Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2008 9:35:12 AM EDT
There's an Indian convenience store guy that's pretty much one of us. He's a good guy, got his citizenship and all that, but for the life of me I can't pronounce his name, so I started calling him 'Flaherty'.

I've been doing this for a month or so.

Yesterday when I walked in, he scowled at me and said that other people were starting to call him that.

I laughed. "Should gone through Ellis Island," I replied. "They used to take your hard to pronounce name and change it."

His brows furrowed. "They did?"

"Yup."

"Huh," he mused.

"You know where Clancy got his name?"

"Probably from you," he answered.

"Yup,"

"Why did you start calling Clancy Clancy," he asked. He acted like he was treading on shaky ground.

"Ask D'Angelo," I answered.

I paid for my paper, grinned at him and left.

Today I stopped in to grab a quick cuppa joe, and Flaherty looked at me and grinned.

"I saw D'Angelo later that afternoon, he told me. Thank you." He looked like he was ready to either cry or kiss me.

Betcha the name sticks.

Clancy's did.

Maybe later I'll tell you about Clancy getting his name. Clancy sure earned his.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait wut?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
wtf?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh hai.  lol wut?  i can haz ecksplunashun?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Great story!  Love the moral of it.  The characters play off each other well.

Just one thing, next time don't let George Lucas write it for you, it loses something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top