BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2008 11:39:43 PM EDT
Noteburner

Creates a virtual CD drive
You 'burn' your itunes in CD Audio format to it
It converts them to standard MP3s with no DRM
The MP3s are saved to a directory of your choice

Disclaimer: the above information is provided for entertainment purposes only.  I do not recommend actually doing it.  After all, why would you want a generic MP3 of something you paid for?  You'd actually be able to transfer and play it on ANY MP3 player.  There's obviously no point in that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Slick!

So, how long until Apple's lawyers sue the company that makes Noteburner out of existence?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:49:48 AM EDT
[#2]
God Bless Them!  I've been looking to back up my i-Tunes on MP3 for a while.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that Apple's whole hippie counter-cultural image is entirely fake.  They totally side with the large media corporations and against the end item users of their products.

The only thing worse than a real hippie is a fake money-grubbing hippie.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#3]
why not just buy DRM free MP3s to start with? www.amazon.com/MP3-Music-Download/b?ie=UTF8&node=163856011
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Or you could just burn them to a audio CD (I would use a CD-RW) then rip the CD to MP3s.

Then just rinse and repeat.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Or you could just burn them to a audio CD (I would use a CD-RW) then rip the CD to MP3s.

Vulcan94

The suggested solution is all software, no hardware.
It saves two steps so it's quicker.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
why not just buy DRM free MP3s to start with? www.amazon.com/MP3-Music-Download/b?ie=UTF8&node=163856011

great idea.  thanks for the link

too bad my kids have a ton of stuff they bought from iTunes already . . . and then I upgraded one of their computers, and then the music was all in a big mess.  

I would love to get away from iTunes forever, but they have to have it for ipods.  I'm digging out of a hole here, but I'm with Obama on this one - change is coming.

I'm setting all the music they've already bought free.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vulcan94

this

takes just a few minutes to 'burn' a bunch of songs then rip them.   no changing CDs etc, CD drive doesn't get worn out, etc.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vulcan94

+1

I have some playlists where it would take 6 or 7 CDs to copy.  I'd just like to convert the playlists at once as a whole.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vulcan94

+1

I have some playlists where it would take 6 or 7 CDs to copy.  I'd just like to convert the playlists at once as a whole.

CAUTION: You can still only burn about 700 MB at a time.  This is because iTunes thinks a CD can only be that big, and will try to divide your playlist into several CDs.  When it is finished with the first one, it will ask you to insert another disk.  But, because the virtual disk 'always' has a fresh disc in it, iTunes will start to burn the 2nd disc before the Noteburner can convert the files from the first disc to MP3s.  This goofs it up.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top