Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2001 12:36:57 PM EDT
I'm kompyooter illiterate, so I'll ask....

I am told Windows Xp will obsolesce ALL previous application software. Like Office 97, and pretty much everythiung else I have on my home computer.

Is this true???

Thanks for your help, and feel free to forward me your Bible questions.

[:D]

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a Linux or Mac user's vengeful untruth[:D]

The only thing that you're likely to lose as far as software are ancient win95 and DOS programs, and 3rd party utilities software, such as Norton Systemworks.

I kept my extensive library of software(100+ programs of all ages and descriptions) up and running, with the sole exception of Norton(and I knew about that one).

Office '97 works just fine too.

Go ahead and upgrade, and then go turn all of the silly XP visual settings off, especially unde rthe system properties, set it for performance, not appearance. It's quite the compatible powerhouse once you tone down the feel-good look.

Bible questions, too, will also be referred to you. What, for example, is your stance on the Apocrypha? Canon or add-on? They strike me as different, somehow, but then, so does Revelations.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanx Juggernaut.

I believe it was the Council of Nicea that decided on the official "canon" of 66 books. Therefore, the Apocrypha is non-canonical, and generally not regarded as "inspired" as are the other 66. At least that is what the Baptists tell me.  [:D] Besides, I don't really need MORE than 66 books of stuff to do and not do. [BD]

Revelation is NOT fully revealed, and is largely picturesque in nature. My take on Revelation is that when the stuff it foretells ACTUALLY HAPPENS, Revelation will then become useful to tell what is of God, and what is not. Frankly, Revelation makes my head hurt. (The problem largely being in my head [BD]  )

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Oops....

When I saw the "X" in "XP" I mistakenly thought this was the New and Improved Babe of the Day thread!

Sorry..  I'll be crawling under my rock again.

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Office 97 "should" work fine.
I just emailed you.
YOu can email me if you have any questions.
Scratch
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:48:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it is true garandman.  Microsoft will stop technical support of the older OS and that will also include Windows 2000 in near future.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:57:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, when I installed Windows xp, all the programs continued to run the same, even my Words 95 program.

The problem was with the hardware!

I still cannot get my Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet T45 to act as a printer, and this is after spending an hour and a half on the phone with a Hewlett-Packard service technician! We must have uninstalled and reinstalled the patch I downloaded from their site twenty times, but to no avail.

It still functions as a fax, scanner and copier, but if I try to use it as a printer it comes up 'necessary driver missing'!

So I simply put an H-P DeskJet 832, that I'd previously been using, on as my default printer. And it works fine!

But in the future, any hardware or software you buy needs to be approved for Windows xp!

Eric The(YouLive,YouLearn...Hopefully)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:04:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Now for [b]my[/b] take on the Apocrypha, it's really pious and inspired writing (with a small 'i'), but since the books were never quoted by Christ or the apostles, or any of the writers of the New Testament, it is not the Inspired Word of God. IMHO, and in the HO of the Kings James Scholars, Luther, etc.

And Revelation is a two-fold prophetic work - it was prophetic for the Christians of the First Century, as well as those of the Last Century, whenever that might be!

Hell, we might even be in the last Century, or the last Decade, Year, Month, Week or Day!

Eric The(PrayForThePeaceOfJerusalem!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:29:47 AM EDT
[#8]
What Eric said is very true.  This is a well known problem with Microsoft, not all the hardware work with Windows XP. Each Microsoft OS from Win95 to Win2000 use different what we called hardware drivers, printer drivers or video drivers. Since XP is relatively new, there might not have all the drivers release yet for all the printers.  So what Eric did is a smart thing, try to find a driver that work with his printer until the real driver is release.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top