Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2001 7:50:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I understand, Brouhaha.

But a man has to do what a man has to do.

Don't let it suffer anymore...

ARSwami

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Vets suck when it comes to prices. My wife's cat cost over $300 to put down. Included was:

The shot
An "individual" creamation
A sympathy card (later sent to her)
A donation to a pet cemetary

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sorry about the ferret. They are really cool. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't quibble about the price. They can charge what they want. What I can't understand is why they charge more if you are in the room. The only way to do it is to hold them in your arms when they administer the shot. That's what I did for my dog.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#4]
This may sound harsh to some, but I recommend taking the most personal yet dignified course of action.  Put the animal down yourself.

It is bad enough that the poor animal must suffer with the cancer, why make it go through the cold-hearted indignity of having some un-caring stranger inject it with poison?

This may be hard for you to swallow, but I think if you consider this idea, and your own psychological well being, you will come to the conclusion that this way is best.

Many years ago, when I was a teenager I had to put down a family dog of 11 years.  No doubt it was a very difficult thing to do.  But in retrospect, I do not regret the action I took, and I have the psychological comfort of knowing that my dog went out in a respectful, loving, and dignified way.

[soapbox]

[PS  FYI to all, don't bother asking for more details.]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#5]
not trying to be unfeeling, callous, or rude, but have you considered doing it yourself?
I had a pet that had to go down, once.  We went up to the top of a hill, I sat with her for a while, watched the sun start to set, put her out of her misery, then buried her in the backyard.  I felt this was better for both of us than having it done in a hospital.  When I go, I'd like it to be at home.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#7]
My condolences.  Losing a pet is really tough.  Had to have a dog we've had for 16 years put down last year.  The wife and I stayed in the room when it was being done - really tough to watch but hopefully more comforing for the pet.

Regardless, I see no reason it should cost more with you in the room.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's not easy to put such a small animal down yourself and keep it clean.  I also don't have anyplace to go where a gunshot wouldn't be noticed.  And I don't think it would be too easy to wring a ferret's neck...they are far to limber.  At least the shot is painless, nd I can hold her while she passes quietly.
View Quote

Brouhaha, sorry about your ferret.  Did you check with Countryside on 1960?  They're just East of I-45N on 1960 about two miles, and they do good work at a decent price.  I know their shot prices and neuter fees were lower than everyone else in our area and the cost of the shot for my wife's maimed cat was like $35.  Even with all the extensive internal work they did to try and save him it was only $115, including the shot.  The only thing I don't know is if they take ferrets or not.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Doh!  My wife just called back to say that she spoke with Countryside and they don't do ferrets (apparently one of their employees is allergic).

However, Suburbia North which is just across 1960 from Countryside handles all sorts of animals.  My mother-in-law's neighbor had a squirrel that she found injured worked on their.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Brouhaha

I have had to put down family pets in the past and I feel its my duty to do it....some may not agree. My dogs hate the vet!!! I guess its the smell or something...we have to drag him in the door. Not a good place in his mind I'm sure.
You could wrap the litle fella in a towel an a 22 to the back of the head. No mess with the towel....My wifes ferret had the same problem about 5 years ago. It was sad but we did not want her to suffer any more.
Hard thing to do.......
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I agree with what others here have said about doing it yourself. Normally I would go to a vet, but I would not want the type of person that would take advantage of these types of situations to get anywhere near any of my animals for ANY procedure; even if it is this. This vet sounds like the type of person that, if they were a MD, would wait until your grandmother was flatlining and then try to hagle with you over the cost of treatment. You said shooting the animal is too messy and loud, but have you thought about poison? Someone here probably knows of something that you could get a hold of that would be relatively painless and humane. The best I can come up with is sleeping pills, but I don't know if that would be effective or not.

Kyle
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#12]
There is a better silent way to put down a small animal.  CO2.  Get a couple CO2 cartridges from walmart(the kind for airguns).  Very cheap.  CO2 is heavier that O2 and N2, so it will fill a bucket.  Place the pet in a bucket, then pierce the CO2 cartridge, and fill up the bucket.  They will slowly fall to sleep, and then die.  No pain, noise, mess or expense.  Just keep your head out of the bucket until you air out the room once the pet is deceased.  Otherwise you will get dizzy and want to pass out(if YOU feel the effects(dizziness), just leave the area back to clean air).

I have used this method to put down rats and mice for feeding reptiles.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[b]It's done[/b]

Thanks for the other options guys.  I was able to find another vet that was half the cost, and they let me hold her while she passed.  I think this has got the be the hardest thing I've ever done.  [>(]
View Quote

Brouhaha, all I can say is that I'm genuinely sorry. I would be howling in tears if it were my dog. God bless your pet(soul or not, He cares), and you.[:(]

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm sorry to hear about your beloved pet.  She's a cutie & I'm sure is in Ferret heaven having a grand old time!

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#16]
My condolences on the loss of your friend brouhaha.

I had to my cat of 9 years down last Feb. It sure was tough, knowing it was the thing to do didn't help much. I was proud of my daughter (12), she didn't have to go but she wouldn't be left behind.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#17]
My heart goes out to you. My wife and I have two ferrets and dote on them. We are so sorrowed for you in this time of loss. During some home remodeling, our first ferret, Doofey, got out and the neighbor's dog killed him. My wife and I were devistated. I buried my favorite pet and we we were not going to replace the pets as they died.Our ggod friends surprised us about 2 weeks later with a new little ferret named Dart. We were amazed that we needed another ferret and were somewhat ready that fast. After about 2months we were buying food and toy's at a local pet store and found another ferret that my wife had to have. His name is Max, but he is called 'little man'. Dart and Little Man came up on my desk when I was reading your thread, and stole a Snicker's bar from the bag.[:D]

We've been where you are and you have our heartfelt condolensces. We can't even think of our lives without a ferret or two runnig around. The wife even made me remodel part of the house to give them more room to run.

Our advice is to grieve for an appropriate period, then get another or two.

E-mail me with anything I can help with

Matt and Margie
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry you had to go through all this, bro, and even sorrier that someone tried to cash in on it. Take care of yourself.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#19]
At least now that she's gone, she'll be healthy enough to do the "ferret dance" again!  That cracks me up!  
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#21]
brouhaha,
I kinda of know what you are going through right now. My lab got out when part of the fence blew over. He was hit by a car three days ago. I didn't even know he was out of the yard. He was there when I wnet to bed and dead before I left for work.
The hardest part for me was telling and comforting the kids.
SCratch out
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Losing a pet is like losing a family member. Remember that she is not suffering anymore. I think most of us have been there. Still remember my schnauzer Max[>(]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#24]
sorry for your loss....a pet does become a member of the family.  Only time will help the pain

medcop
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Vets suck when it comes to prices. My wife's cat cost over $300 to put down. Included was:

The shot
An "individual" creamation
A sympathy card (later sent to her)
A donation to a pet cemetary

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sorry about the ferret. They are really cool. Good luck.
View Quote

Hey...  You don't mind if I tell everyone at work about the cat, do ya?

What would Tony say?

Meow ! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Deepest sympathies about your ferret, Brouhaha;  she was adorable.

(After reloading the page a few times so I saw the later posts: )
If you have access to syringes (a diabetic friend, or in a rural area that sells veterinary syringes over-the-counter), my understanding (perhaps wrong) is that the "lethal injection" that prisons use is just KCl (potassium chloride) and some anaesthetic.  The potassium, in sufficient amounts, causes the heart to stop.  KCl is (or at least was, a couple of years ago) sold in grocery stores as a "salt substitute" for people with high blood pressure who had to cut back on their sodium intake.

The dificulty would be finding a vein.  Also, the more readily-available syringe needles tend to be huge, probably too large for such a small animal -- a friendly diabetic might be able to give you a small insulin syringe, though.

Any docs/vets/medics around who can confirm this?  What would be the right concentration and dosage (say, per pound of animal, so it could be scaled for cats or dogs if people needed)?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#29]
The monday before Thanksgiving my son had to have his ferret of almost nine years - Houdini, put to sleep. She too had a large cancerous tumor and had gone both deaf and blind and lost almost all her hair. She only knew us by our scent. The vet he went to only charged $65 for the exam and the shot. My son was able to hold her during those final moments and sit with her afterwards for as long as he needed. They provided him with a nice box to bring her home in for burial. I had some rectangles of concrete from some work being done where I work and we buried here using one of them for a headstone. My condolences for your loss. I know ours brought us both many years of companionship and happiness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top