Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 8:25:55 AM EDT
Lastly I knew the brit SAS switched from Colt M4/M16s to Diemaco C7s due their superior craftmanship,materials and reliability,do you know if really the C7S are better than the ARS ?
PP out
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#1]
They are not any better.
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a guy on the Hard Core Talk board who goes by "Garand." He claims to be in the Canadian army and all he ever does is bitch about the C7.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The C7's are AR clones and are built to the same exact specs and materials as the American M-4/16's. The only thing that could be different might be quality control. Since they charge up the ass for the C7's, maybe they reject more slightly out of spec rifles than American companies do.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I think that they have done it only because Canad is a commonwealth country. They made that abomination of the sa80 only because of national pride.

This is something similar I suspect. Pinco is that Delta Body Armor in your icon picture?

Thanks

Ariel
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The C7 is not better than the M16 in terms of quality/craftsmanship, but it is a better configuration than any of the US military 20" M16s.  IMO, of course.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I cant think of a difference between the C7's the Royal Marines were shown training with in Oman and our A2's.

However the SAS got C8's and there might be a difference there.  [url]www.diemaco.com[/url] lists several of their carbine models coming with 16.1in barrels. That may have been a selection point in the case of the carbines- then they bought the long rifles there too to avoid having two suppliers.

Its a interesting thing the barrel lengths on some of the Diemaco carbines. Canada doesnt have a barrel length restriction like the US, and Diemaco is barred from selling in the US.  They must think they see a actual difference in the 16in barrel that makes it worth while.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I cant think of a difference between the C7's the Royal Marines were shown training with in Oman and our A2's.

However the SAS got C8's and there might be a difference there.  [url]www.diemaco.com[/url] lists several of their carbine models coming with 16.1in barrels. That may have been a selection point in the case of the carbines- then they bought the long rifles there too to avoid having two suppliers.

Its a interesting thing the barrel lengths on some of the Diemaco carbines. Canada doesnt have a barrel length restriction like the US, and Diemaco is barred from selling in the US.  They must think they see a actual difference in the 16in barrel that makes it worth while.
View Quote

As many know, the best quality weapon is not always chosen, maybe Diemaco just made a better offer than Colt.

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
"Lastly I knew the brit SAS switched from Colt M4/M16s to Diemaco C7s due their superior craftmanship,materials and reliability"

pinco...good to see you over here, too!

the brits switched to align themselves with a commonwealth (the sun never sets on the empire, old boy!) supplier. it's pure politics, as the diemaco costs them significantly more money.

the quality, give or take a small amount, is about equall.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I understand the Brit's got a package deal on the C7's that included magazines, spare parts, cleaning kits, service, yadda, yadda, yadda, that made it a good deal. The pricing arrangements makes it hard to do a apples vs apples comparison.

Is the C7 "better"? Its a very good package, I think they just liked that particular configuration better than the previous.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#11]
And a good chunk of the British AR fleet was ANCIENT- some of them were approaching 40.  Some probably got new uppers for ODS but those were still some pretty old guns.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont know if its been published specificaly which model carbine the British bought in addition to the C7's. But here is the page from the Catalogue [url]http://www.diemaco.com/sal-Special%20Forces%20Weapon.htm[/url]

Canada might not have been able to afford this type yet for its own troops, but Diemaco does offer it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Hi CampyBob,
nice to meet you here too !
I see we are almost in the same forums,is not it ?

Thanx to everybody for yr replies,appreciated.

PP out
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Boland, about the barrel lenghts, i have always thought all C8 carbines were 14.5". But look at these pictures, doesn´t the barrels on the SFW and SFSW look a little longer than on the C8FTHB, the additional length is said in the specs.

[b]C8FTHB[/b]
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-c8fthb.gif[/img]

[b]C8SFW[/b]
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-sfw.gif[/img]

[b]C8SFSW[/b]
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-sfsw.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The C7's are AR clones and are built to the same exact specs and materials as the American M-4/16's.
View Quote

The Canucks have taken the M16 family and put togather an excellent rifle.

Select fire
A2 brl
A1 Sights
Brass deflector
Shorter A1 stock

End result is a shorter, lighter, more durable and more grunt proof rifle than the M16A3.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except the rear sight, the stock, and the trigger group.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

[b]C8SFW[/b]
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-sfw.gif[/img]

[b]C8SFSW[/b]
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-sfsw.gif[/img]
View Quote

I want the detachable sight shown in the top pic and the SAW carry handle shown in the bottum pic!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top