Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2008 12:16:51 PM EDT
So do klein tools gloves.

With my new job, I kill a pair every 3 days.  Old fashioned cowhide is all that holds up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
and a lot cheaper too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
What's your new job?  Still a trucker but hauling something else?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to Northern Tool & Equipment, you can find the off brand of Mechaincs
style gloves for 6.99, not the 25 they charge for the name.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Good to know.  I have a friend who has a pair and I always thought they looked like junk.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
they work for me FWIW
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good to know.  I have a friend who has a pair and I always thought they looked like junk.

They aren't if used as intended. They aren't designed to be "work" gloves or heavy duty gloves by any stretch. They're just fabric. They are great for providing minimal protection while maintaining maximum dexterity, however.

Cowhide generally sucks for dexterity. Ever try to grab 6mm hex heads before they fall into the abyss of the engine compartment with a pair of Wells Lamont leathers?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What's your new job?  Still a trucker but hauling something else?  

I pull these now

Or East trailers instead of Reitnouer
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
they work for me FWIW
Yeah, but are you slinging chains, wood, and straps all day?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#10]
yes they do... esp. if you are a "mechanic" I have wrenched on just about everything in the last 30 years... I have to use my bare hands... its the only way to "see" what can't be seen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah they fucking suck!! Cowhide FTW
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
they work for me FWIW

They work for me, too. But I use them for what they're designed for.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#13]
They work pretty good, but I bought M-Pact 2
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't know what you are using 'em for but the Mechanix M-Pact gloves are great for shooting/tactical blue ninja stuff, at half the cost of purpose made "tacticool" gloves and last me a hell of a lot longer.

For loading crates of ammo and strapping it all down, I use a pair of heavy duty leather gloves that I get from TSC (forget the brand)  I also use 'em for heavy duty stuff like working on a friends ranch, riding 4 wheelers, etc.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They work pretty good, but I bought M-Pact 2

Dang, beat me to it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, they really don't hold up too well...

I switched to those cheap knit gloves with the 'dipped rubber' palms and fingers.

They are cheap and hold up better than leather work gloves.

I've never used the Klein tool gloves...
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, they don't seem to be durable enough to last when working around in my garage for simple DIY stuff. Tend to rip and fall apart right in the middle of the job. I end up with mismatch sets, as one glove would get destroyed.

I use them when working on my motorcycles, working on my guns/gun smithing, home repairs/improvements, yard equipment... rarely use them on my cars/trucks, as they don't require much work, besides the routine maintenance.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#19]
On the contrary, they are awesome.  You need some of these instead for what you're doing with them:

www.csarmysurplus.com/gloves_and_liners.htm

Ugly and uncomfortable but rugged as hell.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Now hold youre horses folks
I have used gloves for about 14 years both Mechanic gloves and Leather
Both do what they are built for realy well
Leather gloves can be used where Mech are but you lose dexterity
Mechs can be used the other way too but they get chewed up quick
I have also bought the off name brand mechanic gloves and I will never buy a pair of those again they die a quick death on anything, you get what you pay for

So compair apples to apples
Mec gloves are for when you need dexterity and not a lot of wear protection
Like in a mechanics shop DUH
Now Leather gloves have a spot there too for protection
But if you haul chains, ropes, or cables get leather gloves, they are to protect your hands
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I use 'em for protecting my delicate, lilly-white, collegiate knuckles and manicure when I occasionally turn a wrench.

For this they work great.

- AG

BTW: Just kidding about the manicure part... I did use them all the time when I'd do AR repair at gunshows.  Really can save the knuckles and avoid cuts.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I know they're expensive but my guys at work WEAR them! I don't have to tell them to "put on your gloves". They normally go through 2 pairs a year. If the gloves are doing what they're intended to do then I say they're worth it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
they work for me FWIW

They work for me, too. But I use them for what they're designed for.

It fits into

USE THE PROPER TOOL FOR THE JOB.

What your doing equates to hunting bear with a .22
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#24]
fabric gloves arent meant for what you are doing.  they are great for their intended purpose.  they sure beat the hell out of nomex gloves for working on vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#25]
They would last longer if you take them off before beating off
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Don't know what you are using 'em for but the Mechanix M-Pact gloves are great for shooting/tactical blue ninja stuff, at half the cost of purpose made "tacticool" gloves and last me a hell of a lot longer.

That's what I use them for most often. I have heavy leather gloves in the truck for real work.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#27]
When used for actual auto repair they work great.

I have burned myself many a time while working on or near hot exhaust pipes or brakes, then I got some nice Mechanix gloves that give me a little extra protection while I'm still able to get that 1/2inch washer and bolt on. I use up about two pair a year as a shadetree.

-JTP
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Next time buy Ironclad brand.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#29]
they work well for shooting

but yea, cowhide for work
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Which ones do you use?  I use the rigular ones for shooting, the thinsulate ones for winter work and the impact pros for normal work.  They hold up a lot better for Mechanics then for construction guys, who would have though with a name like Mechanix .  On a side note my buddy bought his Porsche from the guy who owns the company.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I think this guy runs their complaint department, contact him

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#32]

These - $15. Like my women, I like them tight. Deerskin - you'll never go back.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have to use my bare hands... its the only way to "see" what can't be seen.

Gloves for spots where using no gloves would tear up your knuckles - Bare hands the other 95 percent of the time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
They would last longer if you take them off before beating off

Dammit, you beat me to it!
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Forget about using them Iraq or Afghanistan.

They are not fire retardent or fire resistant. They'll melt right into your skin the minute there is a flash burn and they'll be cutting it and picking it loose, which could lead to causing infection.

Sticks with WilleyX Gloves, Blackhawk, or regular nomax flight gloves folks.

Ditch the Oakley crap too. Those things burn and melt PDQ.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Forget about using them Iraq or Afghanistan.

They are not fire retardent or fire resistant. They'll melt right into your skin the minute there is a flash burn and they'll be cutting it and picking it loose, which could lead to causing infection.

Sticks with WilleyX Gloves, Blackhawk, or regular nomax flight gloves folks.

Ditch the Oakley crap too. Those things burn and melt PDQ.

FYI ACU's melt too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

FYI ACU's melt too.

Yup, which is why everyone (well a lot of folks) are wearing those nomax flight suits. It's also why the Marines ordered up the FROG uniforms.

Ya might get forced to wear the ACU's outside the wire, but they can't force you to wear gloves too that will melt into your skin. There's no sense in buying them.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Oakley SI gloves, maybe?
Have some.  Not ruining $75 gloves.

The mechanix gloves I have are leather palmed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a set, and I trash them in short order. The grease and oil kills them, which seems strange on a mechanic's glove.

Anymore, just get the knock offs. They work almost as well, at half the price.

For you, I dunno. Every flatbed trucker I know wears dead cow.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I agree with the assessment on Mechanix gloves.  

I bought these Dewalts a couple months ago, they've lasted longer than any three pairs of Mech gloves.  I use them hard.

DeWalt HD gloves

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I've had good luck with these gloves from Duluth Trading company.
www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/64037.aspx?feature=Product_1&kw=gloves

Good company to do business with. I'll put any of their Firehose stuff up against carhart anyday.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#42]
These are cheap and  they last. You can find copycats at half the price. $3.00 to $4.00. When they need it, I just spray a degreaser on them and pitch'em in the wash.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#43]
My policy is gloves cost money, skin grows back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#44]
as mentioned they work well for what they are intended for.

i work construction so i'm pretty hard on them. i usually go through two pairs in about 5 months during the colder months.

for what i do i can't think of anything else that would work better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top