Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2001 12:54:03 PM EDT
[img]gateway.hornady.com/pix/17HMR_PACKAGE.jpg[/img]

Heh, this looks pretty neat...worth a look into.  Puts a .17 caliber bullet in flight at 2550 fps.  Ruger and Marlin will be offering guns in 2002, I believe.

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out this link for a picture:

[url]gateway.hornady.com/web_store.cgi?page=storehome.html&cart_id=[/url]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Lets try this:

[img]gateway.hornady.com/pix/17HMR_PACKAGE.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Motherf*cker!!!

Try this link:

[url]gateway.hornady.com/web_store.cgi?page=newprods.html&cart_id=1011205.155557[/url]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
didnt get to see the pic..I wonder how it will compete with 22LR at $0.97 a box of fifty and good accuarcy at close range for small targetts.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]
G*DD*MN!

Okay...here's the deal:  Visit [url]www.hornady.com[/url].  Click on "Products" on the left side.  Then click on "New Products" on the next page.  There is the damn picture on the new product page.  Or just go find a picture somewhere else for all I care.  Screw it.

If you havn't clicked on the two above links yet:  DON'T.  They say "Forbidden", or some crap.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting! But remember the 5mm Remington magnum?[:)]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
didnt get to see the pic..I wonder how it will compete with 22LR at $0.97 a box of fifty and good accuarcy at close range for small targetts.
View Quote

It is a 22 Magnum case, those are usually about $6 a box of 50 or so.  Hornady had them listed at $12 a box, but thats retail, so I am guessing you will see them around $8 or so...
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Why this caliber ??  Not being a "smart *ss just asking a real question.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
[b]Rejoice, t's a midical!!!![/b]
[img]https://gateway.hornady.com/pix/17HMR_PACKAGE.jpg[/img]

Almost, copy this link in a new page
https://gateway.hornady.com/pix/17HMR_PACKAGE.jpg
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#10]
[url]https://gateway.hornady.com/pix/17HMR_PACKAGE.jpg[/url]

Looks cool, but is going to be expensive, for a rimfire anyway.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh, no!  Here we go again!

B27 is right.  This reminds me of the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum fiasco.  Remington came out with the 5mm magnum, and sold a lot of rifles (well, a few rifles, anyway) to the believers.  When sales didn't meet expectations, Remington discontinued the ammunition, leaving a lot of shooters with a rifle that they couldn't buy ammunition for.  Despite the fact that Remington continues to make other ammunition, they apparently gave no consideration to their customers who had bought rifles from them.  

The last time I heard about 5mm Remington, it was going $100 per box of 50 to the "collectors" at gun shows.

Why should we believe that Hornady will be any more loyal to its customers, and won't dump the ammunition if it doesn't generate huge sales?  Certainly they have no legal or moral obligation to produce the ammunition for any specific time, but I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig for this new cartridge.

If Hornady wants to serve an existing market, it could demonstrate that by making a run of 5mm Remington ammunition for those unfortunate souls who have a 5mm rifle and haven't already had it rebarreled to .22 Winchester Mag.

By the way, this (.17) cartridge isn't all that new.  I saw an example about 15 years ago at Seivert's gun shop in Pueblo, Colorado.  The dimensions may have been slightly different, and they called it the .17 Seivert.  But it was a .22 Win. Mag. necked down to .17, with a .17 cal bullet.  I don't think it was ever commercially produced.

Some shooters rescued their 5mm Remington rifles by having the bolt fitted with a centerfire firing pin and loading a centerfire (reloadable) cartridge called the 5mm Craig.  The two reports I have read about that said that the cases were too expensive, and the cartridge was not sufficiently accurate.  So those shooters, too, were finally left with rebarreling their rifles to .22 Win. Mag.

I don't expect to ever buy a firearm in this caliber.  However, if it sells in the expected quantities, I might lay in a stock of the ammunition as a speculative investment for the day when the ammunition is discontinued!  No, No!  That was a joke!  Don't take it seriously!

Well, on second thought, . . .
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Betamax is superior to VHS, but finnicky consumers  made a choice....  Consumers chose the 22 mag. over the 5mm not because it was better.  My father still squirrel hunts with his 5mm.  With it, he can make clean shots to 125 yards yet it is far less damaging to meat at 25 yds. than even CCI mini mags.  I would love to have a .17 rimfire. I would buy it in a second along with all of the ammo I could afford.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
must buy lost of 17 hornady ammo to sell at fun shows years later for 100 bucks a box!
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
kindstranger,thanks for your additional comments about the 5mm Remington.  Does your Dad still shoot squirrels with his 5mm, even with the cost up to $2 a pop?

I have problems with any rimfire (current production) going for $12 for a box of 50.  For that price, you can buy any number of centerfire cartridges.  And if your gun is ever orphaned by the ammo manufacturers, you can either reload those cases yourself, or have them reloaded at a reasonable price.  Rimfires are reloadable, but not at a reasonable price.

For those who really like the .17 calibers, many of them were formerly available.  I believe Thompson/Center chambered Contender barrels in eight different .17 centerfire cartridges over the years.  The only .17 carbine barrel for the Contender that I know of is the .17 Remington, and that may be a lot more power than someone looking at the .17 Hornady wants.  The smaller of those eight (such as the .17 Hornet, .17 K-Hornet, or .17 BumbleBee) would be ideal or a .17 caliber rifle in the .17 Hornady class.  Ammunition could duplicate (or exceed) the performance of the new rimire round, and should be no more than $12 a box of 50. The shooter could save his brass in case the ammo manufacturer decides to orphan his caliber.

If I'm going to take a chance on a new cartridge, it has to be centerfire, and not made by Remington.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Heh, I didn't think there were  a lot of hard feelings towards .17 caliber bullets...wouldn't have posted the thread. [:)]

Anyhoo; the only reason I brought it up was for novelty value.  I think it's slightly novel...don't you?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like American Ingenuity has come up with a small-caliber, hypervelocity cartridge to rival the fiendish wimpiness of Europe's five-seven ammo.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
kindstranger,thanks for your additional comments about the 5mm Remington.  Does your Dad still shoot squirrels with his 5mm, even with the cost up to $2 a pop?

I have problems with any rimfire (current production) going for $12 for a box of 50.  For that price, you can buy any number of centerfire cartridges.  And if your gun is ever orphaned by the ammo manufacturers, you can either reload those cases yourself, or have them reloaded at a reasonable price.  Rimfires are reloadable, but not at a reasonable price.

For those who really like the .17 calibers, many of them were formerly available.  I believe Thompson/Center chambered Contender barrels in eight different .17 centerfire cartridges over the years.  The only .17 carbine barrel for the Contender that I know of is the .17 Remington, and that may be a lot more power than someone looking at the .17 Hornady wants.  The smaller of those eight (such as the .17 Hornet, .17 K-Hornet, or .17 BumbleBee) would be ideal or a .17 caliber rifle in the .17 Hornady class.  Ammunition could duplicate (or exceed) the performance of the new rimire round, and should be no more than $12 a box of 50. The shooter could save his brass in case the ammo manufacturer decides to orphan his caliber.

If I'm going to take a chance on a new cartridge, it has to be centerfire, and not made by Remington.
View Quote

To answer your question, my dad has about 350 rounds left and he wants to spend them wisely...  Big smile and clean kill.  He was very interested to hear about the .17 Hornady offering...
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Betamax is superior to VHS, but finnicky consumers  made a choice....  Consumers chose the 22 mag. over the 5mm not because it was better.  My father still squirrel hunts with his 5mm.  With it, he can make clean shots to 125 yards yet it is far less damaging to meat at 25 yds. than even CCI mini mags.  I would love to have a .17 rimfire. I would buy it in a second along with all of the ammo I could afford.
View Quote

I heard they are advertising it for its ballistic properties, explosive fragmentation, etc., which would mean there wouldn't be any meat left to eat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#24]
ANYTHING you guys want to know about the 17HMR, you can find out First hand from people who use this caliber Daily. go to www.varminthunters.com

any negative thoughts and questions on this caliber can be answered at the above website.

the caliber actually isnt that destrucive on meat, but its mostly a Varmint caliber meaning "you aint gonna eat the dern thing anyway". the varmint hunter guys have gone ape shit over this new caliber and swear by it, with 5-6 gun makers coming out with guns in this caliber it probably isnt going anywhere anytime soon. Taurus has it in a revolver, volquartsen sells it on a 10/22mag gun or sells just the barrel for You to swap. i disagree with it taking yotes at 250 yards, but it has taken yotes under 100 (but IMO there are better and more suitable yote calibers).
the caliber fills the niche between 22mag and 22hornet or 17rem.

low noise, zero richochet, great accuracy, high speed low, and with most of the major gun makers scrambling to bring guns out in this caliber it should be around for a long time.
the only thing hurting it is the cost, $10 a box of 50, but that is with the V-max bullet.
most likely other ammo makers will bring out FMJ and HP ammo at a lower cost.

this is NOT a plinking round, its a serious varmint caliber, so for the varmint hunters paying $10 a box isnt too bad.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Very interesting! But remember the 5mm Remington magnum?[:)]
View Quote

Yeah,  I have one.  I don't have any ammo for it.  I heard Old Western Scrounger was going to tool up for these, but haven't heard anything since.  It was my fathers he bought it in 1970 I think.

And the 5mm mag obviously flopped big time because 15 yrs ago Remington didn't even have the dies to make the ammunition anymore.  Bummer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:18:29 AM EDT
[#26]
The 17cal has been out on the market from about the first of the year. I'm on 3 different waiting lists to get one . Very hard to get one they sell faster than they can put them on the shelves. They are A 22mag. necked  down to A 17cal.
Red
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Savage has already brought out a Striker bolt-action magazine-fed pistol.  One of the guys that shoot silhouette at my range brought his out.  Damned accurate, and it hits pretty hard for a 17 grain .17 caliber bullet.  We'll see, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I think this will be an excellent varmint/target round.   The problem with the 5mm Remington was probably their lack of commitment, and the lack of advertising.  Nowadays, word on the 'net gets spread around, so Hornady won't have to do a ton of advertising... they'll let the people do it for them!  

I have seen one of these rifles when I was at the range.  A local Wendy's employee had purchased one.  It looked like a kid's rifle, a bit small all around, but looked good.  Didn't get to hang around to see how it shot, tho.

I figure when I have some money to blow, I'll get a nice bolt gun in .17HRM.  I've been wanting a real accurate rimfire bolt gun anyway.  

I wonder if they'd let you use it in Rimfire Silhouette matches??

M@
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#30]
That new caliber seems pretty cool to me!

I like it!

Eric
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#31]
-The easiest way to get one is to take your old 77/22 and rebarrel it with a drop in from Green Mountain...Green mountain latest shippment of fluted stainless heavy drop ins is at the laser engraver now expected any day now..talk to Ken at White Mountain...real good guy

-This cartridge is underpowerd for Coyote sized varmints but works well on fox sized and below...

-As for ammo..Hornady is working overtime..put in new machinery its the hottest seller going..they cant keep up..
-Marlin seems the most popular offering at the time...with a couple versions of the bolt action

-Ruger is coming out with heavy barreled bolt action late Aug early Sept
Anschutz has a rifle out right now..

-Volquartsen has a 10/17 mag out...the problem being worked on is case bulging in the auto loader which is why Ruger has come out with the 10/22 mag in .17 ..look for this problem to be worked out shortly and drop in bolts and barrels available as replacements soon

-Rumored that CCI is coming out with ammo soon to meet the demand Hornady cant keep up with ...rumored...

-the 17 bullet has a polymer nose and pretty much disintegrates on impact...got mine sittin right here..waiting on the next grackle and my ammo -shipment which is two weeks overdo...

-Look for some fantastic target results from this round...get yourself a big scope..
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I have 500 rounds of the stuff, also been waiting for a NEF for months. Good news, dealers are receiving them, I was told that I should have mine in Aug. Well have to see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top