Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2001 12:23:30 PM EDT
Greetings People,

I have been shooting pistols for years.  A few months ago I wanted to try rife shooting, so I did some research and decided an AR-15 would meet my needs.  I was eventually directed to this web-board where I lurked for several months, getting tips, info, and questions answered.  Man!…there is a wealth of knowledge/opinions to be found by using the search function here.

When I was ready, I purchased a NIB Bushmaster Shorty.  It cost $775.00 before taxes and background check charges.  I also bought several Orlite 30 rd. mags.  I have to wait until the next gun show for get some USGI mags.  I also bought about 800 rds. of UMC .223 ammo to ‘break the rifle in’.  

Unfortunately, where I live, the only place to shoot a rifle whenever I want only has a 25-yard indoor range.  I set up there and ‘zeroed’ the sights as per the Bushmaster manual.  I know I was a couple of yards short, but…

I wasn’t used to the trigger, so groups for the first 40 rounds or so were wide and spread.  As I became more accustomed to the feel of the rifle and the sights, I was eventually shooting 1-2-inch groups at 25 yards with the stock sights.  

I was not shooting rapidly but in a short time I burned up all of the ammo I brought.  Man was that barrel hot!  It didn’t cool down until I got home about 30 minutes later.   No jams or malfunctions at all.  The only things that bothered me was some spent brass that somehow got down my shirt.  Also, as I am a left-handed shooter, the safety lever in the ‘fire’ position annoyed my left hand.  Do smaller levers exist?

I look forward to shooting again.  Great rifle.  However, one question for those who have read this far.  What is the correct sight picture for the stock sights?  How is the best way to line up the front sight (post) and the rear sight (peep hole)?

Thanks to all for your unknowing help over these past months.

Arty Z

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]old.ar15.com/books/[/url]

Under Downloads: FM23-9 pg 34..someone has a pic of the proper sight picture.  I can't find it right now, but it's in that book.

There is another Zeroing in system called The Improved Battle Zero, but you need a 50 yard target.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Where in FL?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Where in FL?
View Quote

West Palm Beach.  I usually shoot at Gator Guns on Military Trail and Okeechobee Blvd.

Z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top