Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2001 12:24:13 PM EDT
What's your take on politicians who literally grow ancient while in office? As far as I'm concerned a 99 year old politician should have retired LONG ago. Yeah, he's in office because he gets elected to office, I realize this but someone who's 99 years old just isn't in touch with modern concerns. It's like old people who drive like shit, but have no ability to see that for themselves and continue to drive despite the hazzard they pose. I simply would never feel fully represented by someone who's that damn old. Hang it up Strom, and let the next generation have a seat. No flame for all you Strom fans, but the guy was an old fart 20 years ago.

[i]Sen. Thurmond Celebrates 99th Birthday

Updated: Wed, Dec 05 3:55 PM EST
By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) - Sen. Strom Thurmond began his 100th year flirting with his female colleagues Wednesday.

"I love all of you men, but you women even more!" he declared by way of a thank-you, after Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D., offered congratulations from the well of the chamber.

Those present erupted in laughter as Thurmond's wife, Nancy, grinned from the gallery. The two have been separated for a decade but have remained on friendly terms.

Thurmond, the Senate's oldest and longest-serving member and perhaps its most famous flirt, turned 99 on Wednesday and plans to retire to his home in South Carolina after his eighth term expires in January 2003......[/i]

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I think career polticians don't have a clue about the average person or family.  They lose site of what they were elected for. Representing the people and not their own interest.  Most career polticians are just interested in feeding the bureacracy as this adds to their power and that is what they are truly interested in.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
12 years and they are OUT. Forever. Can NEVER return to hold office in the same political unit.

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
12 years and they are OUT. Forever. Can NEVER return to hold office in the same political unit.

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The job of the elected official is not to do what is right, what is best for the electorate, what is moral, just, and good.  It is to get re-elected.  The power structure of the party system is configured to ensure that those who get elected are controllable.  If you aren't controllable, you can't get re-elected.

The problem is, the electorate doesn't give a damn - and the party system likes it that way.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think career polticians don't have a clue about the average person or family.  They lose site of what they were elected for. Representing the people and not their own interest.  Most career polticians are just interested in feeding the bureacracy as this adds to their power and that is what they are truly interested in.
View Quote

Exactly my feelings.

Quoted:
View Quote

Again, I completely agree. Anything wrong with having a mandatory retirement age for our elected officials? Nothing unreasonable, but nowhere near 99....that's for damn sure.

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Career Politicians......Hang'em all![;D]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
We don't need politicians period....now "Statesmen" or actual leaders (i.e. Representatives) might be nice (wishful thinking perhaps) but a true "politician" should never hold office. I don't believe in terms limits because if most Americans would wake up...hell, if most Americans would VOTE...scumbags would ever get reelected.

[Soapbox Off]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Generally speaking, I don't like the idea of career politicians, but in this case it isn't so bad.  Strom is a good guy, and he is still sharp.  The last time I saw him, he talked to probably two-hundred people, including me, then about an hour later when I was on my way out, he stopped me to ask me a question about something I had asked him.  He still puts many of the younger politicians, that I've met, to shame.z
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The term Career Politician should be an Indictable Felony.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top