Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2001 9:13:20 AM EDT
I was looking to upgrade our nt 4 server to win 2000- is this an easy upgrade or is it more trouble than its worth?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#1]
As always, make sure you do a complete backup of everything before initiating the backup.  What I remember of upgrading wasn't too bad, but it's been a while.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I did a few nt to win2k servers.  After looking at everything, I went with the fresh install.  Less headaches in the long run, plus you get those old nt .dll's out of there. Yes, NT sticks around after a win2k upgrade in someways.

Make sure data is backed up.  If it is just a file or print server, fresh is better.  Even did a exchange 5.5. server that way also, But we had a other exhchage server to move the boxes to and from.  

Some software out there, you need to do a upgade, a new install might not work on win2k.

Good luck
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I do server tech support for one of the Industry 800lb Gorillas. Take my word for it, and avoid an OS upgrade. Just do a fresh installation, after you back your data up. It'll save you some grief.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely fresh install, Win2k might be NT5, but it doesn't get along when upgraded.  Is this for office or home?  Somethings are worth the trouble.  Its a bit more secure.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Serious planning need to be done before going to Win2K.  Did you set up and carefully plan for your Active Directory Services tree yet? You can do fresh Win2k install to replace the regular NT servers but you have to do an upgrade for your Main Primary Domain NT server just to avoid to type back in the users names, rights and passwords. But If you have only 5 users to worry about then big deal, do a fresh install.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Screw Active Directory. [:D]  More trouble than it is worth.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Screw Active Directory.  More trouble than it is worth.

View Quote

For all of you Novell Netware gurus out there, it's the same concept as the Netware NDS (Netware Directory Services). It's a pain in the butt and if you don't want to mess around with it, then why migrate to Win2k?  Stay with NT 4.0 then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top