Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2008 7:25:14 PM EDT
So i have to do this lame ass senior project in order to graduate (not sure if you guys know about this or not) and it is a written project (14pages total min) with an oral speech and presentation. It is intended to be on something that you enjoy doing or are interested in, so i figured why not reloading? What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that if you are in a metro area you should do it, but completley screw up the procedure/technical information just to see if you can
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a great idea!  Treat it as a science project.  Get a chronograph and record velocities with different amounts of the same powder.  Demonstrate your understanding of the statistical concept of "standard deviation."  Illustrate with charts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol, Im in a rural area, but none of my teachers would know any different  

But thanks for the support, and i could go many different ways with the project considering the vast areas of realoding
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two words, zero tolerance!

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

He should do it anyways.

It is something he enjoys doing...aint it
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not just do it on shooting in general?  You can teach stances, gun types, etc.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]
i think you should do it, give videos of you shooting different powder loads and at the end have a field trip to your range to give hands on learning.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why not just do it on shooting in general?  You can teach stances, gun types, etc.

I thought about doing that too, but i dont know if that would be all hunky dory with the school, im hoping they let me do it on reloading But i guess ill find out monday lol..
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i think you should do it, give videos of you shooting different powder loads and at the end have a field trip to your range to give hands on learning.

You think i should do it on the results of it? Or the actual proccesses of reloading and all the steps, or i could be an over achiever and do it on both
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you planning on presenting in video form?  If not, how do you plan to pull it off without getting expelled?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, to do the presention we are required to have 3 "judges" any 3 teachers that will agree to sit through your lame ass presentation, and you can do it where ever you want to, as long as the teachers agree to go there. People have done it on sheep shearing out in there corral, or auto maint at their house ( yes i live in a small town ) So ill have to see what my english teacher thinks about it
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Howa bout showing them the theory of sheepels and anti gunners vs gun supporters and why the 2nd is so important? FTMFW!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Lol.. Important but Boreing............ rememeber "subject you enjoy"
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think i should do it on the results of it? Or the actual proccesses of reloading and all the steps, or i could be an over achiever and do it on both

this.

mabe you can show  them from step zero, a empty brass case to a hole in the target showing them everything in between. i have a feeling though that you wont have alot of people interested in firearms in your class and the subject will be boring to most of your classmates.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#16]
they would prob put you under investigation...  and break into your house and arrest you n such...
jk, got for it!
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well, to do the presention we are required to have 3 "judges" any 3 teachers that will agree to sit through your lame ass presentation, and you can do it where ever you want to, as long as the teachers agree to go there. People have done it on sheep shearing out in there corral, or auto maint at their house ( yes i live in a small town ) So ill have to see what my english teacher thinks about it

If you have any background in physics and can give a good presentation on internal ballistics, your handloading demonstration might not be a terrible idea.

If, however, you just trim a piece of brass, set a primer, dump a charge, seat a bullet, and call it a day, I think you will have failed.  Particularly if you can't explain why you're doing what you're doing, beyond mechanically following the steps laid out in your reloading manual.

I don't know you, I suspect this is a bad choice for a high school student.  If you decide to go ahead with it, be sure to vet it with your teacher before proceeding.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1

I got red flagged at my HS because I had this signature:

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't...

I forgot to disable it and the teacher wasn't impressed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this.

mabe you can show  them from step zero, a empty brass case to a hole in the target showing them everything in between. i have a feeling though that you wont have alot of people interested in firearms in your class and the subject will be boring to most of your classmates.

Thats what i intended to do it on, and if they let me i will, but actually there's quite a few people at my school that hunt and shoot, and a few more that i have got the shooting bug because i have taken them out shooting, and of course taught them proper shooting techniques and saftey. If anyone has a question about guns or shooting, they usually turn to me, and most of the time i know the answer or at least where to find it
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have any background in physics and can give a good presentation on internal ballistics, your handloading demonstration might not be a terrible idea.

If, however, you just trim a piece of brass, set a primer, dump a charge, seat a bullet, and call it a day, I think you will have failed.  Particularly if you can't explain why you're doing what you're doing, beyond mechanically following the steps laid out in your reloading manual.

I don't know you, I suspect this is a bad choice for a high school student.  If you decide to go ahead with it, be sure to vet it with your teacher before proceeding.

Well i can tell you i know enough about reloading to do a presentation on it, especially for the teachers at my school, i could pretty much tell them anything i wanted on the subject and they wouldnt second guess it, not saying im going to make things up lol..

But thanks guys for all the support, i just came up with this idea tonight, and before tonight i had no idea what i was going to do it on, oh and btw this project pretty much determines on weather you graduate or not
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top