Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2008 11:17:24 PM EDT
www.realrocknews.com/sammy-hagar-not-bothered-by-mccain-camps-use-of-van-halen-tune/

Sammy Hagar was the frontman for veteran rockers Van Halen when the group’s 1991 single "Right Now" was hitting the airwaves for the first time. Since then, the song has been used more than a few times during TV commercials and various sporting events.

Most recently, however, the use of the song by Presidential Candidate John McCain during the announcement of his running mate, Alaska Governor Sarah Plain is what’s making news.

The reaction from the current Van Halen line-up was not a positive one, although a publicist basically said that the group does not intend to use their celebrity status to promote either the Republican or Democratic candidate for President.

For his part, former VH member Sammy Hagar seems to have no problem at all with the use of the song by McCain’s organization. Hagar wrote the lyrics to the song, although it was a collaboration between himself and Eddie Van Halen that gave birth to the finished product.

Hagar is quoted as saying, "When I wrote the lyrics to ‘Right Now’ I intended them to inspire people to not sit around and wait for something they believed in but to go out and get it — to make a change however they needed to. Whether it was McCain who used the song or if Obama had chosen to use the song, with the current political climate, the lyrics still have the same meaning, and we all need to do something to make a difference, every action counts."

Considering the fact that Hagar entertained some Republicans at a party associated with the Republican National Convention a few nights ago, I guess it should not come as a surprise that he was fine with the use of "Right Now" during the McCain event.

Hagar is known to be a contributor to both President Bush and Republican Congressman Dana Rohrabacher of California. Judging by the reaction of Hagar’s former VH band mates, it may be safe to assume they do not share his enthusiasm for the Republican Party.

Making this story even more interesting is word that the newly-chosen Republican Vice Presidential contender named one of her children in honor of the very group whose feathers seem to be ruffled a bit over the use of their music during her big time political coming out party.

Born in April, Trig Paxson Van Palin is said to have been named in the group’s honor. Now whether the Palin family intended to honor only the group that was known as Van Halen during the Hagar days, or the current line-up is not clear. Perhaps they did not intend to make a distinction at all, in which case, they may be re-thinking that decision right now. (No pun intended).

Perhaps Trig Van Hagar Palin would have been a better choice. Heck, I couldn’t figure out how the "Paxson" came into play anyway.

I knew the RED Rocker was cool!
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Im not a big Hagaar fan...but it's cool to know he supports the GOP.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yet another reason I love Sammy

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#3]
In contrast to the "Heart - Barracuda" thread where I said:  

Well, add some more people to my "do not like" list...

Add another name to the list of "good people I like".
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Sammy is cool.  Love the VH1 Rockumentary when Sammy is talking about Ted Nugent, "Ted Nugent is crazy but he sure can play".
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Sammy always seemed to be the "normal" one in the group, Eddie turned into a real grumpy old drunk.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sammy is cool.  Love the VH1 Rockumentary when Sammy is talking about Ted Nugent, "Ted Nugent is crazy but he sure can play".

Thats cool!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I look like Sammy Hagar and i approve this message.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]
She named her son "..."Van Palin"" ????

That makes Sarah even cooler in my book, as if that was possible.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
well theres Van Hallen (which was good) then there was Van Hagar (Sammy with the worlds best back up band)..

both good for various reasons..
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sammy always seemed to be the "normal" one in the group, Eddie turned into a real grumpy old drunk.

I like Sammy better than DLR but as far as EVH goes he is the shit..  Regardless of his likebility or not, he has defined rock guitar for the last 3 decades.  He is THE single greates guitar player that has lived.  And I say that not only because of his execution but for innovation, sound, influence.  There is not one guitarist in the last thirty years that hasnt been in some way or fashion infuenced by EVH.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#11]
[Joe Dirt]Im a true rocker thru and thur, I like AC/DC, Van Halen, not Van Hagar[Joe Dirt]

Actually I like Sammy, I've even bought some of his solo stuff
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Van Hagar Was great...David lee, they were still good and all but were just better with Sammy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I heard on NPR (of all places) that Jon Bonjovi was having a McCain fundraiser this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I heard on NPR (of all places) that Jon Bonjovi was having a McCain fundraiser this weekend.

Last I heard, Bonjovi was a big jersey democrat supporter?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Van Hagar Was great...David lee, they were still good and all but were just better with Sammy.

+1

I loved the Red Rocker before, during and after VH!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Need to have your hearing aid batteries replaced.  

Bon Jovi to host Obama at fundraiser
Candidate coming to Middletown

By Kevin Penton KYPORT BUREAU  
September 5, 2008

MIDDLETOWN — Al Gore paid a visit in 2000. Four years later, John Kerry walked through the same threshold.

It is now Barack Obama's turn to experience what is becoming a Jersey Shore ritual for Democratic Party presidential candidates — dinner at Jon Bon Jovi's house.

This evening, Obama is expected to drop in at the rock star's Middletown home after attending a reception at the home of Philip Murphy, the Democratic National Committee's finance chairman.

The closed-door fundraising event is expected to attract party bigwigs and celebrities. Tickets for the Murphy event will be $2,300 a person. The price jumps to $30,800 per person for the event at Bon Jovi's home.

During Kerry's 2004 event, then-Governor James E. McGreevey, then-U.S. Sen. Jon S. Corzine and other Democrats hobnobbed with actors such as James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos," Steve Buscemi and Meg Ryan on the grounds of the rock star's multimillion-dollar pad. Each candidate raised about $1 million.

At 7 p.m. — when guests are expected to arrive at Bon Jovi's home — Republicans plan a rally in support of GOP nominee John McCain at Middletown's Lincroft Inn.

Obama and the attendants are expected to shuttle between Murphy's and Bon Jovi's homes, which are located in a posh neighborhood on the northern bank of the Navesink River, less than two miles from each other.

Middletown Police Chief Robert Oches said he estimates the township will spend about $14,000 in police overtime costs to help provide security for Obama. So far, no one from Obama's camp has offered to pick up the tab, the chief said.

"We're going to have to shift a considerable amount of personnel," said Oches, who believes the visit's security is complicated by the fact that Obama will be in two locations.

Once the bill is tallied, township officials expect to contact the Obama campaign to see if they are willing to pay, Middletown Mayor Gerard Scharfenberger said.

"They're going to be raising a lot of money," said Scharfenberger, a Republican. "It's only fair to not have the taxpayers bear the cost of this."

Andrew Poag, communications director for Obama's New Jersey campaign, said he could not comment on whether Middletown would be reimbursed.

While Oches does not anticipate that he will shut down Navesink River Road, he expects police will prevent motorists on cross streets from entering the path of Obama's motorcade in the moments before it passes.

A State Police spokesman could not confirm whether there are plans to shut down the Garden State Parkway or other state roads during Obama's visit.

State Police will meet with the Secret Service this morning to finalize security plans, Capt. Al Della Fave said. Segments of the State Police's special operations sections — including aviation, bomb squad and canine units — will be on standby, he said.

Scharfenberger said he won't be attending.

"I certainly haven't been invited," said the mayor, who likes to keep his acquaintances bipartisan. "Some of my best friends are registered Democrats."

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#18]
err... I was sort of asleep at the wheel this morning...

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the song "RIGHT NOW" was the perfect choice for the occasion.

I and love the way Sammy to F' off without saying F' off.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Go Sammy

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Bush should have used "Marching to Mars" when was talking about manned space travel to the red planet.

Sammy is awesome.  Van Halen has sucked big time since his departure.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Bush should have used "Marching to Mars" when was talking about manned space travel to the red planet.

Sammy is awesome.  Van Halen has sucked big time since his departure.

VERY TRUE!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Apparently Heart is pissed that they used "Barracuda."

I'm sure that has been posted, so I won't bother to start a new thread.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Apparently Heart is pissed that they used "Barracuda."

I'm sure that has been posted, so I won't bother to start a new thread.

Fuck 'em.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Money talks, Suckers walk, Bet you can't touch my 3 lock box.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You gotta be kidding
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Jon Bonjovi is a dyed in the wool liberal.  He performed a concert for Obama during the primaries and IIRC, he performed at fundraisers for John Kerry as well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Rock and politics don't belong together... but you don't have to take my word for it:

"I call it treason against rock 'n' roll because rock is the antithesis of politics. Rock should never be in bed with politics.  If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are. Why are we rock stars? Because we're morons. We sleep all day, we play music at night and very rarely do we sit around reading the Washington Journal."

-Alice Cooper-

"I truly believe that people like myself, who are in a position of entertainers in the limelight, should keep their mouth shut on politics. Because at the end of the day, I'm good at writing songs and singing. What I'm not educated in is the field of political science. And so for me to be sharing my views and influencing people of who I think they should be voting for ... I think would be very irresponsible on my part."

-Kid Rock-

Entertainers with insight.  Also, Alice Cooper is golfing buddies with John McCain... but you don't see him out there pimping McCain at his shows.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Rock and politics don't belong together... but you don't have to take my word for it:

"I call it treason against rock 'n' roll because rock is the antithesis of politics. Rock should never be in bed with politics.  If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are. Why are we rock stars? Because we're morons. We sleep all day, we play music at night and very rarely do we sit around reading the Washington Journal."

-Alice Cooper-

"I truly believe that people like myself, who are in a position of entertainers in the limelight, should keep their mouth shut on politics. Because at the end of the day, I'm good at writing songs and singing. What I'm not educated in is the field of political science. And so for me to be sharing my views and influencing people of who I think they should be voting for ... I think would be very irresponsible on my part."

-Kid Rock-

Entertainers with insight.  Also, Alice Cooper is golfing buddies with John McCain... but you don't see him out there pimping McCain at his shows.

Didn't Alice Cooper run for senator, governor, mayor or dog catcher or something?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

go on and write me up for 125..
post my face wanted dead or alive
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

go on and write me up for 125..
post my face wanted dead or alive

Head bangers in leather
Sparks flyin in the dead of the night
It all comes together
When they turn out the lights
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Sammy has a long history of being a regular Joe.

Van Hagar was what it was. Good.

His individual works were just as good or better.

Cabo Wabo is good shit...

Eddie and the guys are without David Lee Roth, and Michael Anthony, and it's obvious.

Good tunes, all of them.

Politics??? Sorry.

Music is not Politics.

I don't care what actors, artists, and Musicians think or say, when it comes to the direction of our Republic.

Sammy has the good grace to STFU and not abuse his media spotlight, unlike others.

It is appreciated.
S-28

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jon Bonjovi is a dyed in the wool liberal.  He performed a concert for Obama during the primaries and IIRC, he performed at fundraisers for John Kerry as well.

Fuck that mother fucker!

That can be applied to every person mentioned in that post.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Diamond Dave>Sammy
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Shut up and sing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like Sammy better than DLR but as far as EVH goes he is the shit..  Regardless of his likebility or not, he has defined rock guitar for the last 3 decades.  He is THE single greates guitar player that has lived.  And I say that not only because of his execution but for innovation, sound, influence.  There is not one guitarist in the last thirty years that hasnt been in some way or fashion infuenced by EVH.

One Stevie Ray Vaughn  The very best
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Talent is relative, SRV is awesome, so is EVH.

Eddie at Les Paul Party
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRV was great no doubt about it.  But truth of the matter his death elevated his staus like it does so many stars.  I dont say that to diminish him but o say that somehow unexpected death somehow turns stars into some demigod.  SRV has nowhere near the influence over popular music that EVH has and he didnt really bring any innovation to the instrument or the sound.  Compared side by side, EVH stands much higher in regards to infleuence, style, innovation, etc.

But I do like SRV too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRV was great no doubt about it.  But truth of the matter his death elevated his staus like it does so many stars.  I dont say that to diminish him but o say that somehow unexpected death somehow turns stars into some demigod.  SRV has nowhere near the influence over popular music that EVH has and he didnt really bring any innovation to the instrument or the sound.  Compared side by side, EVH stands much higher in regards to infleuence, style, innovation, etc.

But I do like SRV too.

We will never know how good srv could have become .  I saw  van halen several times starting in 77 I did like sammy better than dlr. Eddie is always great.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
We will never know how good srv could have become .  I saw  van halen several times starting in 77 I did like sammy better than dlr. Eddie is always great.

True..  And sad.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I heard that Sammy got tired of being in Van Halen because he was the only one working, writing new songs.

Sammy Hagar - VOA

I don't see someone who wrote that song and made that video, voting for Obama!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I heard that Sammy got tired of being in Van Halen because he was the only one working, writing new songs.

Sammy Hagar - VOA

I think EVH fired him, in a drugged, drunk state of mind.

EVH went off the deep end for a period there in the late 90s, early 2000s, search for his videos of the pron music he did, he looks like shit in them, like a drunk does.

ETA: Here is one, there are others, mods delete if CoC violations, I don't think there are any.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7b_-rRht9I
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
He is THE single greates guitar player that has lived.  

Jimi Hendrix owns his ass.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He is THE single greates guitar player that has lived.  

Jimi Hendrix owns his ass.

No he doesnt.  beleive me when I say this.  I play guitar, have for 28 years now with a two year hiatus when I broke my fingers up at 16..  I listen to all kinds of music, all kinds.  Van Halen isnt my favorite band and EVH is far from my fav guitarist but I know one thing, he is the best guitarist sout there.  he defined the last 30+ years of guitar, he invented a style, techniques, sound.  he isnt a one trick pony either.  He is an accomplished pianist trained classically as a kid, a very good flamenco guitarist and can rip a wicked blues riff too.  Yeah I know the argument of the whle what if Hendrix or whoever didnt die but facts are facts, the guy is the greatest yet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I never really cared for Sammy's music in particular, but I've heard him talk a few times and he seems to be a real down-to-earth kind of guy. The kind you'd want to throw back a few drinks with.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I can relate to a guy who can't drive 55.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sammy Hagar - VOA

I think EVH fired him, in a drugged, drunk state of mind.

EVH went off the deep end for a period there in the late 90s, early 2000s, search for his videos of the pron music he did, he looks like shit in them, like a drunk does.

ETA: Here is one, there are others, mods delete if CoC violations, I don't think there are any.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7b_-rRht9I

Did Michael Anthony leave VH after that?  I seem to remember him playing on Sammy's tour at the same time VH was touring.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Also, Alice Cooper is golfing buddies with John McCain... but you don't see him out there pimping McCain at his shows.

Three weeks ago Alice Cooper had McCain, Nobama and Bush on stage while he sang "elected".  Nobama kicked McCain in the nuts and Bush was jumping up and down.  

Alice Cooper still rocks...
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#50]

There is not one guitarist in the last thirty years that hasnt been in some way or fashion infuenced by EVH.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top