Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2001 4:51:54 AM EDT
i heard this a while ago in gd. what is rocksalt ammo for shotguns? how does it work, what's it for, where would you use it? how accurate is it, taking into account relative accuracy of shotty over rifle.

OffRoad
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know a whole lot about it but since nobody else has responded, I'll tell you what I do know.

Rocksalt shells are sometimes used as a non-lethal defensive round.  Instead of lead/steal/tungsten shot, there is rock salt.  I'm not sure if there is a lighter powder load than normal shells.  Anyway, make no mistake about...this round can DEFINITELY be lethal.  I'm not sure, but I think they're illegal in many states because people do not understand the gravity of shooting someone with a rock salt shell.

Hope this helps.  If not, hopefully someone will correct me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#4]
In ohio you can still use a rock salt round in defence of your property on tresspassers. It couldbe lethal at close ranges. At 25 yds id would make someone look like they fell into a huge briar patch and it would burn like hell. My grandfather used to keep a shotgun loaded wiht the stuff by the front door.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]
This was an old American anti-vandal/crop thief load.  The idea was to cause extreme pain without actually killing the recepiant.  Farmers often kept shotguns loaded with this for late night kids trying to steal watermelons, ect.

I suspect that anywhere in American today, shooting somebody with rocksalt would be a guarenteed trip to jail, and a law suit that would certainly transfer ownership of your land to the "victum".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top