Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 10:57:14 AM EDT
Dammit Taliban - sight picture, control breathing, and squeeze [b](Don't yank!)[/b] the friggin trigger!!

From Drudge Report:

Geraldo Rivera ducks to avoid sniper shots while taping war report in Afghanistan

Thursday, December 6, 2001
Breaking News Sections  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(12-06) 11:29 PST NEW YORK (AP) --

Fox News Channel correspondent Geraldo Rivera had a close call in Afghanistan on Thursday, ducking to avoid sniper fire that came so close the sound of the bullets was picked up by his crew's microphones, a spokesman said.

"Geraldo said it was close to parting his hair," Fox News Channel spokesman Robert Zimmerman said.

Nobody was hurt in the incident, which took place when Rivera was taping a report on a ridge near Kandahar where American soldiers were killed in a friendly fire incident, Zimmerman said. Rivera believed al-Qaida fighters nearby were in retreat, but someone obviously was close enough to fire a few shots, the spokesman said.

Rivera, who quit his CNBC talk show last month to report on the war for Fox, revealed last week that he was carrying his own gun for protection in Afghanistan, but he didn't return fire.

The network showed tape of the incident Thursday.

Rivera has suggested he would try to kill al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden if they ever met face to face.

· Printer-friendly version
· Email this article to a friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[url]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2001/12/06/entertainment1429EST0691.DTL[/url]

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Rivera could use some friendly fire.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The miserable wretch probably paid someone to shoot "near" him. He has, on every report I have seen, made it look incredibly dangerous to himself.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I think Geraldo took the job at FOX to try to re-establish himself as a legit reporter.  I seriously doubt any shots came near him.  He has been on several times and seems kinda jumpy, but all defensive about whether he's packing and his opinion of the Second Amendment.  Apparently, some of the flak from Laurie (yum yum) Dhue pressuring him to tell if he was carrying and him refusing to say, has gotten back to him.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#5]
the talibs have rifles that are chambered to shoot chairs???
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Rambo Rivera.....Did he still walk around in the middle of a mine field talking about mines in Afghanistan? I got a big laugh out of it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Too bad they missed!

[sniper]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#8]
They probably just dubbed in full auto fire, like the libs do with any firearms related stories....

Besides, we couldn't be THAT lucky.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Was it the Taliban or one of our guys trying to hit him???  Who ever it was needs to be beat for missing!!  I saw Jerkaldo's on air tv response about caring a gun, it was extremely aggravating to me!  The guy is just plain scum, he makes Clinton look a little better!! [puke]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
And any incoming fire is automatically called "Sniper" fire. How does he know that?
That bullet would have just glanced off his hairdo and got tangled in his moo-stasha (mis-spelled for emphasis). [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is the video:

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/video/player.htm?rivera_underfire_120601&Rivera_Under_Fire&wvx-300[/url]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Was it the Taliban or one of our guys trying to hit him???  Who ever it was needs to be beat for missing[puke]
View Quote

Took the words right out of my mouth...
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#13]
What a bunch of bunglers. That big fat head should have been easy to hit, even with an ak.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#14]
[u]Unfortunately it was NOT a near miss[/u], it was a near hit... If it was a near miss, he  would have taken one for the team!  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw the tape on FOX. He is in the desert wearing BLACK. He stand out like a sore thumb. He is truly an idiot. Last night he is supposed to be on the front line. He is reporting in the dead of night with the TV lights on. He is just begging to get killed. Maybe that has been Ailes plan all along. High rating for the "accident" and one less flaming lib reporter.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]
someone needs some range time.....
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Front sight, press. Front sight, press!

Okay. Why would he use the "cover" of a [b]MOUNTAIN TOP[/b] in a supposedly hot area to do his reporting??? Staged for effect? Nah. Couldn't be. This is a professional journalist. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I know a lot of people bolo at Army ranges - I've seen it a lot - but can it be that bad?!

Hell, the Taliban probably LOVE Geraldo - avid viewers on contraband TV's or some sh##. But Americans over there?....Doubt it..highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#20]
It is obvious that our military wasn't shooting at him. Had they been, Gerry Rivers' brains would have been splattered all over Afghanistan's plains, and on live TV, to boot- HOO! what a thought!

Good for ratings, too........ :^O
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Did anyone see the first hour of Fox and Friends this morning?

Geraldo was doing a report while some Afghans in the background were playing with a newly captured antiaircraft unit in the back of a truck.

They were playing around some. Then someone has a belt. They fiddle around some more. All this time our fearless reporter is blathering about something.

Then a bright flash...booom!!! One shot. [:D]

"Wow!!!" he says in midsentence. hehehe [8D]

Crap, it was aimed at the ridge behind Geraldo. So he's standing behind of instead of in front off it. Rats.

Then the soldiers go back to dinking around.

While the "great one" is babbling on they let loose a burst. Then another...and another...and a third.

What fun. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Just proves that Kalashnikovs aren't as accurate as our evil black rifles.

Remember; Breathe, Relax, Aim, Squeeze trigger Slowly.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw it live and was wondering what would happen if I saw his head turn into a pink mist. I probably would have let out a chuckling "Holy shit!" but then I'd feel sorry for his familiy, so the humor would only last a few seconds.

Now that you guys mention it, I think it's a strong possibility that he arranged someone to shoot over his head. I've also noticed how he always tries to catch a "dramatic" angle and how he seems to be directing this whole thing. "Here..... I'll get on this camel and you stand by this tank, and you crouch low and film me while I ride by and tell my story......"  etc... etc....
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I saw the tape on FOX. He is in the desert wearing BLACK. He stand out like a sore thumb. He is truly an idiot.
View Quote

Definitely an idiot.  When people are shooting at you, MOVE!!!  Crouching so that you are 4' high instead of 6' doesn't help very much.  As for the black, he has to look cool.  Would probably even wear black in an artic situation.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#25]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20011206/capt.1007680289attacks_rivera_nyr112.jpg[/img]
This image taken from television and released in New York shows Fox News Channel correspondent Geraldo Rivera in Afghanistan on Thursday, Dec. 6, 2001. Rivera was taping a report on a ridge near Jalalabad when he was fired upon by a sniper. A Fox spokesperson said that the sound of bullets was picked up by his crew's microphone. (AP Photos/Fox News Network)
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#27]
(Snaps fingers disapointedly, turns, and walks away.)
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#28]
This guy is constantly running his dickholster non stop. Too bad somebody missed with that shot!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Next time don't report until he has coins in his eyes.[xx(]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#30]
All I can say is Damn, Damn, DAMN!

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Geraldo Rivera?  Oh, you must mean Jerry Rivers!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Way back I had already lost all respect for Gerry Geraldo when the Great Patriotic Drug War was in its first infant steps.

Being the great scumbag that he is, you will recall that he started his great illustrious career by doing shocking ride-alongs with cops and such.
In one scene, as the S.W.A.T. has just "exploded" into a house in search of a 'drug dealer' and Gerry G. is right there with cameras hounding a terrified mother huddling with her kids.

Gerry G. demands of the mother, "Do YOU know what you're doing to your kids?!"
Sickening.

All just a good day's work for Gerry Geraldo I suppose. The guy is unscrupulous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top