Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2008 4:52:08 AM EDT
Just got one of the latest gun rags.  71% of the pages contain advertising, many of them full-page ads.  Same with golf magazines, etc.  I'm not against a publisher making money, but these guns magazines resemble catalogs more & more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Not to mention the reviews are just advertisements.

They never say a bad thing about any gun they've tested.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just got one of the latest gun rags.  71% of the pages contain advertising, many of them full-page ads.  Same with golf magazines, etc.  I'm not against a publisher making money, but these guns magazines resemble catalogs more & more.

Believe it or not, gun mags are relatively minor offenders compared to other industry magazines.  Try paging through your wife's fashion magazine, or one at the bookstore when no one's looking.  Those are about 90% full page advertisements.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

One time, ONE time I saw an honest review (and I think it's probably because Gabe Saurez and the author must have gotten in a pissing contest) about a gun or firearms course.

The author trashed a Gabe Suarez firearms course and the trainer as completely unsafe and incompetent.  He backed it up with several examples.  I've read some background on Suarez's history and I'm not too impressed.

Other than that you're right, never seen them trash a firearm.  Even American Rifleman gave the Kel Tec P3AT a good review. I have one and know how prone to failures it is.

EDIT: I forgot to mention shooting times is chock full of good info.  Even though their gun reviews are just like everyone else's they have other great info that is worth it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:06:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Really ain't that a bitch?  That's why I read, but don't trust reviews.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Depends on which ones you read, IMO. I've read bad reviews in American Handgunner as well as American Rifleman. Both were somewhat polite in their wording, however.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Ain't that the truth.  A recent "major" gun rag review of the Ruger LCP failed to state any improvements over or even mention the Kel-Tec version.  It might as well be phoned in from MS-NBC.    
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Even "Swat" seems to fall into the pattern of a glowing article on a particular product, and - surprise! - there is a full page ad for the same thing prominently positioned near the front of the magazine.  

The last bastion of what I thought was some kind of credibility, Small Arms Review, has a section called something like "New Products" that are simply press releases from the manufacturers.

If I see the word "ultimate" used again in one of these rags, I'll scream. I really don't know why I bother reading any of them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I really don't know why I bother reading any of them.

I won't pay for them, thats for sure.
Theres no need whatsoever to pay for spam.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Even ad-free mags like Gun Tests  (http://www.gun-tests.com/) are not all that informative--though they are fun to read.
They'll go over one gun carefully, but since it is one out of a run of God knows how many thousands, who knows whether they got an "average' gun.  Even they admit that.
Therefore, one year they'll say that a gun they checked was great and another year they'll come to a different conclusion with the exact same gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I paid $60 for my high school yearbook in 04, plus a $10 color photo fee because I was a senior...got the book, there were full pages of ads for hot tubs and mortgage brokers and the like...I was pissed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I read Police Magazine.  It has gun reviews/tests along with updates on case law and other neat information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top