Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2001 8:42:25 AM EDT
A positive article about children and guns, from PMSNBC, and not a peep from the ants.  Okay, so it's from Wall Street Journal, but still...

[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/667762.asp[/url]

I think I will go out and get me a .22, too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Say it ain't so !!
I don't like to be confused about who is my enemy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Why all the crap about trigger locks and vaults and such?  Either we teach our kids right and trust them, or we don't.

My folks never kept their guns under lock and key.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I think MSNBC must have gotten confused, guns are BAD, remember?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Lock stuff could be the result of a local law.  I know around me guns must be locked and ammo must be stored separetly from the guns if children (under 16y/o) can gain access to them.  I'm not sure why this guy would be putting trigger locks on guns that are in a vault.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Make sure to hit the poll that is on that page. We are winning but we can do better than 79%
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Zebras don't change their stripes. What's the catch or gimmick?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Two things:  One, all "news" outlets follow trends, and right now the trend is "guns aren't [i]completely [/i]bad".  (This will change again as soon as they can manage it).  Two, even in far left-wing journalism, there are still a few middle-of-the-road and even conservative voices.  Occasionally, they get to say something.  But only occasionally.

P.S.:  If you'll notice, the MSNBC piece is a reprint of a (decidedly pro-gun) Wall Street Journal article.  No one at MSNBC actually soiled themselves by [i]writing[/i] it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a new book out "Bias" (I think) by Bernard Goldberg.  Saw him interviewed last night on Fox.
Anyway per Mr. Goldberg the left-wing media is "hemorrhaging viewers."
These folks may be jerks and clowns but they all deeply care about the dollar.  Maybe the word's getting around ?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#10]
You know what's behind this sudden shift in media bias away from liberalism?

MONEY!

Fox News is blowing CNN, MSNBC, and the networks out of the water in the ratings game.  Hmmmm, I wonder why?  Could it be that half the country has been alienated by the extreme bias of the liberal media?  One outfit went for a deliberate conservative bias, and it captured a huge, ignored audience.

Factor in this recession and companies' plummetting ad expenditures.  News companies are fighting tooth and nail for that revenue, and they'll do anything to get a piece of it.  Witness Geraldo(!) going over to Fox, and MSNBC running almost pro gun articles.  A few months ago, CNN came out and said it was going to cover more stories from the conservative point of view.  You should have read the howling on democraticunderground.com!  And did you read that article in the WASHINGTON POST lauding praise upon the AK-47?  Sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#11]
It gets a little pointless arguing this trigger lock and gun safe crap.  

They were virtually non-existent when my Grandfather got his first rifle, and equally so when he taught my Dad love and respect for firearms at an early age.  By the time I was old enough to shoot, my Dad helped me learn.  I even got my own rifle when I was 8.

There was never any need for trigger locks or safes in our house because of the way we were raised.  We were taught obedience and respect for our elders from a young age.  This translated to asking permission to shoot even while I had unlimited access to firearms.

This won't work for everyone, but if you can't teach simple things to kids like gun safety, then how do you expect them to be responsible adults?

Trigger locks are new because there are millions of parents trying new ways to raise their kids.  These new methods are failing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top