Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2001 8:36:39 AM EDT
I'm looking to get a new varmint rifle since I can shoot my Varmint AR on Gobmint land anymore here in the PRK.
I'm leaning toward one of the savages in 22-250. Anyone have any insight on these or other ideas?
Thanks
Scratch
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Rem. 700 ADL 22-250
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
The Howa 1500 varmint doesnt look to bad.
[img]http://www.legacysports.com/images/howa_supr_va.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
What does the Howa go for?
Do they come in left handed?
Scratch
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Rem 700 in 22-250 is awesome, great round for coyotes. The Howas line of rifles is getting some great reviews...like them alot..223 is of course still viable. .243 is a nice round for predator hunting, albeit it can cause some pelt damage. Even the 22-250 can tear things up requiring you to take out the ol' sewing kit. .17 is a re-emerging choice for those that keep pelts. Itty bitty hole, rarely an exit.

Remington, Savage, Howas, Weatherby Vanguards..they all be good.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Scratch...Howas are fairly cheap depending on what version you get. I think Wally World sells them, not sure. Good choice in my opinion. Might pick one up myself here in the near future.

Edit: I also think Turners has them, last time I was in the store in Chino, I believe I fondled one for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#6]
if you shop around you can probably get the howa for about $500
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I have Savages and Remingtons, specifically a very early 110FP in .223 that carried me through years of groundhog hunting and two Remingtons in .308 that started out as varmint synthetics.

The Savages Ive seen shoot well, you can spend a inordinate amount and not get a better shooter. But the .223 I have is a long action (they've changed that) and it irks me. The stock was horrible (replaced), trigger wasnt horrible, but not great either (swapped out), the action isnt smooth or tight. But it has never let me down. Ive got more in one
Lilja barrel than I think I paid for the whole Savage. Ive got rifles that shoot better, but not by much.

I'd recommend Savage for the money, but not a thing wrong with Remington or Howa. Or score a Wichita or Stolle Panda action and impress your friends.

If it were me, I'd go Savage and spend some money on the glass.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#10]
If your lefthanded do checkout the Savage rifles. There are at least three different aftermarket triggers available, I've adjusted the factory trigger on mine to my satisfaction,there is info on the net for doing this by the way.To sum it up mine consistently shoots under half inch groups at a 100yds.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#11]
After what I've seen and been finding out about Remington lately, I've stopped recommending them unless you can find a good clean used one.  Savage is great, and the .22-250 is probably THE cartridge.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't own a Savage yet, but I have seen some amazing 100 yargd groups out of them, there is a target at the shop a guy shot with his 110 varmiter in a .223 the 5 shot group is .077" using 75g AMAX.  

Also as far as Savage triggers go they are absolutly horrible, but there is a fix for that, [url]http://www.varminthunters.com/riflebasix.html[/url]

Link Posted: 12/1/2001 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Well the comments about the savage pretty much some up what I heard.
Can someone give me the details on a long vs a short action. If the cartrige fits a shorter action why would they make a long action?
Thanks
Scratch
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Hope I didnt confuse the issue. At present, its my understanding they make both short and long actions, as well as left and right hand. My 110 FP is nearing 10 years old; at the time they made no short actions - economy is my guess behind the lack of a short action then.  Not a huge issue, just a longer bolt stroke and a filler in the magwell. Feeds fine. The 10FP is the short action now (or 12FVSS/12FV- see the pattern). You can get short action for varmint calibers now, so dont fret.

BTW the comment above re: the stock only applies to the FP plastic stock. The wood stuff Ive seen are not bad at all.

As far as caliber, I do 90% of my varmint hunting with .223. 22-250 is flater and more a tailored varmint cartridge, I just rarely take a varmint shot more than a hundred yards due to topography.

I inherited a .220 Swift but I dont shoot it much. The other 10% is .243, basically because I have it. I like 6mm more and more. Only downsides I can think of offhand to .22-250-.243 is erosion (wear) and cost vs. .223.  

If you want a hobby reloading, rather than shooting, theres always the 6mm Ackley Improved. Let us know how things turn out.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Lumpy - nice site.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#19]
The only 2 I have experience with that are talked about here are the Savage and the Remington.  The Tactical Savage in .308 (and I assume the .223) are great shooting weapons. I like that the Savage .223 is a 1 in 9 twist tube that gives you a little better choice of bullets.  My biggest complaint is that plastic stock!

My favorite varmit rifle is my Remington 700 VS in .223 I already had reloading dies and where I hunt you don't have shots over 400 yards anyway. After break in and tuning the trigger (total cost about 3 boxes of shells) it will cut its own hole at 100 yards. The 22-250 is a great round, the one thing I like about the .223 is you can do a lot of shooting and not as much barrel heat.

If you have $400 to spend, get the Savage, $600 get the Remington VS.

MY .02
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently bought a new Ruger M77 MarkII varmint rifle in .22-250.
This is a beautiful looking & shooting rifle...
I've got nothing but good things to say about this gun...
I haven't had it out hunting yet, but it's been to the range a few times, and it's a very impressive shooter...

5 or 6 shots through a quarter at 100 yards, is "no big deal"
Easily done with this rifle right out of the box with factory loaded 50 grain Remington V-Max's...

I mounted a cheap 8-32x44mm BSA scope on it, and a nice Harris Bi-pod...
The gun weighs 9+lbs with the heavy stainless barrel, so it's a soft shooter too...
My Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag ?
That's a whole 'nother story...  

Nothing against the Savage or Remington rifles, I've owned them all...They're fine shooters too.
I just really like the looks and feel of this Ruger, it's my 1st Ruger, and after seeing the excellent workmanship & quality put into this thing, I went out and bought another Ruger...A Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.
Again, very nice gun...
(Not nice to shoot though) :-)

I'm definately sold on Ruger stuff now, regardless of their political views...  

A high quality gun sells itself...
I WILL be buying Ruger again...

...Just my 2 cents...

...ART
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#21]
TIKKA, TIKKA, TIKKA - The ones we are selling are consistently outshooting Remingtons.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#22]
[b]Gunrunner[/b]; Tikka makes a "varmi'ter"? I didnt know. Finns make nice guns. Whats the scoop on Tikka? Sako and Valmet merge to form it?; somehow they are both affiliated with Tikka. Good to see you around mate, Ill keep the Latin to a minimum.

Ruger - Im sure they are acting in their own interest, but I dont buy Ruger or Smith&Wesson new. They make nice guns, Im real partial to Rugers acid bathed stainless finish. But I cant bring myself to send them any cash. There are plenty of other decent alternatives that dont have questionable politics.

Im surprised no mention of Winchester.

[b]Scratch[/b] - would it be cheaper to move out of the PRK? Only half joking. BTW what are 'varmints' in your part of the world. I was thinking 'chucks of some kind, but curious.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Scratch,
Nothing against the Savages but, I just like the lines of a Rem 700 VS and VLS. And they shoot well also.

My 22-250 VS.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/5k/n3/v1/ml15856.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top