Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2001 8:09:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't heard of Berdan primers taboo for AR's.  The South African Surplus Ammo uses them.  The "bad point" in Berdan primers is that it's much harder to use them for reloading.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#2]
berdan primers are difficult to reload. so are steel shell cases, and some think the laccquer is bad. some folks think wolf bullets are steel jacketed and bad for your barrel, though wolf says otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Peoples only problem withwolf ammo is its steel case and laquer coating. Most milsup ammo is berdan primed. Berdan primed ammo is much harder toreload because it uses a special de-priming tool. The primer are also a little harder to get a hold of. I shoot wolf ammo and other than low accuracy it works great, no problems.

Just my .03

Guncrazy223
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok...since you asked:

The Berdan primed ammo can't be reloaded.

The Wolf ammo has a coating on it that tends to melt off in a hot AR receiver...which then tends to gum up that receiver chamber real bad.  Then...when that stuff hardens back up...well, I think you can picture that.  I know one gent who really gummed up his AR using that ammo.  This takes a while and usually several rounds of really heating up your AR but then...if you ain't getting that Little Black Rifle hot...why, you're just wasting ammo anyway!

My .02...just for the record.

[peep]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think berdan primers are the big issue with Wolf ammo.  From what I understand the problem is with the lacquer coating they put on the steel cases to prevent corrosion.  Some (but not all) people have had problems when the lacquer begins to dissolve in a hot chamber, gumming it up and causing functioning problems.
(All heresay, I've never used the stuff myself.)
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Sportsmans Guide in S. St. Paul.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

In the search function on their home page type "223".  $99.97/M + shipping for Wolf.

I saw several messages on this board that said that they were out of stock until late Dec., but I don't know if that's still true.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW: In my world, M = 1000, not one million.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#11]
You must be in printing if m=1,000 and mm=1,000,000!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Wolf blows for several reasons.

It's steel laqured cases.  Laquer melts, screws up gun.  Especially Oly Arms AR varieties.

No reload.

Biggest thing for me...It STINKS!~!
I think they mix crap with their powder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top