Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2001 9:52:33 AM EDT
Kind of self-explanatory.  Boots are Danner High Country's and appear to be high quality.  Something tells me that Kiwi is not the answer here.  Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Are they soft or hard leather?

Kiwi doesn't really have much in the way of boot products, are you looking for scuff removal, sealant, or refinishing?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for the lack of info.  The boots are new, so I'm thinking in terms of something to aid in the break-in process, and keep the leather (fairly thick) conditioned to promote long life.  They are Gore-Tex lined, so I'm not worried about keeping my feet dry, just keeping the leather in good shape, and taking care of abbrasions as they happen.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I usually use Kiwi and keep them clean. If you get into mud and stuff, get it off as soon as practicle. A good brush works well if it has dried. The grit tears up the stitching and wears on the leather. If they get wet, let them dry completley before you use them again, and coat them in wax once they dry, to prevent cracking. Vaseline or saddle soap helps if you start seeing cracks in the leather. You could also put some "wet-pruf" also made by Kiwi on them. It helps to seal the leather.

Just a few tips I learned in the Army.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Smokycity took my answer and added more.

Ditto.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#5]
You've got some good advice so far.  The only things I want to add are 1.)If at all possible, don't let mud/dirt dry on them.  Hose 'em off before you come inside & get all that junk off of 'em.  2.)Dry them at room temperature.  Don't put them on top of a register, by the fireplace or someplace similar.  Both of these tips will really extend the life of your boots & keep the leather from rotting & cracking.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I always use SNOW SEAL.  Works great but it does discolor the leather a bit but it keeps my tootsies warm and dry.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Danner sells its own line of boot care products.  The use of any other products will void the warranty.  When I contacted Danner, they specifically said not to treat my boots with Snow Seal or oils.  See the accessories at: [url]www.danner.com[/url].
Shipping is free.  I think you need boot dressing for the leather ($6) and the cleaning gel for the cordura (if you have it - $8).  You can e-mail Danner ([url][email protected][/url]) and ask which specific products would be appropriate for your boots.  As you would expect, their customer service is pretty good.

-imp
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I use some stuff called Obernauffs Heavy Duty LP (leather protectant). I get mine from a local Red Wing shoe store. It's a paste, smells like beeswax and pine tar, but keeps my feet dry in unlined heavy hikers, and keeps the leather real soft. You apply it by hand, leaving a thick coat, and then use a hair dryer to heat it up and help it soak into the leather. Even after the leather appears "dry" water still beads up on this stuff, and I wear my boots every day. Supposedly invented by a Forest Service firefighter that used to work in caustic fire-retardant chemicals, snow, heat, ash, all the nasty stuff.

I'm happy with this stuff, and I'll be buying more.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Better follow the mfg's instructions.  GoreTex breaths, so watch out how you treat your boots.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#10]
don;t put shoe polish (kiwi) on your gore-tex boots!!! it's clogs the pours and doesn't allow the gore-tex to breath. this makes your boots into rubber boots.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I use stuff called Pecard leather care.  It's available in paste and liquid form.  IT is a conditioner and waterproofer.  There are no petroleum products to dry out and prematurely age your leather in it.  A lot of Civil war reenactors use it for their leather goods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top