Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 11:07:17 PM EDT
Hi,

I'm trying to get recommendations for a good pack and thought you guys would be good people to ask.  I'm trying to assemble a 3-day pack, moreso an earthquake kit than anything else.  I have several questions and considerations I guess I can ask in a list format.

1.  A hydration system is required.  I know that in an earthquake kit, you're more sitting at home waiting for the utilities to be turned on more than anything else, but if I get stranded on the freeway and need to hike home, I rather not fumble with a plastic Arrowhead water bottle.  Sames goes if I want to go backpacking or hiking with the thing.

2. I don't have any experience with water filters.  Should I pack one anyway?  Right now I have 3 gallons (one gallon per day) of Aqua Literz in my pack (my old school pack) and it's taking up lots of space and weight.  FYI I live in a densely populated urban environment.  Is there a compact solution for water treatment?  This is an urban pack, not a head-for-the-hills pack.

3. The pack will also double as a camping rig, so I'd like to have a sleeping bag attachment.  Modular attachment panels would be nice, too.

I've looked on Blackhawk's web page, some of their packs look pretty nice.  I'm also looking at Eagle Industries.  Since I don't really like the  commando look, I've been looking at Camelbak's civilian offerings, but they seem kind of small for my requirements.  Right now I'm leaning towards either Blackhawk's 3-day pack or Phoenix pack, with the side panels and the sleeping bag compression baggie.  How do these military-type packs compare to the more consumer-oriented packs?  I've heard of Gregory but haven't seen the web site.

Any recommendations?  Not trying to start a brand-x war, I just want some good info on a nice, solid pack.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Gregory makes high end camping gear.  I've seen their bags averageing around 300 dollars.

If you are getting a water filtration system, go for a purifier, not just a filter.  Yes, in the US for the most part you'll only need a filter, but for the extra 20 bucks you can have peace of mind, and have a filtration system that you can use overseas.  Iodine tablets aren't that bad of an idea also (As a back up).  That and a Naglean bottle and you're all set.

My friend has the BH 3 day assault pack and I was also thinking of getting one.  It looks like a regular bag backpack.  It holds a 70 water resoviour, so that with the water purifier and empy Naglean bottle should be fine for your water needs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at REI.com. They've got a great selection of packs.

I like the halfdome (I've got an older model). It's great for day hikes, and I just keep it, with some gear, water and hiking boots in the car. In a pinch I could John Wayne it for an overnight, which is fine by me. I think the smaller pack is more generally useful.

If you want a bigger pack take a look at their climbing packs. The civilian packs have it all over the military stuff on price and performance.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I do 6-7 weekends a year, least one long trip, did a lot more in college and my light pack, a Dana Bomb, is still working fine after 8 years. Its been stitched a couple places, but due to snags and clumsiness not pack failure. Dana, Arc Teryx, Gregory, Lowe, Kelty ,amongst others, all make good stuff.

Most of the Military packs Ive seen dont seem to be real sophisticated and on the heavy side. The 3 day on Blackhawks web makes no mention of suspension, so it may have none. As long as it isnt overloaded, it will do, but wouldnt be my choice and may not be so comfortable. But I dont think you'd be anything but overloaded with that pack.

You indicated you hope not to be walking much, but given that you've got 3 gallons of water already (at 8.3 lbs plus container) thats about the total packweight I see on 3 days (20-25lbs). I dont think the pack I saw will handle 35 pounds, about the least I can figure with additions. It looks a bit small for your use as well, 2200 cu.in. doenst go far.

Maybe drop by a GOOD backpacking store. Let the folks know your parameters (weight, use, etc.) and they might be able to point out some suitable packs. I think maybe a Dana Bomb or Bridger or an Arc Teryx Bora size. They'd go about double the cost, but I'd think you'd be happier if you intended to use these for some hiking as well. Nothing worse than having a pack too small and overloaded.

As far as water, 3 gallons will go a long way for one person. Most packs have hydration pocket of some kind. Its easy enough to rig one if not. I always have Iodine tabs on me (Potable Aqua) and Vit C tabs to rid the Iodine taste. Ask about filters at the Camp store they can give you the scoop.

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep your bag packed and your rifle loaded.....also full tank of gas in the SUV, formula for the baby.....seriously it is a good idea, never know when you have to get out. If I wasn't going to fight crime now I would list mine.....
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Keep your bag packed and your rifle loaded.....also full tank of gas in the SUV, formula for the baby.....seriously it is a good idea, never know when you have to get out. If I wasn't going to fight crime now I would list mine.....
View Quote

Hehehe actually FYI I don't even keep my guns loaded, mainly out of consideration to the roommate.  The long gun is locked up, ammo stored separately.  I'm not trying to assemble a Doomsday bag or anything, just want something that will fit my needs.  I don't consider myself a survivalist.  I don't even know how to start a fire.

That being said, I did some thinking, and I don't think the hydration system is a requirement anymore.  I'm sure I could stop for a drink.  I also decided that I WON'T use the pack for backpacking.  I'll use it for softcore camping (pulling up to the spot, kicking open the tent and getting the marshmallows out) but for backpacking I'll probably use a more specialized piece of equipment.

Where are you guys looking for the civilian gear?  It seems the Blackhawk stuff is cheaper than the Gregory sets by about $50 or so.  ($250 for their pack plus compression bag and side panel accessories, opposed to the $299 quoted by Vinnie).

I'm also considering a big Jansport bag.  Their bags have served me well K through 12.

As for the Johnny Cash CDs, I only have one, but he IS on an Earl Scruggs album I have, so will that do?

How important is that frame?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Try out [url]http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=8000&cgrfnbr=4500001&stat=7747a#backpacks[/url]

The equivalents of the "three day" packs (listed under rucksacks) look like they run around $100. The halfdome is a steal at $50 for 2,200 ci, but to my eye the colors look dopey now. The daypacks are in the $100 price range. With some intelligent packing and as long as you're not attempting to survive a winter night in Nome, you can do fine--a sweater, some garbage bags (poor man's rain gear), a hat, and a little food, water, compass, cash, change, lighter, and a few other things you can hoof it for two or three days. You won't be very comfortable, but you can do it. It can also be light enough that you can just grab this and go for any day hikes. (you need the exercise anyway.)

I keep one in the car for pretty much the same reasons you list--if I break an axle somewhere out on some logging road or get stuck in a natural disaster, in the worst case I can walk 30-50 miles to where I need to be.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where are you guys looking for the civilian gear?  It seems the Blackhawk stuff is cheaper than the Gregory sets by about $50 or so.  ($250 for their pack plus compression bag and side panel accessories, opposed to the $299 quoted by Vinnie).
View Quote

Arc Teryx or Dana mentioned above would run you $180 plus a good Granite Gear compresser, $20, so $200 roughly. You wouldnt need any side panels, as you'd have plenty of main compartment room. I thought that Blackhwak 3 day pack was $99. Maybe Im looking at the wrong pack.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Gregory makes quite a few bags.  I said averaged 300.  They actually had, for a limited time only, an under 200 dollar bag at EMS.

I already have a few Civy camping bags, one for up to 4 days and one for week long trips into the woods.  Personally I'm looking to get the Blackhawk 3 day assault bag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top