Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/22/2008 8:45:54 PM EDT
Rate the MREs from best to worst

The beef enchilada(shaped like a pop-tart)

was pretty good, the beans were even better
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
In before Sherrick13
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't you ever sleep??
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I need this!!! I'm tired of finding the worst out of the box...

Beef and Macaroni =
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not best to worst, more like which degree I hate them at. They all suck, the question is which one I hate the least. I'll go with country captain chicken. May it R.I.P.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't you ever sleep??

Not half as much as I'd like, or used to
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Chicken ala Thing you're welcome to... circa 1992...

Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#7]
The only MREs I've been able to actually enjoy are beef stew and pork rib.

The rest I merely tolerate for nutritional purposes however without a doubt the veggie omelet is the worst but it comes with pop-tarts which are yummy.

Pretty much all chicken meals come with some form of M&Ms
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]
it's not so much best to worst...some were downright terrible (omlette with spam) to bearable (chicken with rice or tuna with noodles)....it's that they ALL had the same nasty skank ass aftertaste.  didn't matter which one.

I think this is my bitterness for having eaten so many of the fucking things.  My civilian friends that I gave some to as 'gifts' thought they were all awesome.  Now eat them for weeks on end...

If I never eat another MRE, it will be too soon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh yeah, the heater thingie said to put it back in the box to heat it

but, there was only room in the box for the enchilada

so, I put the beans AND enchilada in the MRE bag

neither one of them really got very hot
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The pork chow mien is well.... Stops you up like a cork though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Chicken ala King is my all time fav, but, when they came out with the Spaghetti..... we would fight over that one (Yeah, were talking old school MRE's, not that fancy new shit.)

Somewhere out there, somebody misses the dehydrated pork patty, or beef patty......
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Anything with rice or beans is
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I stole this on another site. My favorites starting from the top (2004 menus).

MENU 8
Beef Patty
Nacho Cheese Pretzels
Macaroni & Cheese, Mexican
Cheese Spread w/Bacon
Wheat Snack Bread (2)
BBQ Sauce
Beverage Base, Powdered
Hot Sauce
Accessory Packet, C
Spoon
Flameless Heater

MENU 24
Meat Loaf w/Gravy
Mashed Potato
Vanilla Wafer Cookie
Jelly
Crackers
Cocoa Beverage Powder

Accessory Packet, B
Spoon
Flameless Heater

MENU 2
Pork Rib
Clam Chowder
Cheese Spread
Wheat Snack Bread (2)
Cookie

Beverage Base, Powdered
Hot Sauce
Accessory Packet, A
Spoon
Flameless Heater

MENU 12
Veggie Burger w/BBQ sauce**
Hard Candy
Fudge Brownie
Cranberries, dried
Peanut Butter
Wheat Snack Bread (2)

Hot Sauce
Accessory Packet, C
Spoon
Flameless Heater

MENU 16
Chicken w/Noodles
Raspberry Applesauce
Peanut Butter
Crackers
Candy***
Pretzels
Cocoa Beverage Powder
Hot Sauce
Accessory Packet, A
Spoon
Flameless Heater

MENU 5
Chicken Breast
Minestrone Stew
Cheese Spread (Jalapeno)
Wheat Snack Bread
Pound Cake
Candy***

Accessory Packet, D
Spoon
Flameless Heater

MENU 20
Spaghetti w/Meat Sauce
Apple Sauce, carbo fortified
Cheese Spread
Wheat Snack Bread

Dairy Shake
Hot Sauce
Accessory Packet, A
Spoon
Flameless Heater

The rest are all even for me. I still have not tried some menus.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Cheese Tortellini FTW as stated in the other MRE thread as well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, the heater thingie said to put it back in the box to heat it

but, there was only room in the box for the enchilada

so, I put the beans AND enchilada in the MRE bag

neither one of them really got very hot

I bought a bunch of heaters from ebay to solve that problem.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I love meat, but the Veggie pasta alfredo MRE was the freakin bomb...the pasta and sauce was great, as were the snacks...the veggie cracker was terrible, but I had the peanut butter to get the taste out of my mouth
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#17]
They all suck equally
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Cajun Rice with Beans and Sausage was delicious!  I had a ham steak one circa 1998, some kid brought it in for "show and tell" in seventh grade, that one wasn't too bad either.

All definitely blocked me up though, but thats what the gum and creamer is for anyways. lol.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Also, is it possible to just buy the ones you want?

the ads I've seen in the past specifically stated NO
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the Cheese Tortellini
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Dehydrated pork patty with ketchup was AWESOME.  Break that patty up in the pack.  Open it up and rehydrate with a bit of fresh coffee.  Then sprinkle the dehydrated ketchup packet over the patty, adding more coffee to get a gravy-ketchup sauce on the ground pork.  Let sit for 5 minutes.  Unwrap the crackers, spread the rehydrated mix over the crackers.  Top with the pickeled jalepeno slices you snuck into your ruck. Add cheese whiz from a can over the top. Open a can of beans to top it off!

Yes. I did that.  Tabasco sauce was also a staple in my ruck.  In cool weather, the peppers kept.  Discard the first bit of cheese that comes out of the nozzle.

Before the heaters, the exhaust muffler on a 5k or 10k gas generator would heat a canteen cup of water in about 5 minutes.

Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Chicken ala King is my all time fav, but, when they came out with the Spaghetti..... we would fight over that one (Yeah, were talking old school MRE's, not that fancy new shit.)

Somewhere out there, somebody misses the dehydrated pork patty, or beef patty......

I've known people who preferred those...  Me, I threw 'em in my stash for when money in college was tight, they weren't too bad cooked into ramen.  But eating them in the field?  Nope, don't like dentists that much.  We practically paused an FTX the first time we got MRE's with Tabasco in them... We'd already grabbed the case from the cache and run (our OPFOR/instructors had a habit of hitting us at food pickups, so we'd set up a perimeter near by, send in the sacrifice to grab the case, then bug out two hundred meters before stopping).  MRE heaters were a godsend, IF you were paused long enough to cook (usually during the AAR after a lane) with one.  Of course, I'd gone to Brigade Quartermasters, bought a pack, and then they started issuing them to us (ROTC cadidiot).  Still have some in a box in the garage.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I wish we could have had the new stuff, we were stuck with such "goodies" as escalloped potatoes/ham and the every nasty corned beef hash that even all the hot sauce in the world could rid one of its nasty taste.  If I had the choice between those two and not eating, well I wouldn't eat.

Fucking T-Rats are even nastier than than the nastiest MRE, got to love the green egg omelet cubes and  the chicken that had a worst aftertaste than a formaldehyde laced Singha beer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Chicken and rice with all of the little bottle of tabasco and pepper packet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've got a Chicken ala Thing you're welcome to... circa 1992...

Dibs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Best - Tuna Noodle Casserole (early 90's)
Worst - Dehydrated Beef Patty (late 80's) - I'm just glad the first one I ate was in the middle of the night - I didn't have to look at it!
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Worst = ham slice
Best = cheese tortellini
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

best = Slopy Joe

Worst = cheese omelet
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The only MREs I've been able to actually enjoy are beef stew and pork rib.

The rest I merely tolerate for nutritional purposes however without a doubt the veggie omelet is the worst but it comes with pop-tarts which are yummy.

Pretty much all chicken meals come with some form of M&Ms

Damn, forgot about the pork rib. You can put it together with the wheat snack bread for a ghetto McRib or mash it up and stir it in along with the clam chowder and cheese spread for a greasy, creamy cheesy delight.

I truly want to strangle the asshole who decided to replace the crackers with aluminum, err, wheat snack bread. And I'm pretty sure that if I open one to discover peanut butter two more times I'll dig my eyes out with that indestructible spoon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Why a spoon? A good portion of the MREs Ive eaten are better served with a fork....why cant the MRE spoon at least be a spork?
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Tuna w/Noodles in the old brown packs was the worst.  Pork and Rice/w BBQ sauce was the best back then.  I haven't had one in ~8 years, so I can't comment on any of the new ones.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Spicy Penne and Beef Ravioli =
Most Others =
Some Others =
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Pork and Rice w/BBQ was my frickin favorite!   Makes me want one now.   I wish I could still get one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I haven't eaten Chicken Ala King since 1988 because of the MRE.  Only in the last 5 years have I been able to suppress the gag reflex when I smell Chicken Ala King.

Ham patty or Escalloped potatoes with Ham were the only ones I could choke down at the end of my service in 94.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I've only ever had two MRE's. One was a cheese ravioli thing and the other was some sort of meatloaf. I don't remember specific names, but both were restaurant quality and very good. I fucked up both of the heater pad things, so I just cheated and nuked it. I guess MRE's take practice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#36]
There was a thread on here a few years back where a guy made a fancy dinner for a chick and used like 4 MREs. Long story shory, she shit her brains out in the middle of the date. That was one of the funniest stories I have ever read.....wish I could find it again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The original brown bag ones, "Corned Beef Hash". More so when cold, since the F'ing heaters came separately.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The original brown bag ones, "Corned Beef Hash". More so when cold, since the F'ing heaters came separately.

Heh, actually I was wondering about the best and worst of the current MREs

But, some of your recollections of your MRE misadventures are pretty funny
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh, actually I was wondering about the best and worst of the current MREs

But, some of your recollections of your MRE misadventures are pretty funny

Every new one is a culinary delight compared to the originals!
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Beef enchilada is the best one, but only if it was made by The Wornick Company. If it was made by SoPakCo or Ameriqual, it is crap.

The worst one by far is the Spicy Penne Pasta (vegetarian).
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Beef enchilada is the best one, but only if it was made by The Wornick Company. If it was made by SoPakCo or Ameriqual, it is crap.

The worst one by far is the Spicy Penne Pasta (vegetarian).

The three I got were from Ameriqual

ETA: and obviously I was pretty hungry at the time.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#42]
The only one I could not handle back in the day was the  Four Fingers of Death Frankfurters. I felt sick every time I ate them. Saying that I loved the Omelet with Ham!
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Chicken w/salsa.

I miss dehydrated fruit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I used to eat them dry.
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#45]
I think I found a couple old brown MRE's in my mom's USMC stuff. (ca. 1987) Should I be worried about puking if I eat one? Or should I just give it to someone I don't like?
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#47]
the wheat bread is fucking awful.
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#48]
1) Chicken Fajita
2) Beef Ravioli
3)Sloppy Joe
4)Spaghetti
5)Tuna in a Bag (Starkist I think)
6)Chili & Beans
7)Pork Rib*
8)Veggie Burger*

!!The worst is the Cheese Omelet nasty not niceness!!

*Pork rib and Veggie Burger are interchangable, as they both taste the same to me.

Does anyone else hate the smell of those god damned heaters.  If I never smell another one, it would be too soon.
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
the wheat bread is fucking awful.

I used to eat it all the time, and one day I just couldn't take it anymore.  I would trade for the crackers (not the vegetable) which are much better.

Have you tried the new chocolate peanut butter?  That shit rocks!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#50]
I've seen three generations of MREs come and go, so I'd have to think hard what some of the earlier ones were. Hands down worst was the omlette.
I miss some of the side stuff more than I miss the main entrees.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top