Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2001 10:23:44 AM EDT
Airbags can be dangerous, there is no question about that.  One study suggests that more kids are killed every year by accidental airbag deployments than accidental shootings.

Will pulling the airbag fuse out of the fusebox disable the airbag, or will it just disable the airbag warning light?  Usually they are 30 AMP fuses, so they have the capacity for a lot of current.  More than would be needed for an indicator light. Are there any other safety systems tied to the airbag circuit?

I would like to have the option to disable this in my Jeep due to several factors:

1.  I drive off-road and don't want an AD because of a hard knock.
2.  I have a small family, and while I don't let my kids ride up front as babies, I want that option to be available when they get older.
3.  They scare my wife.

Any input (except lectures - I am aware of those already) would be welcome.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I think pulling the fuse might work, but you should verify this by looking at your car's wiring diagrams.

It seems plausable to me that the airbag circuit needs to be fused just like any other in order to avoid inadvertent fires caused by shorted wiring or the like.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
One study suggests that more kids are killed every year by accidental airbag deployments than accidental shootings.

View Quote

1. Because the kids aren't wearing their seatbelt in the first place.

2. How in the hell can somebody tell me that a kid was killed by an airbag, but wouldn't have been killed when the struck the dash/windshield with their head had the airbag not been there?

I suggest that before you go off disabling things you learn how an airbag actually works. I've leaned how they work twice, the hard way. Once with a seatbelt and once without.

Michael

(edited for speling)
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Children have been killed by an airbag deploying for no reason at all, or unnecessairly such as in a minor accident.

To those of you who have been saved by airbags, congratulations.  Seatbelts still save far more lives than airbags.  To those who want to accuse me of lunacy or going off half cocked, listen:

I want the *ability* to disable the device for *particlar* reasons.

Keep in mind that most newer cars are sold with an airbag lockout switch.

Get YOUR facts straight before lecturing.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And how many of those children aren't strapped in?
View Quote

Quoted:
2. How in the hell can somebody tell me that a kid was killed by an airbag, but wouldn't have been killed when the struck the dash/windshield with their head had the airbag not been there?
View Quote

Hello?  An accidental airbag deployment occurs when the car is
a. not striking somthing.
b. not striking somthing hard enough to other wise cause injury.
c. getting rear-ended or fendered neither of which requires an airbag.
d. travelling over rough roads.

Edited becauer I forgot"{quote}"
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#6]
the Jeep Wrangler TJ is designed to allow the pulling of the fuse to "temporarily" disengage the driver side airbag. there is a key-lock switch ahead of the shifter on the console to disengage the passenger airbag.

if you have a Cherokee, i would think that it has the same design. check the manual, or even call the Jeep dealer for specifics.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Short women that must sit close to the steering wheel are at great risk from the air bag. The bag strikes them while in the inflation mode & drives their heads backwards and potentialy breaking their necks (killing them). Children in the passenger seat of small trucks are at risk (while restrained in child seats). There are a number of reasons that one would want to disable the airbag. Maybe as simple as his wife is afraid of them. That in itself is enough of a reason for me to disable an airbag.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Disconnect the battery.  Pull the airbag fuse.  Wait about 30 minutes or so.

Locate the 2 screws behind the steering wheel that hold the airbag module in place.  Remove those screws and remove the module.  You will have to disconnect the wiring from the module to the steering shaft.  Now reinstall the module without reconnecting the wiring and replace the screws, replace the fuse and reconnect the battery.  Check to see if you airbag warning light comes on.  If it doesn't, your good to go.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the information.  I will do some further checking with Jeep.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And how many of those children aren't strapped in?
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Hello?  An accidental airbag deployment occurs when the car is
a. not striking somthing.
b. not striking somthing hard enough to other wise cause injury.
c. getting rear-ended or fendered neither of which requires an airbag.
d. travelling over rough roads.

Edited becauer I forgot"{quote}"
View Quote

Hello.....A child that is restrained by a seat belt would be virtually unaffected by an airbag deploying for no reason. It is designed to keep people from impacting the dash/steering wheel or windshield and does not extend all the way to the seat when inflated.

The disable switch is incorporated for children that are restrained in rearward facing child safety seats and similar devices in which the airbag would cause more harm than had it not been there.

I don't disagree that airbags can sometimes be more dangerous than not having airbags, I simply disagree with the study you mention when applied to children restrained by seat belts.

By the way, before you start pulling fuses you may want make sure that it only controls the airbag and not multiple other items. I disabled the airbag in my Mustang by clipping two wires under the dash.

Michael
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Airbags are bullshit.  First, they said that we needed them because no one was wearing their seatbelts...then they said that if you don't wear your seatbelt in an airbag equipt car, it could kill you!  Does anyone remember this?

I don't deny that airbags save lives in some instances.  And, I know that they have harmed people in other instances.  I'm not blaming carmakers for putting these devices in cars.  First, consumers WANTED them...then the government MANDATED them.  Personally, as a consumer, I want my power of CHOICE back.  If I want an airbag, then I'll buy a car with one...if I don't I'll choose a car without one.

The thing that everyone is forgetting is that these systems cost money...lots of it.  I'd rather have $800 in my pocket (or mor trunk space, or 50 more horsepower...you know something I can actually USE everyday) than a security blanket.

If the man wants to disable his airbag (ill-advised or not), that is HIS decision to make.  Unfortunately, he already was forced to shell out the cash for it.  Now if he disables it he bought a useless device.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#12]
You didn't say whether you had a CJ/YJ type or a Cherokee.

As a auto mechanic I don't think it would be wise of me to tell you how to disable your SRS system. But if you do decide to disable it a few things to keep in mind. 1)I would advise against cutting any wires. You may want to sell the vehicle someday and spliced airbag wiring would be a definite drawback. 2)Airbag systems are more likely to not deploy at all than to go off while you are off roading unless you ram head first into something. SRS systems use an inertia system that requires exceeding a certain level of G force to activate. 3)If your kids are big enough to sit in the front seat without a child or booster seat they are safe from airbag deployment. If they aren't big enough YOU need to take proper precautions. 4)About the only thing wrong with 1st gen airbags is a person will get facial abrasions. 2nd gen are low pressure and if your vehicle is brand new it will be 3rd gen which are 2 stage. And last but not least, no doubt you are like most everyone else on the planet who drives and spend most of your time on pavement. You are much more likely to get in a headon collision, in which case there is indisputable evidence that airbags prevent injuries and save lives.

All that said, if you insist on being able to disable your system for temporary use, find a mechanic knowledgable in auto wiring and SRS systems (who is willing to risk being SUED when you get hurt) and have him instal a lockout switch for each airbag like pickups use for the passenger side bag. At least that way you could reliably turn them on and off.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Really think about disabling this one.

Recently my son rolled his pick-up truck. Witness's stated he was doing about 75MPH (legal limit 70) went into the median, came back across the highway on the roof, hit the drainage ditch and that sent the truck into the air and it rolled 5 times. [u]He got out with a few scratches and a slight bruise[/u], truck is totaled. I am convinced that, the seatbelt and air bag saved him from serious injury, if not saving his life!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Torf
If you disable your air bag system do not cut any wires these cannot be repaired by law and the cost of an air bag wire harness averages about $350.00 to $900.00 depending if it is a seperate loom. All air bag wires are a very bright yellow so you can tell what they are. If you remove the drives air bag to disconnect it be careful, a spark will possibly set it off. tape over the wire plug end and the air bag connection. I do damage appraisal and agree if your in a major collision they are great but if it's a low impact they just hurt you.
Also FYI it is against federal law to disable an air bag system without written permission from the DOT. It is a dumb law but it is the law
Hope this helps,
Blackgun
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Oops, my bad!  I thought this thread was about garandman! [:)]

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#16]
The vehicle is a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

It has been determined that in *ILLINOIS* it is legal for the *CUSTOMER* to disable their airbags at their option, however the airbag system must be connected to a switch which reveals whether the system is ON/OFF.

I am really more interested in having the 'option to disable' more than any permanent fix.

Quoted:
2)Airbag systems are more likely to not deploy at all than to go off while you are off roading unless you ram head first into something. SRS systems use an inertia system that requires exceeding a certain level of G force to activate.
View Quote

Those sensors have been known to fail, and trigger a bogus deployment, or are not properly calibrated.

3)If your kids are big enough to sit in the front seat without a child or booster seat they are safe from airbag deployment. If they aren't big enough YOU need to take proper precautions.
View Quote

That is why I would like to disable the system temporairly.  No one is 'safe' from airbag deployment.  My mother-in-law suffered severe whiplash from an unneccesary deployment.  She said that it felt like she got punched in the face by Mike Tyson.

4)About the only thing wrong with 1st gen airbags is a person will get facial abrasions. 2nd gen are low pressure and if your vehicle is brand new it will be 3rd gen which are 2 stage. And last but not least, no doubt you are like most everyone else on the planet who drives and spend most of your time on pavement. You are much more likely to get in a headon collision, in which case there is indisputable evidence that airbags prevent injuries and save lives.
View Quote

Ahhh, the old "No one goes off-road" argument.  Well, many of us do frequently.  Most off-road experts agree that it is wise to disable the airbag system before going off-road.

I think it is funny that whenever someone asks a question on AR15.com, he must be subjected to a gauntlet of lectures and accusations about what he is doing.  If illegal activities were being discussed that would be different.  I was asking for information, not an arguement.
A simple "Be careful" would be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top