Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2008 7:03:45 PM EDT
Over the holiday weekend I moved into a country home. I have a barn for my horses and alot of space. I am pretty excited.

On my first night I discovered I have mice and the barn has a few hornets nest. Shouldn't be a problem right? I'm a fox, I can hunt. Here we go.

The target

The aftermath

Fallen comrades

I made the mistake of leaving a candy bar on the kitchen counter. I woke up the next day to find a quarter-sized chunk eaten away and mouse poop all over the counter
Paper towels were shreded and poop under the sink too. Moved the stove and fridge and its even more

Since I have animals and don't want dead mice in the walls I went to the store and bought some Admiral Ackbar glue traps. Ackbar knows how to make a pretty mean trap and he did not disappoint. I baited the traps with the very candy bar they had eaten. I didn't think I'd get anything because there are TWO of those electronic ultrasonic pest deterrents in the kitchen.

Within the first 30 minutes I heard a noise in the kitchen. A brazen mouse had made a daring attempt with all the lights on. Sh even ate the chocolate!

I set another trap down in the same spots and turned out the lights. Not even 5 minutes later I caught this one.

I set another trap. I thought I heard a noise and ran out to the kitchen to see a mousy head poking out of the crack. I turned off my flashlight and he jumped onto the trap. So young...

Well that concludes my dinner pics for now! I'm sure I'll have some breakfast pics tomorrow!

9-3
Had a fourth mouse visit. This one was smarter and just barely put his paws on the trap and stretched out to eat the bait.

I have set out more bait and surrounded it with traps. Came home for work with no signs of visitation.

Got some vector T-Rex traps on the way home from work and baited with peanut butter. WHAT NOW, BITCHES?

After 30 minutes... a snap and some squeaking...

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Every refridgerator I've ever moved has crayons under it.  Even if there's no kids in the house.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a trap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you going to bacon wrap the mice before you cook them for breakfast?

Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing you've got alot more mice to catch.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#6]
That last one looks like Master Splinter.

Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Fail..................NO FIRE
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's a trap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ees a ham bush!
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I know they are pest and need to be removed from the house, I still think they are cute and would have trouble killing one...

:( for my lack of mouse prowess....
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#10]
just moved in?

didn't you have an inspection done?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#11]
So, are these traps single-use? Or do you whack 'em and peel them off to re-use?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a pet snake.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
just moved in?

didn't you have an inspection done?

Renting it. Its a good place. Doesn't even really need TLC. They didn't clean any more than I expected. The landlord is very interested and quick in helping to fix up anything that needs it and even told me to take money off next months payment for anything I do.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So, are these traps single-use? Or do you whack 'em and peel them off to re-use?

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Either I guess. They might not stick too well if something has already dirtied it up. thy are like $2 for 4 traps.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks tasty
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#17]
nice hunt
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#18]
single use. They stick pretty well. I usually take em out back, and put a pellet in their noggin. Then dump in the trash.

I grew up mostly in a farm house. The first 24 hours we moved in, we killed 13 mice.
after that, maybe one every 6 months or so. if that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Updated!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Glue trap + roofing hammer= WIN
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Since I have animals and don't want dead mice in the walls I went to the store and bought some Admiral Ackbar glue traps. Ackbar knows how to make a pretty mean trap and he did not disappoint. I baited the traps with the very candy bar they had eaten. I didn't think I'd get anything because there are TWO of those electronic ultrasonic pest deterrents in the kitchen.

-Foxxz

I understand the concerns of pets and having dead rodents in the walls, I had the same thoughts when I discovered rodents. I tried the glue traps, I tried the spring traps, I tried them all because I was afraid to put poisen out.
But no matter what I did I still had mice.

I decided there had to be a way to declare holy jihad on the little bastards without collateral pet damage. And I decided that I'd rather have a few dead rodents in the walls than many live rodents all over the house and barn.

This is what I went with and it has been a complete success:

www.tomcatbrand.com/product/11-mouse-bait-station
I went so far to screw them down so to the floor so that the dogs couldn't get them up and chew them, but you could just put them where the pets had no chance of getting to them.

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#22]
You are doing the right thing!

That is a lot of mice....Look like fun!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like that last mouse tried to 'squeeze off a round' when the trap snapped.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

I understand the concerns of pets and having dead rodents in the walls, I had the same thoughts when I discovered rodents. I tried the glue traps, I tried the spring traps, I tried them all because I was afraid to put poisen out.
But no matter what I did I still had mice.

I decided there had to be a way to declare holy jihad on the little bastards without collateral pet damage. And I decided that I'd rather have a few dead rodents in the walls than many live rodents all over the house and barn.

This is what I went with and it has been a complete success:
www.tomcatbrand.com/javascripts/tiny_mce/file_uploads/product_images/rodent_baits/BBSMouseN.jpg?1211233537
www.tomcatbrand.com/product/11-mouse-bait-station
I went so far to screw them down so to the floor so that the dogs couldn't get them up and chew them, but you could just put them where the pets had no chance of getting to them.

I have a husky and she will chew through anything. Even if she can't get to the poison there is a risk of secondary poisoning if she were to eat a poisoned mouse.

-Foxxz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top