Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2001 12:18:42 PM EDT
I found this on the N.Y.P.D. website...

I think highly of N.Y.P.D.
but someone put this onthe site and it makes me wonder where else it has been posted...billboards, news, newspappers, local t.v.

and wonder when one shot got picked up if this is what the person who called in was thinking about???
they might have been thinking gun and not handgun.

[img]http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/nypd/pix/misc/wantedgun-b.gif[/img].
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmm.....

Someone should call and ask the just how one would know if a [hand]gun were illegal.

Do we use [U]E[/U]xtra [U]S[/U]ensory [U]P[/U]erception, Elfin Magic, or VooDoo!

or perhaps, it just "looks illegal".....

Sorta reminds me of Mazda's slogan, "It just feels right" or something like that....
(I wonder how many contaccted HIV thinking like that!)

What the F__k ever!

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Well you have to remember that, thanks to the Sullivan Act, if it's a handgun and in NYC, it's illegal. There are very, very, very few privately license handguns in NYC. Only the rich and connected could/can get a permit.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope the names are recorded and made public so when the people get out of jail, they know exactly who to come and thank.  Seems like it can't be totally anonymous--lots of public records laws allow people to obtain information like that.  Not very smart to go snitching on others.  Not very smart at all.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
You mean theres a difference between a gun and a handgun?    Uh-Oh, I owe quite a few people an apology!!

(That was a joke for those of you who are slow)
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a thread about a similar program a while back.  Perhaps it was even this one.

As I recall, the anonymous caller would get a code number they could use to call back later and find out if they qualified for the reward.  

If so, they could then make 'confidential' arrangements to pick up their reward.  I forget what, if any, safeguards against false information there were.  My gut tells me there weren't any - a malevolent person could call the number from a pay phone with no intention of collecting a reward, make a phony report, and never be heard from again.   And the vitim would be subjected to what?

Now suppose they instead reported he saw a guy at such & such address put a sniper rifle into (or take out of) his trunk.  Whether or not it was in a case.  Would the PD respond or not? This is unclear.

If you think about it, the real difference with such a program is that it encourages people to 'innocently'  report their neighbor's or ex's legal firearms.  "Oops!", they can say.

Without a program like this, you can still have phony anonymous reports, if that's the caller's intention.

To me, one big question is how carefully do the police screen these calls before dispatching?

If they do nothing on non-handguns, that's one thing.  But it just sounds like an enabling program for pissed-off liberals & soccer moms, or soreheads who got into a road rage incident when they should have backed off and swallowed their pride.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I just turned in Hunduh, can't wait to get my $500 so I can get a new upper.  Thanks man. [;D]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just turned in Hunduh, can't wait to get my $500 so I can get a new upper.  Thanks man. [;D]
View Quote

Yep, this could be a problem for the non-uniformed/off-duty L.E.'s.  It might be readily resolved, but could be a real pain in the butt after it happens to the same one 3 times, not to mention a bit of risk.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I turn myself in at around this time of year to collect on the $$$ too! I wonder if IA will ever figure it out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn't Hitler have a similar program. It was called the Hitler Juntgen or in English Hitler Youth. The Nazis indoctrinated this same crap into their subjects. They had Children snitching on Parents when they were through.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly, I have never seen this take place in my Precinct.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope if any scumbag doe make a phony call, they do it from their home phone,  then they'll get a little surprise from their 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top