Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2008 5:46:44 AM EDT
Stupid me just updated my work laptop to FF 3.0, restart FF and it won't connect to anything except to the internal work page.

Here's the message I get, regardless of the site (ARfcom, Google, Pirate4x4, TexasBBQ, etc.):

Address Not Found

Firefox can't find the server at www.ar15.com.

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of "www.mozilla.org")
   * Are you certain this domain address exists?  Its registration may have expired.
   * Are you unable to browse other sites?  Check your network connection and DNS server settings.
   * Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy?  Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

I suspect it's the last statement that's causing the problem.  Anyone know how to change proxy setting's in FF 3.0?  I can't find it in the tools menu.

Thanks,

Merlin

P.S. I'm posting this using IE POS 7.0

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:54:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Weird... I updated to FF 3.0 and it retained all my Proxy settings and works fine.

Just for shits... did you try a reboot?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]
See above.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Ok, found it, thanks.  (Reboot didn't do it, either).

ETA:  OK, using IE POS 7.0, I found the boeing.com URL proxy address, stuck it in the FF "Automatic proxy configuration URL" bar using hondaman's directions above and now I'm back in the land of milk and honey.  I'm posting this using FF as we speak.  Since I could only get the boring home page, I thought the IT nazi's had lowered the ban hammer on my interweb surfing....  massive withdrawal pains just from the thought

Thanks for the help and sorry this isn't another Palin thread.

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#5]
After updating to FF 3.0, I immediately had problems with the browser crashing. After doing a reinstall, I haven't (yet) had problems with it crashing, but now it's doing the exact same thing you are describing.

I didn't have any problems with FF 1.0 or 2.0, so I'm a little disappointed with this new version. Strangely, my work computer has no problems with 3.0.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:  OK, using IE POS 7.0, I found the boeing.com URL proxy address, stuck it in the FF "Automatic proxy configuration URL" bar using hondaman's directions above and now I'm back in the land of milk and honey.  I'm posting this using FF as we speak.  Since I could only get the boring home page, I thought the IT nazi's had lowered the ban hammer on my interweb surfing....  massive withdrawal pains just from the thought

Merlin

Proxies are a little tricky since they're not a direct connection, and there's more than one way to configure a proxy connection.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Merlin

Proxies are a little tricky since they're not a direct connection, and there's more than one way to configure a proxy connection.

Oh, I don't doubt it.  Just not by me, without help.  I just use'em, could care less how they work - usually.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top