Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2001 8:30:55 PM EDT
There seems to be a lot of angry kids out there, and they appear to have gotten some kind of inspiration from the Santana High shooting. Take a look at this clip I lifted from MSNBC.com.

A TEEN girl shot a female classmate in the shoulder in the cafeteria of their parochial school but dropped the gun at the urging of another student, authorities said.
      A witness said the shooter fired at the floor and the bullet ricocheted into the victim, a classmate she had feuded with in the past.
      “This is a situation of a student who was upset with another student,” police officer David Ritter said. “This is not a random act of violence and as far as I understand there are no other targets for this violence.”
      The shooting happened around noon during lunch in the cafeteria filled with about 120 students at Bishop Neumann Junior-Senior High, a Roman Catholic school.
      Police said freshman Brent Paucke, 14, was able to persuade the girl to drop the gun. Paucke said he ducked under a lunchroom table when the girl came in screaming and fired two shots, but then recognized her from his school bus.
      “She was saying, ‘I don’t want to live. I should just commit suicide right here.’ And she pointed the gun at her head,” Paucke said. “I got up and started talking to her. I didn’t want anyone to get hurt.”
      Paucke said the girl pointed the gun at him from about five feet away, and his principal told him to back away. But he said he kept talking because he feared more people would be hurt.  
Advertisement

“You could tell she was really mad and she looked like she was about to go off on everybody,” Paucke said. He said the girl eventually placed the gun on the floor and he kicked it away.
      Freshman Andrew Miller, 16, said the girl’s second shot had hit the victim.
      “I saw her holding a gun, but I didn’t really know it was a gun,” he said. “She told everyone to get down. She fired towards the ceiling, then fired into the ground, which ricocheted and hit the girl in the shoulder.”
      Kimberly Marchese, 13, was in stable condition at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, authorities said.
      The shooting suspect was in police custody within four minutes, Ritter said. The girl in custody was being questioned and police said they did not yet know where she got the gun.

Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
continued from above:

ARRESTED FOR BOMB PLOT
      Authorities arrested a total of eight California students, in connection with a series of incidents that included alleged threats and an alleged plot to put a bomb on a teacher’s desk.  
Advertisement

In the desert town of Twentynine Palms, two 17-year-old boys were arrested at their homes Tuesday night on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder and civil rights violations.
      At one of the boys’ homes, deputies found a rifle. At the other, there was a list of 16 fellow students at Monument High that the pair planned to target, San Bernardino County sheriff’s spokesman Chip Patterson said. The teens’ motives were unknown.
      Police said they were tipped off by a classmate, who told her father she had overheard the boys discussing a hit list in recent weeks. She came forward after a student in suburban San Diego on Monday opened fire at his high school, killing two students and wounding 13 others.

IN OTHER INCIDENTS:
Authorities in Washington state arrested a student Wednesday for allegedly bringing a gun to Kentwood High School in suburban Seattle. The 15-year-old boy did not fire the gun but police shut down the school for more than an hour after apprehending him in a classroom in the Seattle suburb. The parent of one student at the school told a local TV station the suspect cocked the gun and pointed it at classmates, asking: “Who thinks I’m crazy?”
Three junior high school students in San Bernardino County were arrested Tuesday for threatening to place a bomb on a teacher’s desk, authorities said. Classmates at Woodcrest Junior High alerted the principal.
      The two 12-year-olds and a 13-year-old talked about the plot last week after one of the boys had a disagreement with a teacher, Ontario Detective Mike Macias said. But no bomb-making materials were found at their homes. Police said the boys cried and confessed during questioning.
At Perris High, in Perris, Calif., school guards Tuesday found a 4-inch knife in the backpack of Luis Benavides, 18, and he was arrested for investigation of possession of a weapon. Deputies found two rifles and ammunition at his home.
      “He made the comment that he needed help because he felt like killing somebody,” said sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Mark Lohman. “The teacher, in light of everything that’s going on, took this very seriously.”
In another arrest, a woman Tuesday was enrolling her son at the Perris Community Day School for troubled youth when, according to a sheriff’s report, a 14-year-old told an administrator: “If you make me come here, I’ll bring a gun and shoot the place up.” The boy was taken to a juvenile jail.
At Wheatland High, an hour north of Sacramento, a boy was arrested Tuesday after he allegedly threatened to bring a gun to school and kill people. He was released after authorities determined he did not have immediate access to guns.
Outside California, an 18-year-old was charged with assault Tuesday for allegedly threatening a school administrator via e-mail. Sara Elizabeth Turner, who was apparently angry over a graduation delay, was accused of telling the school board president in a Feb. 11 letter: “I will put you in so much pain that you will wish you were dead.”
In Camden, N.J., a 15-year-old honor student was arrested Tuesday for allegedly threatening to shoot members of a clique in wood shop class. Police said the boy, whose identity was not disclosed, may hav
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]
On the other hand tatoo look at all the incidents that were [i]stopped[/i] by other students.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Well no kidding, big surprise! you get abunch of alienated losers who haven't amounted to anything in any of their endeavours, not to mention made fun of! then you show them that by going postal you get on tv and everyone keeps repeating your name!...And bam! your instantly popular and a household word! I might add in the name of ratings! I'm sorry but the media is to balme for school shootings,not guns! you keep airing the incidents you just give other losers the idea to do it and get popular![:X*]
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#5]
One common trait in the kids with the plan to shoot indiscriminately or bomb the school seems to be that they talk about it first. That would seem to be like asking for help but if no one pays any attention to them then they just go ahead and do it.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 5:20:01 AM EDT
[#7]
As humans we are horrified by these school shootings.  As gun owners we are frustrated by them because we know the antis will use the deaths of children to further their unholy cause.  When we read of potential school shootings stopped we cheer.  But should we in today’s zero tolerance environment?

Imagine this, your kid goes to a high school basket ball game.  He or she gets into taunting the rival students and states, [b]“We are the bomb, you do not stand a chance, we are going to kick your ass”.[/b]  Your child has told the rival students that their team is better than their opponents and that they are going to win the game.  All students involved in the discussion understand the subject and the meaning.

Here is the rub.  A rival student not involved in the conversation overhears [b]“We’ve got a bomb, you do not stand a chance, we are going to kill your ass”.[/b]  This eavesdropping student quickly reports this ‘bomb threat’ to school officials.  The school declares a bomb threat and clears the building.

The eavesdropper fingers your kid to the cops when they show up to search for a bomb.  The police get a search warrant and show up at your home.  They search your home find an arsenal of assault weapons, thousands of round of ammunition, bomb making supplies (reloading powder) and subversive literature (the constitution and other saved threads and links on you computer).

With your stockpile of guns and ammunition and subversive literature you and your kid a re guilty until proved innocent.  The media is having a field day crucifying you and your kid.  The attorney general is looking for any little violation of gun laws to hang you with calling you a ‘militia member’ (a heinous crime worse than child molestation).

Here on this board all of us are thanking God that you and your little monster was stopped before he hurt someone.

[b]Zero Tolerance[/b]
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Even the Catholic schools arent safe anymore.
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess kids better not be saying "Someone set us up the bomb" at school or they will get arrested and their houses raided.
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Here are some more incidents from today, the 8th courtesy of Fox News:

A Wave of School-Related Threats Shocks Nation
Thursday, March 8, 2001  
 E-mail This Story
Authorities dealt with another wave of school-related threats Thursday, including a 14-year-old boy in Wisconsin who allegedly authored a hit list of 70 fellow students on a computer chat room.

The youth was taken into custody at Woodworth Junior High after the Fond du Lac County Sheriff's Department received an anonymous tip. The boy was released to his parents and referred to juvenile court, authorities said.

"Although the students interviewed believe the threat is harmless, we are taking the information very seriously," school principal Michael Nault said in a letter sent to students' parents and guardians.

Ever since Charles Andrew Williams allegedly killed two classmates and wounded 13 others Monday at his high school in suburban San Diego, parents and educators have witnessed a series of school-related threats.

Link Posted: 3/8/2001 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
continued from above:

Thursday brought more of the same:

— Police arrested a 17-year-old student for bringing a loaded handgun into Albany (N.Y.) High School. Jesse Temple allegedly stole the .22-caliber gun from a locked box in his father's house, police said. Temple's father is a state trooper.

Police said Temple apparently did not threaten anyone or indicate why he took the gun to school. The weapon was found in a locker with a box containing 17 rounds of ammunition.

— Several Bucks County, Pa., students were suspended from school after allegedly making violent threats.

Two children from Robert K. Shafer Middle School and one from Bensalem High School are accused of threatening to bring guns from home to shoot their classmates, Bensalem School District Superintendent James Watson Jr. said.

In nearby Bristol Township, police were investigating an alleged threat at Abraham Lincoln Elementary School, where a child allegedly threatened to shoot a classmate.

— Also in Pennsylvania, police in Upper Merion said a student has been arrested after confessing to taping a threatening note to a bathroom door inside the middle school. Police didn't release the suspect's name, age or gender.

— A 13-year-old boy was charged with inducing panic after officials at a middle school in Cincinnati found a list of names of 22 students and school officials who were supposedly the targets of a nuclear bomb.

The eighth-grade student was released to the custody of his parents pending an appearance in Hamilton County Juvenile Court on the misdemeanor charge.

— A student at Hialeah-Miami Lakes Senior High School was suspended and recommended for expulsion after making threats against a teacher and classmates, a school spokesman said.

— A call about a man with a rifle in a high school bathroom in Las Cruces, N.M., brought out 80-plus police officers and hundreds of panicked parents before authorities determined the call was a hoax, police said.

"It turned out to be a sick joke," said Las Cruces police spokesman Sgt. Joel Cano, who said police were considering whether to charge three teen-age boys in the incident at Onate High School.

Link Posted: 4/4/2001 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#12]
2 school shootings - within a few miles and a few days of each other - conclusions:

1) Santana High School:

Unarmed security guard encounters shooter after first shots fired (one dead, one wounded). He is unable to respond with equal force. Result: He is shot 3 times in the back as he attempts to escape the restroom and the shooter is able to reload 4 times, expend in excess of 30 rounds total and kill one more and wound 11 more before he surrenders. Shooter dominates...

2) Granite High School:

Armed SRO (school resource officer) is on duty and in an area restroom when shooter opens fire. He is able to respond and wound the shooter with 2 shots - one in the mouth/jaw (a wound that would deter most of us) and one in the rear section. Result: only a few wounded and NO fatalities - shooter as well as other aspiring little cowards learn a valuable lesson.

Should we arm qualified school security personel and perhaps other staff in US schools? Ask the Israelis if they have had much trouble with this type of thing in their schools since arming teachers and administrators many years ago.....

I rest my case [8]

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was in school, I never once thought of taking a firearm to my classmates.  I was too busy thinking about sex, and how to get some.

Ok, that and trying to find a beer buyer.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top