Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2001 12:14:33 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a pre-ban M-4gery. I'd prefer still NIB but am flexible. What is the going rate for one of these made by Colt, Bushmaster,???
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd look around for any quality preban AR and from their build it up into an M-4 - even if you get only stripped preban lower - as long as its preban your options are unlimited
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Try [url]www.vectorarms.com[/url], I got a NIB Bushy Pre-ban a month ago for $1600, he also has Colts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Retro, will a preban PWA work?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, you got me, what's a PWA?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pssssst, buy an 80% lower forging with no paperwork, get an exacto knife and carve a pre-ban serial number into it, gun kote it in your oven...  voila, $75 pre-ban lower...  don't tell anyone our little secret!

View Quote

I would never do this because the way my luck works, I would carve the serial number of a stolen rifle in it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay, you got me, what's a PWA?
View Quote

PWA = Pac West Arms
Not exactly a designer brand (Colt), but works just fine, as far as I've experienced.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#9]
A Bushmaster preban will probably be around $1300-1400. A BM preban M4gery will add about $200 more to it.
A Colt preban will be about the same but a Colt M4gery (All Colt) will run you $1600-1800.
These would be fair prices for a NIB or almost new.
Of course if you find one in less than 98% condition the price would be less than these and with Christmas on the way you never know?
These 2 brands will bring the most because you can call the factory and get a letter proving that these are preban!
I am not saying they are better than any other brand but some people find the proof to be worth something.
There are other companies that you can call and find out if they are preban but with Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt you have a definite serial # cutoff! I believe PWA's (PacWestArms) had a cutoff number to but you don't see to many of them around.
So if you are looking at a gunshow on the weekend you can know for sure if it is preban!
Unless someone carved the # with an exacto knife![;)]

I saw one around Austin for sale.
If you would like any more info then feel free to email me.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
PWA cutoff is 35222. I have three of them as well as Bushy & Colt. I prefer the PWA to all.True, not a designer, but a damn fine weapon.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey retrodog,
I thought I'd put my 2 cents in here, you might want to check out the equipment exchange forum for a feel of what people are asking for various stuff.
Depending on what you want the rifle for, I'm not sure how important NIB or even what the rifle's current configuration is.

I like shooting mine, so the fact that it was sold as '99%' when I bought it really wasn't that important in the long run (I've ran about 1500 rds through it).

I also wouldn't rule out buying something that maybe isn't exactly what you're looking for and building it in the M4 style as you get around to it. You could then sell off parts or keep them around for the next one you buy.

I bought mine from prebanarms.com but it looks like their prices have went up a little since last year. The owner was very easy to deal with and it was exactly as advertised.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
BM preban lower is $750-875
BM M4 upper is $360.
BCH and Carry handle is $160
$1300 for a Preban BM M4
cpermd
What am I missing?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:13:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I sort of wimped out. I got there and looked around and any of the "new" M4 types were up around 2K. I finally found what appeared to be an Eagle Arms version for $1500. I even called a friend to check the serial number. It did indeed check out. While examining it more closely I found that there were no scratch marks in the magazine port and none on the outside either. It appeared to look new. Further examination revealed a DPMS telescopic stock. When I asked the guy about it he explained that it was a used lower that he had returned to Bushmaster(or Eagle Arms or somebody) for re-coating and the upper was a new Armalite one. Basically a mix and match (which I don't really have a problem with cause I liked the parts that he picked). I got him down to $1400 but,,,

I also found another rifle that I really like and for much less money. It was an Armalite M15A2 Carbine. The price on it was $750. So,,,, I got the new Armalite. It is sweeeeeeeet. I couldn't figure out why it was so much lighter than my Colt 20" HBAR Match Target until last night when I took the hand guards off. Although the barrel is .72" where exposed, it tapers down to .62" under the handguard. This coupled with the 4" shorter barrel and shorter handguard give it quite a lighter feel. Gotta go shoot it though cause it's driving me crazy.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=239607&a=1780557&p=57197135&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

Played with it a little last night and then picked up my AR-10T. YIKES!!! What a difference. That thing weighs a ton.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top