Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2008 5:08:14 PM EDT
I got home tonight to no power in the master bedroom or utility room.  I'm guessing the blower motor is on that circuit because no AC either.  

I checked the outlets with a meter and no power, also checked the hot out on the breakers and I do have 125 volts ac there.

Any easy way to track this problem down?  Thanks, Joe

ETA  I was checking outlets by kicking them and the lights flashed.

jk putting probes in and they flashed.  Might be a problem in the outlet.  I hope my wife doesn't find my body laying next to that outlet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]
www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=139

Might get some views from tradesmen and other do-it-yourself types if you post in that forum.  
I think some of them may not hang out in GD.

Good luck.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
The blower motor should be on a separate circuit.  How did you check the hot out at the fuse box/circuit breaker panel?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If you kicked an outlet and the lights flashed could mean that all the lights, outlets and maybe even ac are being fed thru that outlet (not a good thing).  For a temporary fix, you may need to open that outlet and check to see if there is a lose wire on the outlet or if there is a splice that has come undone.  This might solve you problem.  Shut the breaker first!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you have a loose wire on that outlet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
It is hard to tell by your description but if you are testing power in your breaker panel you should have 220 volts between the to hot wires (red or black) you should have 120volts between either of those and the white or green wires.

It sounds like you have lost one leg of the 220 coming into your house and is a utility problem. One way to check this is every other breaker in your panel from top to bottom will not have power.

How did for the 125 volts?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Sounds like you have a loose wire on that outlet.

Or bad outlet.  They do wear out you know.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#7]
 Hard to guess on what could be wrong but your outlets may have been wired by a method called back stabbing. Instead of putting the wires aound the side screws of the outlets and tightening, they inserted them in holes in the back of the outlet. It isn't a solid connection and sometimes the wires can become lose. Could also  be just a loose connection behind the outlet in the box. Shut off the power and start checking your outlets.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Alot of residental installers use outlets with plug in holes, where the wire just pushes straight in. Makes for quick install but after so many years the wires vibrate loose, they arc in the hole and either can overheat and possibly cause a fire and of the circuits after it will occasionally flicker or not work at all. Common problem. As a precaution turn off all computer type devices, I had 2 computers in 1 week blow by accidentaly disconnecting the neutral wire first, always disconnect the hot wire first if working on live circuits. Also the blower circuit is usually just a plug in the closet where the ac coils go into, the blower is just a small fan, common for it to be connected to other circuits.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have any doubt call a friend before continuing but sounds like you have the idea
110 V kills more people than any other voltage each year
People do NOT respect it

First make sure anything important is down powered first Computer TVs you het they idea
Reset all the breakers in the breaker box or if you can see the one (s) that are tripped them. Then check A/C because sometimes they have a brk there
Breaks trip after a while some times
First thing I checked for 12 years at work and 6 years in Navy and here at home too
DOH Check for a GFI in the bathrooms , should not go to Master bed but ours kills the other bathroom when it trips

Be carefull about breakers that are tied together (little plastic thinggy grouping them) Dont know what its called I just have seen em for too long

Trip and reset those if nothing else works
We had one on ship to lighting
One is supposed to trip all three put I posted it so... it took us 4 hours to just trip the breakers and go SH*T

Edit: Guys always Post a warning just in case they are not that familiar with Electricity. He sounds ok but you never know

And they others are right about plugs/fixtures cheap and fast in building
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you have any doubt call a friend before continuing but sounds like you have the idea
110 V kills more people than any other voltage each year
People do NOT respect it

First make sure anything important is down powered first Computer TVs you het they idea
Reset all the breakers in the breaker box or if you can see the one (s) that are tripped them. Then check A/C because sometimes they have a brk there
Breaks trip after a while some times
First thing I checked for 12 years at work and 6 years in Navy and here at home too
DOH Check for a GFI in the bathrooms , should not go to Master bed but ours kills the other bathroom when it trips

Be carefull about breakers that are tied together (little plastic thinggy grouping them) Dont know what its called I just have seen em for too long

Trip and reset those if nothing else works
We had one on ship to lighting
One is supposed to trip all three put I posted it so... it took us 4 hours to just trip the breakers and go SH*T

Edit: Guys always Post a warning just in case they are not that familiar with Electricity. He sounds ok but you never know

And they others are right about plugs/fixtures cheap and fast in building

Which one are you talking about posting warnings, if its me im posting a warning to help someone not blow up a computer  been there done that, i am an electrician for over 13 years now and deal with this problem in an apartment complex all the time, im very familiar with electricity. Im also trying to keep everything simple so everyone can understand whats going on. Not trying to use unfamiliar terms or lingo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:13:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I think he's talking about a general warning like the reloading guys use.  "proceed with caution, use at own risk" type of thing.

I'm an electronics tech with just a year or so of residential wiring experience.  I initially thought about a bad outlet but couldn't figure out why a bedroom+utility room+AC would all be on the same circuit.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone, it was a loose neutral on the back of that outlet. Back stabbing someone called it.  I cleaned up the wire and screwed it on the side.  I use a meter to check the breakers, Fluke is the brand name.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top