Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2001 7:55:01 PM EDT
I've already started to post this twice, and both times managed to somehow or other delete it before hitting the submit key. Therefore, I am even more angry at having to type it a third time.

It started as a simple comment on how my crashed hard drive had cost me $275(goodbye, Glock mags) to restore, only to find out that my computer eats hard drives, and killed my new one, with all of the data on it. So, I don't dare put the old one back in either...

SO, now I also have to either restore or recreate all of the data on the new one, one is expensive, the other is anywhere from insanely time consuming(a week of my undivided attention) to impossible.

Also, I now HAVE to purchase a new, high end computer, as this one is dead meat (minus the RAM, CD-RW drive and power supply), bait for 55gr projectiles. Two dead hard drives is at least one too many.

Buying this new computer means kissing my Xbox, my Uzi .45 conversion, my SP1 upper, and my USP UTL goodbye, not to mention that in the meantime, as I have to grab computer time in bits and pieces on other people's computers, including at work, where I will be fired for being caught online; my website, MallNinja.com will languish from innattention, and eventually the hit counter will cease to move, while I try and scrape together the neccesary cash to get myself up and running.

Also, I will have to pay College tuition for the Winter quarter soon, so kiss all of the rest of any cash goodbye...not to mention having to cut back on work to make my grades, meaning less money during school!

Annnnnnnd, I will also have to buy another semi-reliable vehicle ASAP, on my own dime, as the guy who bought the lst one over 6 months ago paid half, and then (evidently) dropped off of the face of the planet...

And, in a poorly planned diplomatic manuver of my own, on the behalf of someone who shall remain unnamed, I now have a full box of ancient, partly worthless collectibles to list on eBay for a %10 fee. Just shoot me now.

Also, I will be attending this year's companywide Christmas Dinner party alone.
Again.
No comment.
Just a brief, horrifying glimpse into my laughable social life outside of work, here, and school, hovering somewhere between "Pariah" and "Non Existant", depending on the week.

And, my sweet little dog Mitzi needs her teeth cleaned, and I have no idea how I'm gonna pay for that, though I have to.

And there is no Mayonnaise in the house, so I can't even make a Tuna sandwich.

I feel like Imbrog|io.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I too have a Hewlett- Packard. You will note that you never mentioned the brand name, but I recognize the frustration all too well. I have 4 drives this year!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, It's always darkest before the dawn.

On the other hand, the light at the end of the tunnel...could be a train.

Bad luck happens in three's so, with 2 hard drives, and college tuition due,  You are good to go.

On the other hand, with dirty doggy teeth, and a bad breakup? You might be on you second set, with one to go.

Good luck dude, hope your situation improves.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't have it so bad, so quit your bitching.  [:D]  You could spend your college life like I did, which was alone, starving, and working three shitty jobs (janitor, microfilm file clerk, and Eckerd Drugs floor clerk).  Not exactly the most glamorous lifestyle.

How exactly is your computer eating hard drives?  My first guess would be that you've got a bad power supply or maybe a hard drive.  At worst, buy a new motherboard and power supply and save your cash.

[Man Talk (tm)]
Man, you bitch and cry as much as SteyerAUG. [}:D]  Butch up, rub some dirt on it, walk it off and quit your crying!  If this is getting you down, you need to get a helmet, because life only gets more complicated once your out in the real world.
[/Man Talk(tm)]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Need some motivation?  [:D]

[img]http://us.st5.yimg.com/store4.yimg.com/I/demotivators_1664_610701[/img]

Or maybe...

[img]http://us.st5.yimg.com/store4.yimg.com/I/demotivators_1664_4832731[/img]

Or perhaps my personal favorite..

[img]http://us.st5.yimg.com/store4.yimg.com/I/demotivators_1664_2233198[/img]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]
 Not to pee on your parade, juggernaut, but here is my DAY..
 Got up this morning to go to a pain clinic, trying to get relief from the neck injury.  Takes all morning to get a 5 minute injection that may or may not work.  Come home to mountain of paperwork for social security, duplicates of previous stuff b/c my former lawyer f&*%* up the case.  Finish that, try to make arrangements for my autistic daughter to visit, and after much beating around the bush, find out that same daughter has claimed that we spanked her the last time she was here.  Now we have to diddle around with Children & Youth, whose personnel are so stupid that they will tqke the word of an admittedly insane child over tow parents who have exhausted themselves trying to find the best place for her treatment...
 Puts in into perspective doesn't it?  And that was just ONE DAY.  man i can hardly wait to see what tomorrow will bring....
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]
A hard lesson that I've seen too many of the uninitiated do is to buy an expensive proprietary piece of junk.  Then when something goes wrong, you have to do what Juggernaut has to.  You basically have to start over.  Juggernaut, make sure whatever you buy uses a standard motherboard, doesn't have a video card built onto the motherboard, doesn't have a built-in winmodem (yuck!), etc..  Another poster mentioned HP.  I recently scrapped one of those for a friend.  The case was worthless, because a standard motherboard wouldn't fit in it.  The motherboard wouldn't fit in a standard case.  The video card and modem were useless, because they were built onto the motherboard.  The power supply was usable after I modified (cut and bent) the supply's case to get it to fit in an ATX case.  The RAM wasn't great, because it was missing a bit per byte (was something by 64 bits rather than by 72).  He had to sell it, because it wouldn't work on his new motherboard.  Basically, he bought an overpriced hard drive and DVD player.z
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You don't have it so bad, so quit your bitching.  You could spend your college life like I did, which was alone, starving, and working three shitty jobs (janitor, microfilm file clerk, and Eckerd Drugs floor clerk).

How exactly is your computer eating hard drives?  My first guess would be that you've got a bad power supply.  At worst, buy a new motherboard and power supply and save your cash.

Man, you bitch and cry as much as SteyerAUG. [}:D]  Butch up, rub some dirt on it, walk it off and quit your crying!

God Bless Texas
View Quote

"Massive Corruption" is the official diag. of Drive Service, and the first went the way of the second today.

I already got a new power supply today, and if it's the power supply that kills drives, then the new one does just as good of a job as the old one. Or, it could be a fault on the motherboard. Or the fact that I bought an Athlon Slot A Processor instead of a Socket TBird. Or maybe's it's an outdated BIOS.

No, gonna start over, this Frankenouter has been Bad JuJu from day 1.

And BOR, breakup? HAH! There has to be some sort of "hookup" before I can actually have the misery of a "breakup". I'm not even lucky enough to have loved and lost. I'm just fortunate enough to have been INTRODUCED and lost. Fun, heh?

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My first guess would be that you've got a bad power supply or maybe a hard drive.  At worst, buy a new motherboard and power supply and save your cash. etc., etc.,..
View Quote

Nail.
Head.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Gee, Thanks, Aviator. Despair.com really has something for everyone, eh?

Paspecops, your day was worse. I admit it.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Should have bought a Mac...
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Should have bought a Mac...
View Quote

[PUKE] Mac

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#14]
If you had any idea where I was at your age, you'd count your blessings and stand tall.

Find the bright side and focus on it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#15]
You don't mention how long ago you bought the "new" drive, but if it's within the warranty period, return it for a replacement.

Get a CD-RW or CD-R drive and make a backup as soon as you get things back together.  Then keep doing that around once a month, or at least after every major change.

Better luck. . . .
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#17]
When it rains, it pours. I like to back up stuff to CDs whenever possable, but when Windows decides to start to have senior moments all the freakin' time my NTI Coaster Maker Pro starts making, well, coasters!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#18]
It ain't easy being you!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Man I hate when that happens.
View Quote

OK, have to admit it now, this made me feel a lot better. I couldn't help laughing.

One new SOYO motherboard, Duron 950 Mhz CPU, Seagate 40 Gb HD and $282 later(plus a pirated power supply), I am actually having a better day, even though nothing else has actually improved...I feel I can deal with it. Forgive my spur of the moment whiney rant... [:I]

Juggernaut

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#20]
For about the last two months, whenever I feel like I'm having a bad day or week, I just consider that no-matter what kind of $h!t is going on in my life...

I have not chosen to jump out of a 110 story window rather than burn to death.

Then my day or week or [I]entire life [/I] doesn't seem so bad.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For about the last two months, whenever I feel like I'm having a bad day or week, I just consider that no-matter what kind of $h!t is going on in my life...

I have not chosen to jump out of a 110 story window rather than burn to death.

Then my day or week or [I]entire life [/I] doesn't seem so bad.
View Quote

Amen to that, brother.  Amen.

God Bless Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top