Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 1:27:04 PM EDT
I,ve been wearing the same pair of weekly diposables for 3 months with no ill effects.clean them like my old contacts. i think diposables are a marketing ploy. sell the regular contacts and have people think they need to be diposed of.no need for a new prodution line.any opnions?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your lense cleaning routine?  

Mine:
Store every night in all-in-one solution.  Once every 1-2 weeks, after the gunk builds up, do the peroxide wash.  Repeat until the lenses either tear, are used in a highly dusty environment, or I just feel like tossing them.  I generally average about 1-3 months a pair.  If they get much older then that I toss them for general principle.

Note that this isn't exactly following doctors orders, which are to wear for 2 weeks and toss.

-Lazy
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I wore the same pair of disposables for almost a year. I also wore them for nearly a month straight one time. I know that is bad for my eyes and vowed to not do it again. But I agree with your idea that it is a marketing ploy. Disposables are probably almost identical to non-disposables.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have only been wearing contacts for about 4 months.  The Doc gave me monthly disposables and told me to wear them for 3.  As a new wearer I think the longest I have got one to last is a month without tearing one but, I am getting better.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the b&l optimas, I'll usually wear a pair a week or so at a time and clean by hand with solution when I take them out and then monthly or so clean with enzyme. they don't wear out for me I've been on this pair I have in for 6 mos.

Only reason I used to throw them away before, was I was told you couldnt enzyme clean them, now that I know thats bs I'm gonna find out just how long they really last.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I never take mine out, when 2-3 monthes have passed by, I toss em.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, about 6 or 7 years ago, Dateline or one of those news shows did a story on Bauch and Lomb and how the disposable are exactly the same as the regular "non-disposable". Sort of the same gimmick as saline solution. The little bottle is made up of the same stuff as the big bottles, but the little bottle is 4X as much price wise.

So, I buy disposables off the internet at 1-800-contacts. I just use them until they happen to get a break in them or become uncomfortable. I take them out at night and clean them periodically. I save lots of money this way. I've been doing this for about 8 years and my eyes are fine. The secret is to not leave them in overnight, this is what is "bad" for your eyes. You eyes need oxygen from the front of your eye, and with the contact on there, the oxygen is blocked. Eventually your eye will grow "feeder" vessels (your eyes will look bloodshot) because they cant get oxygen from the front.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my firend used the same pair of disposables (two week disposables) for two months, and ended up with some nasty form of pink eye.

I've been wearing my two week lenses for three weeks as of now, and haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear the same pair for about 2 weeks and then toss them.  I talked to my Dr. about leaving them in for a few weeks and she said it was fine as long as they were not bothering you.  After about 3 weeks my eyes begin to get sore.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Before I had my LASIK surgery I always wore disposable soft contact lenses.  They were supposedly for one month use but I always wore them for months and months.  I never had any problems and my eyes are fine to this day.  I did clean them every night before bed, but my 12 month supply would always last me at least 2 years.  My eye doctor even told me (off the record) that there is no difference between disposables and non-disposables.  It is a marketing ploy, you are correct Wash-Ar15.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I change my out every 2 weeks, I figure the one thing I don't want to be cheap about is my eyes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I wear daily disposables for about a half a week to a week at a time. It's worked pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
beem wearing the same pair of monthlies for about three months now. no problems yet. the longest i have gone on one pair was six months so just follow good hygiene and keep them clean
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top