Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 2:31:42 PM EDT
Well since the local jokers at the computer shop took my laptop that had a loose conection on the power input jack and proceeded to destroy it.  So far they wiped out the hardrive (Had to replace it - lost everything) they have had it for 2 months; now the have destroyed the monitor they are trying to "source" one.  Which I guess means searching computer wrecking yards.  A couple of weeks ago before I left for hunting; a kid brought into the Pawn Shop a NIB Dell Dimension 4300 (It had arrived that morning UPS that his uncle had bought for him for college) It came with a scanner that is on Ebay now.  I gave him $400 for it - great deal for me bad deal for the uncle.  

HEHE - I love it when a plan comes together.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Stand back! Here come the Dell flames!
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Wonder what kind of drugs the kid was going to get?  VERY GOOD DEAL!
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#3]
dammit....thats a GOOD deal.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry.

Should have gotten a TiBook.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Too bad you are not getting the warrantee with it. A dell computer is only a computer but the Dell service is what makes it such a great deal. No matter, for $400 bucks you did pretty damn well. The kid who sold it should have his ass kicked though. What a POS!
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I guess a even a Dell can be worth $400.
SSD [V]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Too bad you are not getting the warrantee with it. A dell computer is only a computer but the Dell service is what makes it such a great deal. No matter, for $400 bucks you did pretty damn well. The kid who sold it should have his ass kicked though. What a POS!
View Quote

What makes you think I am "not getting the warrantee with it"?  I got the warranty with it when I registered it.

Damn, someone needs to come up with a smiley talking out its ass!
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh now I remember the reason I don't sell things to pawn shop owners.

They always fuck you at the drive through.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, I hope it works out for you.

I've always built my own.  That way I CONTROL what goes into it and not some huge conglomerate that got the best deal on company XYZ's third rate video card.  Video card?  Oh, that's right, most big companies buy motherboards with the video on the motherboard and not in a card.  That way if the video ever goes out you have to buy a new motherboard.  

Not sure if Dell does this or not.  I know Packed-Shit (Packard-Bell) used to.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope Dell is treating you better than I. I work part-time for Dell unloading their trucks. I know now what it means to be treated like an aminal.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm sorry.

Should have gotten a TiBook.

[smoke]
View Quote

Ditto!

Macs Rule!

PS. A TiBook is the new Titanium PowerBook G4 from Apple for those who don't know.[url]http://www.apple.com/powerbook[/url]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Everyone needs a laptop made from Titanium!

- Maybe mine would still be working..........?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Damn, someone needs to come up with a smiley talking out its ass!
View Quote

Someone just did.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#18]
first off, find the Transfer of Ownership form on the Dell website.  Forgot the direct URL, if I were at work, I could find it quick.  Hope you got the kid's name, because from what I recall, we check with the original purchaser to make sure they did actually sell it, and that it was not stolen.  "I bought it at a pawn shop" usually means it was stolen!  

GUNSNOB:  Dell's a great company to work for.  I'm willing to bet unloading trucks for ANY company sucks ass.  YMMV

TRW:  Some of the lower end systems had onboard video, which does suck ass.  I don't support our Dimensions, but I do support our Precision Workstations.  NO onboard video cards there.  Sure, we sell some cheesy video cards, but we do sell some pretty badass ones, too.  The better thing about an OEM machine is the warranty.  Three years parts (parts and labor optional, and on Workstations, you can even get a 4 hour onsite warranty).  Building your own box, a year later, something fails, you're screwed.  Not knocking homebuilt machines... I intend to start building one next year.  Gonna try to get that Adaptec IDE RAID card and set me up a RAID 5 with some ATA-100 drives.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#19]
i have a dell inspiron 4000.  I have had it about a year now.  Have had several problems and glitches with it.  I think the problems were mainly caused by the operating system (windows ME) except for one.  The hard drive went out a month or so ago.  It was swiftly replaced under warranty.  The dell techs just ask a few general troubleshooting questions and.....BAMM!  Hard drive was at my door step the next morning via air express.  However, the  next time i buy a computer it will be another IBM.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I just got a Pentium 4-1.4GHz machine from
pc-beyond.com for $450.  I hope it is good.  No matter what it will beat the crap out of my current PII-350.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#21]
A friend of mine got a Dell system a week ago. It was DOA (dead on arrival). The video card seems to be the problem. After several calls it still isn't working.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a Dell server tech (e-support), and if you have a service tag, you have a warranty. If you have a warranty, you have coverage. Dell hardware is about the same as anywhere else, but the service is worth it. You may have to jump a hoop or two to change the registration, but I think you'll be happy. I have a Dell, and have no complaints.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Apple, Now there is a company that just won't die. Someone please put them out of their misery or put them on an OS that will make them competitive.
View Quote

You are right. Apple won't die. The users refuse to let them.

BTW, have you seen OSX? It is definitely competitive. Here's a screen shot:

[img]http://www.muyfa.com/matthewbutch/Pictures/Misc/screensm.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.muyfa.com/matthewbutch/Pictures/Misc/screen.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm a Dell server tech (e-support), and if you have a service tag, you have a warranty. If you have a warranty, you have coverage. Dell hardware is about the same as anywhere else, but the service is worth it. You may have to jump a hoop or two to change the registration, but I think you'll be happy. I have a Dell, and have no complaints.
View Quote

dude, you're probably in my building.  I'm in RR7 central, in the Precision Workstation queue, where U at?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apple, Now there is a company that just won't die. Someone please put them out of their misery or put them on an OS that will make them competitive.
View Quote

You are right. Apple won't die. The users refuse to let them.

BTW, have you seen OSX? It is definitely competitive.
View Quote

Ya, very competitive, except for the fact that noone uses it.  Sorry, when only 2 or 3 percent of the world use mac it's about the stupidest thing in the world to go that route.  If you want a server/workstation go with a unix/linux based machine.  If you want the widest variety of software or the cheapest computer go with a windows based machine.  Mac is the worst of both worlds.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

dude, you're probably in my building.  I'm in RR7 central, in the Precision Workstation queue, where U at?
View Quote

Just around the corner, up by the north end. Look for the esupport team.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Hewlett-Packard customer relations sucks. Gotta go eat, or I would really FLAME these guys.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I like Dells, almost always recommend them to my clients.  Dell support, why, that's a different story.  SNIPPITY SNIP SNIP.
View Quote

Yikes. I'm sorry you had such a crappy experience with our support. I won't try and make excuses, but I think we just grew too fast, and hired too many techs back when the economy was booming. Hire them, train them, hand them a rifle and send them to the front. If you've ever worked in a massive phone support environment, you know that turnover is high, and morale can be low, especially after a round of layoffs. That's true anywhere.

Unfortunately, now the Powers That Be are mainly in a cost-cutting mood, and it's had an effect. If you think we're bad, our competition can be much, much worse. We are still one of the best in the industry overall, but I don't feel like we are as good as we should be. Again, I apologize. Despite there being 300 gazillion Dell tech support guys, I still take it personally.

If you want reliable support for a server, contact Dell's E-Support, there's not many of us, and we are tight.

http://support.dell.com/us/en/emaildell/

Ask for me, Andrew. I'm an "AR15-dot-Com"-munist [:)] and while I don't know everything there is to know about everything, I know where and how to find out anything there is to know about anything, given a few minutes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like Dells, almost always recommend them to my clients.  Dell support, why, that's a different story.  SNIPPITY SNIP SNIP.
View Quote

Yikes. I'm sorry you had such a crappy experience with our support. I won't try and make excuses, but I think we just grew too fast, and hired too many techs back when the economy was booming. Hire them, train them, hand them a rifle and send them to the front. If you've ever worked in a massive phone support environment, you know that turnover is high, and morale can be low, especially after a round of layoffs. That's true anywhere.

Unfortunately, now the Powers That Be are mainly in a cost-cutting mood, and it's had an effect. If you think we're bad, our competition can be much, much worse. We are still one of the best in the industry overall, but I don't feel like we are as good as we should be. Again, I apologize. Despite there being 300 gazillion Dell tech support guys, I still take it personally.

If you want reliable support for a server, contact Dell's E-Support, there's not many of us, and we are tight.

http://support.dell.com/us/en/emaildell/

Ask for me, Andrew. I'm an "AR15-dot-Com"-munist [:)] and while I don't know everything there is to know about everything, I know where and how to find out anything there is to know about anything, given a few minutes.
View Quote

Hey spearweasel.....I have a simple tech question.  Care if i email ya?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey spearweasel.....I have a simple tech question.  Care if i email ya?
View Quote

Sure. Just put my name in the body of your message through that link I posted. I'm at home now, and wouldn't be able hit all the tools and whatnot that I'd prefer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#34]
i have a dell inspiron 4000. I have had it about a year now. Have had several problems and glitches with it. I think the problems were mainly caused by the operating system (windows ME) except for one. The hard drive went out a month or so ago. It was swiftly replaced under warranty. The dell techs just ask a few general troubleshooting questions and.....BAMM! Hard drive was at my door step the next morning via air express. However, the next time i buy a computer it will be another IBM.
View Quote

[red]You may be interested to know that the hard drive you're whinning about in your Dell was probably made by IBM![/red]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#35]
We take care of several thousand of them at work and we love them! Very little problems. Can't comment on their tech support as we do that job unless it is warranty. Then we contact our local vendor who services them.

We are very fond of their servers as well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Are you guys smoking weed??  "a guy walks in a pawn shop with a computer his uncle bought him"??????
 How about " a guy steals a damn Dell computer and sells it to a guy who must have worked for one god damned day at a pawn shop"
  A guy then buys the stolen comp and wants a warranty.  Give me a break.  I knew a guy who after he "noticed my backdoor was opened"  "borrowed my tools and forgot he left them at a local pawn shop"   Now he is in jail for breaking and entering and possesion and sale of stolen property.  He must not have had an UNCLE.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I like Dells, almost always recommend them to my clients.  Dell support, why, that's a different story.  SNIP SNIP
View Quote

Most of the people that work in my group (at least) are very knowledgeable.  There are some that are dumbasses and just want to get the caller off the phone.  Remember that most of us started with this job, and will go on to be helpdesk techs, admins and so on.  Not too many people go from administration to technical support!

Things we hate are when callers call in and pull the "I'm the such-and-such administrator, and I have all these credentials, my harddrive is bad, send me a new one."  And when people think any and every error or problem is a failed peice of hardware.  

Most of us know a lot, but none of us know everything.  If you have problems with a system (this is good advice to anyone) and call support, be prepared to try a few things, maybe swap some parts between systems, or run diagnostics.  There can be a lot of misinterpretation between a customer and a technician, so be patient.  I can't count the number of times people call in and say "my computer won't turn on" when it turns on fine, but gets a BSOD when booting the OS.  

Anyway, I worked out in the field before working at Dell support, and I can tell you, I've had to call Compaq, NEC, Toshiba, Gateway and Dell.  Dell was always the easiest and quickest.  The Dell support website has always been the easiest (even if they are fu(king around with it a lot now)

If you get the run around from a tech, or think he might be wrong, remember, there's usually more than one way to skin a cat, and he might be thinking differently than you are.  If you want a second opinion, just tell him you'll do what he's suggesting, wait a while, and call back.

(the guy that wanted you to fdisk a raid 5 array... well, we do have some idiots.  I'd have told you to try forcing it online, sometimes that works with the PERC if a drive won't work.  I know that, and I'm not a server tech.)

Anyway.  THANKS FOR CHOOSING DELL!  heheheh

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
i have a dell inspiron 4000. I have had it about a year now. Have had several problems and glitches with it. I think the problems were mainly caused by the operating system (windows ME) except for one. The hard drive went out a month or so ago. It was swiftly replaced under warranty. The dell techs just ask a few general troubleshooting questions and.....BAMM! Hard drive was at my door step the next morning via air express. However, the next time i buy a computer it will be another IBM.
View Quote

[red]You may be interested to know that the hard drive you're whinning about in your Dell was probably made by IBM![/red]
View Quote

AHHHHH.....NO   The hard drive that was bad was a sanyo, fujitsu or something like that.  The drive they air expressed me was an IBM.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
BTW, have you seen OSX? It is definitely competitive.
View Quote

Speaking as a PC user, and a computer scientist, I have to agree that OSX is pretty sweet.  It's pretty, it's got the standard Mac user-friendliness, and it's got Unix under the hood.

That being said, as a developer I need my PC.  As soon as I come up with an excuse to buy a Mac I probably will though.  Maybe a dedicated Photoshop machine...

Viper Out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top