Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2001 5:43:51 PM EDT
[url]dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20011204/tc/_home_mess_proves_it_regulate_the_net_and_now__1.html[/url]

It is popular in some circles to say the Internet is so important that it shouldn't be corrupted by government regulation. Try telling that to the 4.1 million people whose Internet service has been threatened, and in some cases interrupted, by the bankruptcy of Excite@Home.
View Quote

There is a poll at the bottom of the story to vote on regulating the net.  Right now it is almost even.

I am one of the 4.1 million @Home customers.  Right now I am back to dailup, and it sucks.  I will probably be down the rest of the week.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not saying that the gubermint should regulate the net.  Once they start, where will they stop?  Answer - After it is heavily taxed and when it is one giant cluster fvck that nobody can use or would want to.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
No!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]
even if they tried it would fail. to big of a job
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Hell no, the govt couldnt even give a hand job without screwing it up.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe the old saying is 'It's too late, the genie is out of the bottle.'

Even Red China will one day be free due to the proliferation of nuclear weapons...naw!...the proliferation of the Internet!

With this subject, as with all other matters of national economy, LET THE MARKETPLACE DECIDE!

It's gotten us where we are, it will get us the rest of the way home!

Besides, as Milton Friedman always said - 'The government should not be in the business of picking out winners and losers.'

Eric The('NuffSaid,Dr.Milton!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Why do they need to when we have moderators.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The Internet is one of the few Government sponsored programs (ARPANET) that actually did something useful.  I would be leary of them getting their hands back in it, as they'd only screw it up.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]
The liberal news media would love to have the govt regulate the internet.  It would be like back to the old days when we get our sanitized news from such talking heads as Tom Brojaw, Dan Blather etc where only they can present/intrepet the news. The genie is out of the bottle, and there is no way to put him back.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Just sent in my vote.  It seems to me that centralized control doesn't work all that well - i.e. the fall of communism.  The Internet has done quite well so far under the laws of supply and demand so let's LEAVE IT alone!

If you don't like the ISP you have, in most places you have at least one other choice.

Course I'm lucky and happy that I have a small cable Internet provider who is rock solid dependable and seemingly financially stable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top