great gun and I am happy with it. I was told to oil it up and put it away untill Santa comes,  damn I am Santa.

Thanks guys, and DaMan I printed out your load info. I will be trying out your recipes.
  [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p5ceb1a691e99ee678c2473e9c6e43c09/fe169cad.gif[/img]  
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Those that shoot 94 Winchesters, what brands/bullet grs. do best for plinking and pests. Thanks ahead of time and Merry Christmas to all.
View Quote

I don't shoot a Win. 94, BUT I have worked quite a bit on various .30-30 loads.  For plinking and pests, I like a reload using Unique and 165 gr. LFNs sized to .310". These are FUN plinker and pest loads!  I use the plain base design, but you can also use the gas check designs.  7.0 - 9.0 gr. of Unique with standard large rifle primer.  

This is a plinking load and really fun for use on pistol type steel reactive targets.

DaMan
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on the new purchase, always fun to bring home a new baby. [:)]

I've been thinking about picking up a lever action, probably in .45LC to match the Vaquero I also plan on eventually getting.

OK, Ford vs. Chevy time, should I get a Marlin or a Winchester?  What are the good and bad points of each?  

Living in California sure helps round out a gun collection as the would all be black if I lived in another state. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Ratters, if you're thinking of using them for any SASS stuff I would go with the Marlin.

Of course, I use a Winny. But I'm an oddball.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Whinny and a Bushy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Tramp,
I second what Daman says on the cast bullets for fun plinking loads, I also used Unique powder but am sure there are others that would perform great.

Ratters,
 My wife has a lever gun made by Rossi in 45LC. It is a replica of the Winchester model 92. (Chuck Connors used a 92 in his classic TV show the Rifleman) This gun comes in the carbine and rifle config. The wife's is the full rifle version with half round and half octogan barrel. I think the thing that sold us on this rifle over the other replicas is it doesn't have the added safety button that comes on the Winchesters and Marlins.
I have a lever gun in 45LC also, it is from Uberti and is the 1860 Henry model. I like this gun also but will admit that I end up shooting the wifes much more than the Henry. I think maybe I will get another in the 1873!
Have fun,
Tuco
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top