BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2001 9:24:06 AM EDT
Officer who shot woman cleared
County cop acted in self-defense, authorities say

By Eric Ferkenhoff and Aamer Madhani
Tribune staff reporters
Published December 4, 2001

An off-duty Cook County sheriff's officer was acting in self-defense when he fatally shot an ex-girlfriend who allegedly kicked in his apartment door and cut him on the arm, police said Monday.

Ricky Haynes, a 16-year veteran officer on medical leave since May, was released from police custody late Sunday and is not expected to be charged in the death of Annette Clay, police said.

Chief of Detectives Phil Cline said the case was reviewed by the Cook County state's attorney's office, which found the 43-year-old officer fired his gun in self-defense. He said Clay, 33, had allegedly committed a home invasion by kicking in Haynes' door before slashing the officer, an act that would make the shooting justifiable.

"I understand it was a justifiable shooting," said Sheriff Michael Sheahan, who added there would be an internal investigation to make sure the officer acted appropriately. Such investigations are routine when an officer fires his weapon, said Sheahan spokesman Bill Cunningham.

Clay's family acknowledged she suffered from mental illness and had a troubled relationship with the officer, but they doubted Clay would have kicked her way into the apartment.

"She loved him and she couldn't hurt him anyway," said Clay's sister, Monica. "She was a skinny woman and he was a big, strong cop. I can't believe he would need to shoot her to defend himself from her."

Police did not say why Clay had gone to Haynes' apartment in the 4300 block of North Hazel Street early Sunday. Her sister said Clay took a bus late Saturday to the officer's home to pick up her disability check that had been sent to the officer's home.

Police said Clay had been seen around the building as early as 2 a.m. Eight hours later, when a guard left to do a floor check, Clay got into the secured building and went to Haynes' 17th-floor apartment, police said.

Haynes, who was in the apartment with another woman, refused to allow Clay inside. She became enraged, police said, and kicked in the door, breaking the lock. Once inside, she allegedly slashed at Haynes with a razor or box cutter.

The officer then fired his service revolver, a .32-caliber handgun, striking Clay once in the chest, police said. The officer, who suffered minor cuts, was allowed to carry his badge and weapon while on medical leave. The officer has been off since May, when he had surgery to his knee for an injury unrelated to his job, police said.

Clay and the officer first met several years ago when she visited her inmate husband at Cook County Jail. Haynes was a guard at the time, her family said. She later had Haynes' first name tattooed on the side of her neck and on her chest.

Family members described Clay as a paranoid schizophrenic but said she was able to live a relatively normal life and was raising three sons, ages 11, 9, and 5.

"Tomorrow is the 9-year-old's birthday, and he keeps asking if his mother is going to be there for his birthday," Monica Clay said. "It's not right that he's going to get away with this."

Clay had been arrested several times. At least three of the arrests involved battery, including a 1998 case in which she allegedly stabbed a relative in the face. But court documents suggest most of the cases were later dropped.

Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The only reason I posted this one is, if this was a common citizen in the City, they would get jail time for having a pistol in the city!  No one other than police can do this in Chicago, even if you are right.
Also, what cop carries a .32?  
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#2]
"The officer then fired his service revolver, a .32-caliber handgun"

Somebody is full of crap,there is only one handgun in .32 made today and thats a .32 ACP not a revolver.
And even if the guy had some old .32revolver is there ever was one it would not be a service weapon!
Even in a commie town that will not let people have thing the founders wanted them to have could there cops sooooo dumb that they would use a 32 or even a revolver.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#3]
She allegedly used a box cutter, and we all know that those are the most evil weapons of our time.  They actually have box cutter control in some areas of NY.

She demonstrated violence, she broke in, she attacked.  Are there any other reasons that this shooting was justifiable?  Sometimes I am amazed that there is even any question.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Remember that the media is controlled by the democrat media, especially in Chicago.  Was not Clay the last name of Mummahuuad Ali before he bacame muslim? Was that an assault box cutter? That would even scare me!  It was a Plot by Bin Laden, I know it, I know it!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Kops are never wrong, just ask 'em
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not a cop, but I would shoot anyone that went after me with a box cutter or knife or whatever.

I don't think this guy should get dogged just for defending himself. Whether it was a little woman or a big guy or a 10yr old kid, with a knife they can all kill ya.

Michael
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#7]
well....I guess I will get into this one.
Known psychotic, came through his front door?
Excuse me just this once but.....good shooting.
It is just too bad that non-uniformed civilians are not judged like this.....
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't you think [b]YOU[/b] would be justified in shooting in this situation?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Could have been a .32 Long Colt, or a .32 magnum revolver. Since this seems so unlikely, I say the reporter mistook a .38 for a .32

Obviously, the insane woman believed herself to be a Moslem Terrorist, whose duty lay in kicking in the cockpit door, and slashing up the "pilot" she found inside.

Probably further enraged her to find the "pilot" makine out with the "stewardess."

-------
"Allah Kabar"
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, what cop carries a .32?  
c-rock
View Quote

Uh, the same kind that date whacko, paranoid schizo's with husbands in his jail?  This sounds like a royal clusterf*ck of lowlifes, including the LEO.  I have come to expect better of the vast majority of LEO's.  [whacko]
View Quote

I gotta agree with you on this one.  Why in the hell would this cop date a woman that he met at a prison who was visiting her convict husband.  The shooting sounds definetely like a justified shooting but he should have never dated this woman in the first place.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The officer then fired his service revolver, a .32-caliber handgun, striking Clay once in the chest, police said. The officer, who suffered minor cuts, was allowed to carry his badge and weapon while on medical leave. The officer has been off since May, when he had surgery to his knee for an injury unrelated to his job, police said.
View Quote

Do people in LE actually carry a 32-caliber revolver? Probably a typo, most likely 38.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
The story did not say what kind of door he had, but if he was a cop I'll bet he had a dead bolt lock.  How many skinny women can kick in a door with a dead bolt?  Maybe, if she was totally psycho, but not by kicking it.  She would probably have to ram it with her whole body many times.  There would have been time to call 911 when she started flinging her body against the door.  No mention of 911 in the story at all.  

How did he get really get those minor cuts?  Did he have his gun out when she started cutting on him?  If he did, why didn't he blast her after she "kicked in" the door holding a box cutter.  If they were struggling for the knife, why did he go for his gun after the fact?  Surely they argued through the door for some time before she busted in.  I'll bet she wasn't his "ex" at all.  The day before he was probably telling her how she was the only woman for him and stringing her along to get poon.  He would not open the door because he got busted with getting some other poon.  The whole thing just sounds fishy.  Hopefully, it is just bad reporting.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Somebody is full of crap,there is only one handgun in .32 made today and thats a .32 ACP not a revolver.
View Quote

Ruger, H&R and Freedom Arms all make 32H&R Mag revolvers.

Sig P230/232 is offered in 32ACP and is a popular offduty/backup weapon.

Somebody kicks in your door and attacks you with a bladed weapon i hope you shoot too!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Ruger, H&R and Freedom Arms all make 32H&R Mag revolvers.

Sig P230/232 is offered in 32ACP and is a popular offduty/backup weapon.

Somebody kicks in your door and attacks you with a bladed weapon i hope you shoot too!
View Quote

And CZ72, Walther PPK, lots of old Colt pocket hammerless still circulating btw, see lots of them in pawn shops here in PHX. Doesnt have to be a new gun.
OMG! I cant beleve that I forgot the Beretta Tomcat .32, one of the most popular out there.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[OMG! I cant beleve that I forgot the Beretta Tomcat .32, one of the most popular out there.
View Quote

And the Seecamp, Keltec P32, Autagua Arms 32, NAA Guardian...
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe he opened the door to talk to her and had the chain on it.  When she "kicked in" the door she just broke the chain loose?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

No, I would be in jail, as would any non-jbt/officer.  pigs are above the law.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I for one am sure your delightfully positive attitude would be a great asset if you ever find yourself in a similar situation.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Good attitude!!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:08:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's a .32-20 ?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:30:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

What's a .32-20 ?
View Quote

I'm don't know if you're kidding here or not, but it's an old bottlenecked cartridge that originated in black powder days.  .32 caliber bullet/20gr black powder.  My grandfather had a full collection of Winchester rifles and Colt revolvers made in this caliber.  [b]Every single one[/b].  If Colt made a revolver in .32-20 (whatever model) with a 4 or 6 inch barrel, he had one of each.  It's been a while since his passing, but I think it totaled around 70-90 firearms.  We tried to get a local museum with a large gun display to accept them and use them for a nice complete display, but they wouldn't garuntee they'd keep the collection intact.  The family auctioned them off piecemeal,  what a waste.  I was too young to have a say in it, and not financially in a position to buy anything.  What a waste.  BTW - Thompson Center even chambered the Contender in .32-20 - I know this 'cause he had one of those also.  (He didn't like it really, but felt obligated to buy one of those too.)

Just last weekend I found a whole box full of ammo I kept when we cleaned out the house after Grandmother died.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:02:49 AM EDT
[#23]
He should have dialed 911,and hid in the cheerios box till the authorites arrived.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top